Gransnet forums

Chat

What I really want for Christmas

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 18-Dec-12 22:02:24

Evening all, this is not a "beauty queen" type thing, where they all want world peace, although I'm sure we would all go for that, but a place to put things that we, as individuals, would like, and that might be achievable. (Without this caveat I'm sure we could all fill a thousand pages)

I would like to get a job, for Mr P to have a job with more security, to rebuild my relationship with my mother, to feel able to come off the anti depressants (although that could be linked to getting a job) for my DS1 to resolve his current problems successfully.

celebgran Fri 21-Dec-12 17:32:56

aagh thanks Jess M I must really get a grip, we spent lunch time trying work out a plan for 2013 so as not to keep on ruinining our lives, did not really work and I got all het up about applying to court which I want to do and OH does not.

mmmm got think of my b pressure!!

Ella46 I have suffered depression it is awful, do hope it lifts for your daughter.flowers

crimson Wed 19-Dec-12 22:27:05

D'y'know a good nights sleep made everything look a lot better and a trip into work today [my day off sad] proved that the problem I was having on the pooter on Tuesday wasn't actually my fault. The S.O.has just left. When I asked him what he was doing tomorrow he said he was [surprise surprise] shopping, to which I replied 'well, it's allrightforsome isn't it'. I've wanted to say that for ages. I am, at this moment in time bitchcowvenomwoman. Hope no one upsets me at work tomorrow grin. Mind you, moral is so low where I work these days that, strangely,it's bonding us together. And, the slight rift with my daughter, I think she's as unhappy about it as I am and it's time I moved on and build more bridges. And on that optimistic note I'm off to bed [me being optimistic; there's a first!!]. It won't last.....

JessM Wed 19-Dec-12 22:09:51

So true Crimson
Celeb you deserve a big real hug if I could send one.
Phoenix I got addled. I have sent apologetic PM.

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 22:07:55

crimson, I hope that something good will happen for you this Christmas to raise your spirits. You know we value you here, but there's no substitute for family. smile

crimson Wed 19-Dec-12 21:48:18

Strange isn't it that Christmas has become all about consumerism but the things that we really want are things that money can't buy sad.

Marelli Wed 19-Dec-12 20:59:21

celebgran, I know. Don't get cross with yourself.....just wait, and in time, I'm sure she'll come back. flowers xx

celebgran Wed 19-Dec-12 20:58:10

Gra nnyactivist you are very wise.

I am feeling bit low tonight, due to after effects of major row last Sat with oH AND WE both still fragile from it.

We also went to Ipswich to return some shoes I bought the day we took pressies over to grand daughters and it is way too near my daughters for my sanity this time of year!
Still we got some bits for Xmas andnot bad day really now going to crash in front of telly with some goodies from Marks!!

celebgran Wed 19-Dec-12 20:55:32

predictable here would give the world for card from my daughter at least a little one from the girls saying they liked their pressies. ANY CONTACT AT ALL!!

gET CROSS with myself that after all she has done to me It still hurts like hell being without her.

Ana Wed 19-Dec-12 20:13:24

POGS {{{hug}}}

POGS Wed 19-Dec-12 20:12:34

I'd love to be sat on the settee holding my mother's hand. [cry]

Anne58 Wed 19-Dec-12 20:01:19

Sorry, meant to add that my GP thinks the depression was a reaction to being made redundant.

Anne58 Wed 19-Dec-12 20:00:29

JessM , the problem is that I don't have a job at all. I was made redundant from a Business Development Manager role back in March, I spent a very miserable 3 weeks in July working at the caravan park & then was sacked (thank god!) I did a couple of threads on here about it!

I have applied for so many jobs that I have truly lost count, but so far nothing.

crimson Wed 19-Dec-12 14:42:27

Mum passed on years ago, bless her. Dear old thing that she was if she was around now that really would be the straw that broke etc etc. Twenty years on I still shake whenever the phone rings!

