Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny things my mum has said

(29 Posts)
Eloethan Sat 02-Mar-13 14:50:17

Mum was mystified by the look of confusion on the young assistant's face when she went into Boots and asked for a tube of "semen" for her hair.

We were talking about the difficulties of arranging good childcare one day when mum said "It's all right for people with plenty of money - they can just put their children into a quiche."

We visited an old friend of my dad's some years ago. He was a well-read, intellectual man and he was talking about his love of Beckett and, in particular, the play "Waiting for Godot". "Oh", Mum pipes up, "I like that. We always watch it, don't we?" There was a silence as we all sat and thought about this for a moment. I stifled a giggle when I realised that she was talking about the TV comedy "Waiting for God".

Ariadne Mon 08-Apr-13 13:57:07

My mother (she died over sixteen years ago) was always keen to keep up with modern thoughts, words etc, but didn't always get it right. She began to call people of who she disapproved w*****s, so much so that I had to try to tell her that it was a rude word. She looked puzzled and then said "But what exactly is a w****r, Ariadne?"

So then I had to explain it all to my rather prudish and very innocent mother, who had obviously never heard of masturbation, never mind the w word. She thought it was disgusting and thanked goodness my father wasn't "That sort of man."

Oh, mum!

Flowerofthewest Mon 08-Apr-13 19:12:41

Reminds me of my mother playing scrabble when she was in her 50s. She put w****r on the board, my father said "You can't put that down", "Why not?" she replied "It's a word, I don't know what it means but I know it's a word". Dad had to explain what it meant. She quickly removed it from the board.

Beancounter Mon 08-Apr-13 19:55:32

My Mum's friend has recently passed away, so sadly we can wont be hearing any more of her gems such as:
That Prespyterian crossing.
The famous actor Gregory Pep
or her favourite "Numbs the word"