Gransnet forums

Chat

Mothers on the payroll?

(62 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:07:56

I have just read this letter in todays Telegraph, and must admit to being puzzled by the second sentence:

Mothers on the payroll

SIR – Like the Queen, I agree that motherhood is the only job that matters (Notebook, November 23). Why then are mothers who long to stay at home forced to work in order to pay for nursery fees, which are subsidised by the Government?

Why not pay mothers to stay at home with two children up to when they start school? Any more children they would have to fund themselves. This works very well in other countries, so why not here?

Gill Travers
Wimborne, Dorset

I truly don't understand what she is saying. How are mothers who "long to be at home", being "forced to work in order to pay nursery fees" ? I may well be out of touch with these matters, so if anyone can explain I would appreciate it.

Also, at risk of being shot down in flames, who does this woman think is going to provide the money for mothers to be paid to stay at home? I suppose that it will be the ubiquitous "tax payer" , i.e. us. Surely having children is a choice, and as such those making that choice should not expect to be subsidised by the rest. When I had my children the only government money I received was child allowance. I took an evening job cleaning offices for any extra income.

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone, I really am perplexed by this womans letter.

Anne58 Fri 30-Nov-12 16:52:11

Oh I don't know, Greatnan , the Beano has had it's moments!

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 16:58:58

No, it wasn't you who made the comment I referred to, Greatnan. In fact I can't remember exactly who it was - it just reminded me at the time of the way Jasper Carrott used to make fun of 'Sun readers'.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:04:03

I don't understand that letter either. I understand that nursery is good for children, but isn't it free? I mean, like school is "free". confused Or are there still not enough places?

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:06:18

Or is it only working mothers who get subsidised nursery?

Come to think of it, my DD had to pay playgroup fees. Perhaps that is what it means.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:10:08

Private day nurseries aren't free, jingl! They're bloody expensive - working tax credits go towards the fees in my DD's case, but it's still a big chunk of her actual earnings.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:18:32

Well I suppose that's what the letter writer means. Mums who would rather stay at home are being forced out to work for pay for private nursery fees. Otherwise their children will miss out on important early years education.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:21:04

I don't think that's what the letter-writer means. She's talking about day care for babies and children of any age while their parents work.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:22:43

Nothing to do with schoool education, which is of course free! Are you getting confused with nursery classes in schools, perhaps, jingl?

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:23:36

It's a really badly written letter.

Greatnan Fri 30-Nov-12 17:24:27

Every three and four year old in England and Wales is entitled to 15 hours a week of preschool provision for 38 weeks a year. I know because my grand-daughter uses it for her little girl. Whether or not the mother works is irrelevant, as is parental income.

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-12 17:25:05

The only subsidy is for pre-school children over 3 who have 15 free hours per week. My GC all had this tacked on to their private nursery care, so the fees for that came down as soon as they hit 3. Both families are a good deal better off now all the GC are at school.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:26:53

No. I'm talking about nursery education. The sort that can be legitimately had now in playgroups, local authority nurseries and private nurseries. They all have the same 'curriculum' they have to adhere to.

Usually from about two and a half until the four year olds go into reception at primary school.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:28:41

After school and holiday care still has to be paid for, though.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:29:39

I mean, perhaps these would-be SAHM's feel their children would benefit from full time nursery education but cannot afford to pay the extra money that would be required.

Riverwalk Fri 30-Nov-12 17:33:17

I have read this woman's letter 10 times and still can't make out what she's on about!

*Phoenix, are you sure you cut and pasted properly? grin

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:35:04

Yeees...I sort of see what you mean..confused

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:35:33

That was in reply to jingl.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:36:06

Riverwalk grin

Ana I'm off to cook me tea!!!

Greatnan Fri 30-Nov-12 17:36:10

The letter is badly written as it is open to different interpretations, but I got the idea that the writer just wanted to be paid to stay at home with her children, not to send them to nursery. I wonder if she thinks a single Dad should have the same privilege? I don't know which countries have this system, other than extended maternity or paternity leave in some Scandinavian countries.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:38:04

I think the 'mums being paid' thing is separate. I don't think that what she means.

confused

Gill from Wimborne - Must try harder.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:39:03

I wonder if she's a Mumsnetter? Perhaps we could contact her.

Ana pop over and try.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 17:46:45

On yer bike! grin

Riverwalk Fri 30-Nov-12 18:28:00

jO5 I wonder if she's a daughter of a Gransnetter!

Not guilty, I have sons smile

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:31:47

I might give it a try Ana, after I've eaten this dinner.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 18:48:34

How do we know how old she is, though? She might be a concerned grandmother. She might even not have children at all!