Gransnet forums

Chat

Live webchat with Jenny Eclair, Thursday 27 September 10-11am

(65 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Sep-12 18:22:52

We're delighted that Jenny Eclair - ex-Loose Woman, novelist, Perrier winner and survivor of I'm A Celebrity - is joining us for a live webchat on Thursday 27 September. Jenny has a new book out (Love, Death and Vanilla Slices) and is about to embark on a nationwide stand-up tour, something she says will give her enormous pleasure and varicose veins.
Do ask a question.

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:36:19

Elephantgran

I saw on your blog that you bought a walnut with and Adam and Eve inside for your husband's birthday. How did that go down?

Very well - last year he got a stuffed squirrel - he always wants a Bentley Continental but as Mich Jagger once sang "You cant Always Get what You Want'

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:40:56

melly

I like the title of your new book. Did you come up with it? Also - Gransnet is renowned for talking about cake - so can I ask whether you prefer vanilla slices - or eclairs?

Oddly enough, i don't eat cake - never ever ever, I had an eating disorder years ago and the one thing I never got over was cake/pudding/biscuits- I dont have a sweet tooth and I actually dislike chocolate, Id much rather have cheese

I did like cake when i was younger and growing up in the North a cream cake was a big treat, given the choice or be shot against a wall - Id rather the vanilla slice

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:43:35

effblinder

Seconding melly's question.

And also, I like your glasses. I am so bad at choosing frames, I always end up disappointed and buying something boring and safe. Any tips for getting out of my comfort zone?

Its so hard isn't it because theyre such an expensive mistake if you go wriong. I go to Cutler and Gross but I always take the old man wo is a designer and just good at knowing what suits me, I actually only have about three pairs and the thought of losing or breaking them, makes me feel sick. O occasionally wear lenses but i can read in them - so i wear them less and less, vari focals are beckoning, but Im resisting

loudmouth Thu 27-Sep-12 10:44:27

Do you ever get invited on those male-dominated comedy panel shows on television? (Mock The Week etc) I am so fed up with blokes showing off. More women showing off would be good.

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:46:43

barbarab

I think I've heard you say your daughter is a student? But do you hope she will make you a grandma one day?

PS Am I allowed to ask that?

She finished last year and has boomeranged back home for the time being! She has a years contract with Battersea Arts Centre and does some Tv running work, she makes me laugh more than anyone but she also makes me worry myself sick, its time for her to move out but London rents are so mad - as for the Grandma thing, I wouldn't dare ask, but in the meantime I have started looking at dachshunds

Fenrotherwitch Thu 27-Sep-12 10:49:40

Saw you in conversation with Chris Brookmyre in Edinburgh. As a result I have read your books and now started on his. My hubbie was with me and as a result we have a new game "spot the Breton top wearer" grin

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:52:00

plainbellysneetch

Hello Jenny!

Just how tired are you of being asked by lazy/misogynist journos (and the editors who commission them) to comment on 'are women funny/whither female comedy?' features.

Yes it does go on, but there is an interesting debate about comedy and gender, its just that the same things tend to get said. It is weird that young men particularly still dont rate female comics, Ive seen some terrible stuff on twitter, but i think the actual industry is changing and there are a lot more good working women comics around at the moment and I think Sarah Millican's Tv success is a real door opener- the worry at the moment is the sheer number of comics trying to get work, i never thought Id be in an industry that was over subscribed- but I think due to the recession, there are a lot of young bright graduates who - for lack of job offers- are giving it a go, this is both a good and bad thing, the business is bursting at the seams with talent and everyone is fighting for an audience

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:54:15

beeble

Ooh I love Jenny Eclair!!

Jenny - I noticed on twitter you describe yourself as a geriatric stand-up comic. Do you think your age is affecting your career (in a positive or negative way?)

Both, I think its given me a niche and my audience certainly reflects who and what I am- but I worry that the telly offers will dry up, Im not a new name and I think telly can sometimes be obsessed with 'new'- Oh listen I'm freelance, if I'm not paranoid about my age, I'll be paranoid about something else, its tough out there for a lot of people regardless of age- anyway I could lie- look at the state of me, Im so obviously 52!

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:56:25

bakergran

When you were in the jungle for I'm A Celeb, Jenny, what did you miss most about home?

I am never sure if I would miss my family the most or whether I would JUST WANT A FLUSHING TOILET NOW, if forced to choose.

yes the loo was quite traumatic and Im a real bath girl, so I do remember coming out and needing 7 baths before I felt vaguely human, I didn't really miss home, because I kept expecting to be out the next day and I knew whatever happened it couldn't go on forever, but it's a v surreal experience and much more hard core than I ever expected

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 10:59:02

katysgran

How many years have you been touring for? Does it get easier or harder? What do you like (or dislike) most about it? I think I would miss my own bed too much

Ive been working for thirty years, you just get used to it, I don't miind the one night stands, I get driven- because driving myself, doing a show and then driving again would be dangerous, I like my driver, i have an iPad and do you know some hotels have got much posher mattresses than I have at home. I quite like the freedom from adult resposibility and now theres an M and S at most motorway service stations, touring is much tastier

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:00:20

A big thank you to Jenny - it's been great fun here at GNHQ and she has left all the biscuits for us. Which also deserves a big thank you grin

JennyEclair Thu 27-Sep-12 11:02:01

Cheers all, if you have a nice little theatre near you, do check and see if Im on, if Im not go and see some other live comedy- we need your bums on those seats, also if you dont fancy going out, then curl up with Life Death and Vanilla Slices, if you need some persuading check out the Amazon reviews!
Jx

Greatnan Thu 27-Sep-12 12:01:49

What a great chat - she is one of my favourite comedians.

JO4 Thu 27-Sep-12 12:28:38

Ah. She sounds nice. smile