Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you play games...of the computer variety?

(25 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 24-Dec-12 12:14:54

Reported

Anne58 Mon 24-Dec-12 12:14:51

reported

dfoidfgoi Mon 24-Dec-12 11:52:02

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AlieOxon Sun 23-Dec-12 17:38:29

I liked 'Gunman Chronicles' - and I finished it!
....it isn't quite what it sounds like and had a good ending.

Anybody had 'Urban Chaos'?

MaryXYX Sun 23-Dec-12 17:04:15

Oh dear! I am likely to betray myself a bit on this one. My favourites are "Total Annihilation" and "Civilization II". The former is a bit of a "boy" game.

AlieOxon Thu 20-Dec-12 19:00:04

MY grandson introduced me to Minecraft! He's 11, and he has sent some ideas - haven't had an update yet on that.

Joan Thu 20-Dec-12 10:45:22

I can't get into computer games. Our sons try to get both of us interested but to no avail. Mind you, I never liked chess either, nor card games.

The lads are quite disappointed in us and reckon we are missing out.

I just like gabbing on forums!!

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 23:05:47

My 8-year-old GS (trainee geek) is a Minecraft buff and has worked out how to fiddle around with programming. I suspect he'd have a lot in common with your GS, when. His 7-year-old cousin is beginning to take an interest too.

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 23:01:45

I have Angry Birds on my phone but the screen is too small. It took my youngest grandson, then just 4, to explain how it worked.

Sel Wed 19-Dec-12 23:00:28

when that's great for your Grandson, inspiring. Well done the school too for progressive thinking. My son, the one I used to play computer games with, has a big, proper job now but one of his first was for EA Games and he worked on the first Harry Potter game. It was interesting for him to see games from another perspective.

whenim64 Wed 19-Dec-12 22:36:13

Has anyone found 'Angry Gran' yet? I discovered my grandson giggling over it with his dad! I've got it on my iPad now. Very disrespectful of grannies at the beginning, but such good fun grin

whenim64 Wed 19-Dec-12 22:33:37

Alie my son and grandson went to the Disneyworld, Paris Minecon Minecraft Convention 2012, last month. My grandson is addicted to it. He met the main developers of the game, including Captain Sparklez and had the most fanastic time. It's done wonders for his programmng and coding skills, as there were lots of seminars and teaching sessions, and the school approved him having two days of the school term off. I have watched him using it in awe. He has made some quite sophisticated devices on there.

numberplease Wed 19-Dec-12 22:28:32

Now and again I have a go at Scrabble and Who Wants to be a Millionaire, but, as a simple soul, I regularly play Goldminer..............told you I was simple!

whenim64 Wed 19-Dec-12 22:24:45

Oh yes anno. Violet is the baby's name as I remember. Lovely victorian name. smile

Sel Wed 19-Dec-12 22:09:44

gracesmum if you do hear from her, mention Kate Walker and the mammoths..{fsmile]

Ariadne Wed 19-Dec-12 22:08:14

I love Angry Birds, and I have completed all the games, including Star Wars. It's fantastic when I'm in an insomniac phase.

I have and still love Scrabble, and an app which downloads crosswords daily, and various other word games.

Glad to hear that syberia is OK, gracesmum.

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 22:05:51

I'm glad about that, gracesmum. She had a little new granddaughter last time we heard from her, I think.

AlieOxon Wed 19-Dec-12 22:04:38

I play Minecraft. I either build houses or go exploring for miles....it's like my childhood thing, about drawing my own island, has come in 3D!

(I DON'T go about killing monsters on this. The monsters are pants.)

whenim64 Wed 19-Dec-12 22:01:27

Say 'hello' from me Gracesmum. I remember Syberia well. Lovely Gransnetter - it would be nice if she visited again smile

gracesmum Wed 19-Dec-12 21:45:58

I still hear from Syberia as it happens - not all Grannies disappear.wink

Sel Wed 19-Dec-12 20:59:57

Before I posted this I searched, 'pc games' and a user named 'syberia' came up. Seems like she's disappeared..but 'Syberia' was a great game. one of my favourites. Granny23 I do a lot similar, against the clock in the hope it keeps me mentally active.

The games I'm talking about though, were very immersive - like being in a book, but them some smile

Granny23 Wed 19-Dec-12 19:19:58

I am an avid gamer but have never been in the closet. I have had to give up my Gameboy and DS as poor eyesight and arthritic fingers have worsened but still playing away on my PC. Current favourities are Sims Medieval and Ores and I try to do 3 sudoku against the clock every day for the benefit of the old grey cells.

Ana Wed 19-Dec-12 18:42:15

Ooh! I like the sound of Zombie Granny...grin

Lilygran Wed 19-Dec-12 18:41:21

Definitely. Gameboy, then DS now iPad. And PC. I like the ones that tell you how much of your life you have wasted since you logged on. My dear GS are all much, much better than me at Angry Birds, Bunny Shooter, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Zombie Granny.........

Sel Wed 19-Dec-12 18:16:13

I was wondering if any here are closet gamers? I've always been an early adopter and had a Mac back in the early 90s. My son and I played games on the PC or whatever console was flavour of the month. A lot of fun and so much easier than Lego!

We used to play online Black Hawk Down against each other from different parts of the house, very tense but great fun. He's 31 now and married so it's stopped grin

I still like adventure type games that require a minimum amount of brain imput rather than shooting and hiding - any others?