Gransnet forums

Chat

Live webchat with Sandi Toksvig - Friday 2 Nov 1-2pm

(72 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 23-Oct-12 13:26:31

We are VERY chuffed that Sandi will be coming in to GNHQ for a live webchat on Friday 2 November. An actor and comedian she is also the writer of many books, including The Chain of Curiosity, Whistling For Elephants and Hitler’s Canary among other titles. She hosts BBC Radio 4’s The News Quiz and writes a weekly column for The Daily Telegraph.

Sandi's latest book is Heroines and Harridans: A Fanfare of Fabulous Females in which she brings her trademark wit to bear on "22 portraits of as eccentric a melange of women throughout history as you are ever likely to find." All of the featured characters were terrific good fun, helped shape the world they lived in but in many cases disappeared into obscurity ( as she says, "it is not by chance that the relation of matters in the past are called ‘History’. It is, generally, ‘his story’ with many men doing grand things while the women stayed home to make the soup").

Sandi is currently touring the UK in her one person show My Valentine.

whenim64 Tue 23-Oct-12 14:31:19

You are going up and up in my estimation GNHQ! James Martin and now Sandi Toksvig! Can you give her a username and get her to join? I would love to chat with her on a few of our threads grin

tillysnana Tue 23-Oct-12 16:26:48

Is it true you live on a houseboat? And (completely unrelated - sorry) what gave you the idea for this book?

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 11:32:07

I would love to know how much of the banter on my favourite radio programme (The News Quiz) is rehearsed.

cleopatra Wed 24-Oct-12 15:38:20

I'd love to know more about your views on history and male bias. The book sounds very interesting

Bags Wed 24-Oct-12 18:14:00

Oh good! I'll look forward to this. Will try to think of a question too. But hello Sandi in the meantime.

minette Thu 25-Oct-12 12:16:37

You have such a successful career - I wondered if you had ever experienced discrimination for your age (or indeed sex/sexuality)

rosiemus Thu 25-Oct-12 13:15:13

Hello Sandy - I know you are a mum. Do you hope to be a gran one day and if so will you join us on Gransnet?

NfkDumpling Thu 25-Oct-12 13:19:52

You always seem so buoyant. Do you ever loose it and have a good rant or do you always see the funny side?

wisewoman Fri 26-Oct-12 12:07:59

No questions but just want to say I LOVE your column in Good Housekeeping. It is so wise and always always makes me smile. Thank you

NonnaLi Fri 26-Oct-12 13:28:51

Sandi was at boarding school with me (in the same dorm) and was exactly the same then - always had us in hysterics with her stories just want to say hello and congratulations on everything and look forward to reading her latest book.

penny2 Fri 26-Oct-12 15:15:13

Saw you in Chester Town Hall this week. Can you please remind me of the title and author of your of favourite book.

nainnainnain Fri 26-Oct-12 23:55:19

Hej, Sandi.
I know you can give as good as you get (or better!) but I sometimes wonder if you get fed-up with the condescending attitude of many English people towards other nations, and towards Denmark in particular?

PS Sounds as if I'm going to have to read Good Housekeeping!

Roobee Sun 28-Oct-12 12:33:44

Hej, Sandi

What ambitions do you have and what (if any) regrets?

Thanks for keeping me entertained! flowers

nanaej Sun 28-Oct-12 13:13:12

Hej Sandi,

You are a real polymath with success in writing books & plays, broadcasting, performing live shows and acting etc etc. You are an ace communicator!

You feature on my list of '6 people you have never met but would like to invite to a dinner party'! Who would feature on your list?

I have enjoyed so many of your writings and broadcasts so thank you, tak!

jeni Sun 28-Oct-12 13:59:00

Sandi. I have always enjoyed your shows (except for the one about a certain rock in the Atlantic with 14000 alcoholics clinging to it)
Is your book out yet as I am looking forward to reading it!

DavidH22 Wed 31-Oct-12 10:04:17

Did you hope to be as successful as you are or do you think you have struck lucky and taken the chances when they have come along? And following on from minette's question do you find people are more relaxed about a person's sexuality now than in the past?

GracieGran Wed 31-Oct-12 11:53:52

Welcome Sandi!

Your books are so entertaining – I actually went out to buy a replacement copy of Flying Under Bridges when I realized I’d mistakenly put it in the Oxfam box. And that’s after having read it twice. This new one sounds very interesting indeed. You must have a favourite heroine/harridan? Care to share?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 31-Oct-12 14:08:43

I have just got hold of an early copy of Heroines and Harridans - which is predictably hilarious - but I was shocked to read in the preface that there are no soup recipes in it.

How do you expect to sell a book without soup recipes?

sneetch Wed 31-Oct-12 14:12:33

You were at Cambridge with a lot of very funny people. Are you all still friends? And did that play a part in your success?

GaryDayEllison Thu 01-Nov-12 12:43:46

Just to let you know that Sandi Toksvig's new book of Fabulous Females, Heroines & Harridans, has its own Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/HeroinesandHarridans

Greendorrie Thu 01-Nov-12 15:20:00

Hi Sandi, You are such a busy lady, do you think you will ever retire, and if so, how will you fill your days?

oldflame Fri 02-Nov-12 09:02:27

It's not at all uncommon for female comedians to be lesbians. Are lesbians just funnier?

classygran Fri 02-Nov-12 09:06:55

Sandi, do you think any men will read your book?

<thinks it would be good for them>

cumberbitch Fri 02-Nov-12 09:11:51

Just clicked on the facebook page link and saw that there was a (brilliant) illustration of someone called Titana the Fat Girl.

Who on earth was Titana the Fat Girl and why would anyone give their child a name like that?