CHEELU Wed 19-Dec-12 13:35:29

Phoenix I would like to reconcile with My Mother too but its too late for me, she has passed.........If your Mum has done nothing seriously wrong, you could make that call.... x x

granjura Wed 19-Dec-12 13:18:49

Is for our 2 daughters to get close together again - and for my grand-son's severe allergies to disappear, so he can live a normal life. Nothing else matters to me.

JessM Wed 19-Dec-12 12:52:19

Phoenix, my little fiery-feathered chicken. There is a certain irony in you being on anti-depressants given where you work.
I seem to remember it is rural, and I presume not many other jobs around or I would suggest look for another one.
Does not seem much to wish for does it, we would like to know that our kids are healthy and solvent - happy would be a bonus - and we would like to have harmonious relationships with close family members. Oh and seeing our grandchildren now and again would be good, Santa.
My DS1 has now completed his drive across the Nullarbor Plain and reached Perth and his family. He sounds massively relieved, bless him, from his text. So I am pleased about that today.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain

grannyactivist Wed 19-Dec-12 12:49:04

Crimson I think Christmas is a time that sometimes brings into focus the things in life that aren't the way we'd like them to be - and relationships and health matters seem to top the charts. I hope that next year will bring the changes you need in order to get more enjoyment out of life. Perhaps a 'personal audit' of things you can do to effect change might be a January target?

As for me, I'm actually quite content with my life. There are things I would change in a heartbeat if I had a magic wand, but I'm sage enough now to realise that I need to 'let go' of the things over which I have no control. I realise that in having the basics of life I am very, very fortunate and I know that life can change - for better or worse - in the blink of an eye.

jO5 Wed 19-Dec-12 12:32:24

We do.

Movedalot Wed 19-Dec-12 12:27:34

Crimson just because others have problems which you think are worse than yours it doesn't make yours miniscule. You are ahving a rough time and I think we all send our sympathy.

crimson Wed 19-Dec-12 11:30:44

Not actually feeling bad about pouring my problems out to my son other than the fact that, of everything kicking off in my life at the moment he's the only person not causing any bother [he's always been the same, bless him]. And it's not the children, it's the work/life/relationships balance that has gone wrong and I'm desperate to retire [which I can't afford to do]. I don't agree about the friendship/drawbridge thing, I'm afraid; I doubt that many of us are close 'friends' with our children [I always thought my daughter was my best friend but I think a mother daughter relationship is more complicated than friendship] and how many of us can detach ourselves from what happens in our childrens lives? I think a lot of us are floating around in the moat [and we all know what used to go into moats confused]. But my problems are miniscule compared to so many on here and a decent nights sleep makes everything look a lot better sometimes. So I wish everyone well and as has been said earlier wish a magic wand could be waved for everyone.

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 10:04:58

Thank you, JO5. smile

Movedalot Wed 19-Dec-12 10:04:33

I hope you all get your wishes, sometimes over time things get better.

Crimson I think you should discuss with your children. Mine always know if there is something wrong and have been known to think I was in a bad mood when I was upset and react accordingly.

Apart from World Peace etc and for one member of our extended family to think of someone other than themself I am OK with life right now. No, actually I am feeling very good this morning as one of my closest friends is so well less than a week after an op for cancer and everything is looking really positive. I was so upset when I heard about her illness but it made my day to see her so well and happy yesterday. smile

jO5 Wed 19-Dec-12 09:24:07

Quote: " Our adult children can be our closest friends or we can dig a moat round ourselves and pull up the drawbridge."

That should go on the front page of GN. Good words anno. smile

kittylester Wed 19-Dec-12 08:00:46

I hope everyone's wishes come true if at all possible.

I'd like DS1 to be as he was before his stroke, still married and living in the UK with a couple of children. That was his plan before disaster struck! Failing that, I'd like a publisher to realise his book about his life is a really good read.

Id also like DS2 and DD3 to get over themselves.

Ella46 Wed 19-Dec-12 07:48:49

I would like my son to get his sight back and my daughter to stop being depressed. sad