Gransnet forums

Chat

Saving the world - one gift at a time

(10 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 26-Jun-13 18:53:08

Seeing the thread on adopting a leopard got me wondering what unusual gifts you've given or received along similar lines. I get quite a lot of 'gifts by proxy' and some are really imaginative. For my birthday last year my best friend twinned my toilet with one in Cambodia, I have a photo of it in my loo. grin http://www.toilettwinning.org/what-is-toilet-twinning/

Gorki Wed 26-Jun-13 19:12:03

My son had this toilet one too with a photo in his loo. I thought it was a joke when I saw it. My DH and I always buy each other this type of gift for Christmas. He is very much in favour of education for girls in The Third World so I usually send enough to train a teacher or something like that.

Deedaa Wed 26-Jun-13 21:24:46

I have bought ducks for Africa for my daughter because she loves ducks and can't have any herself and I bought ny sin a piece of rainforest that he was very pleased with.

Deedaa Wed 26-Jun-13 21:25:21

OK my son! grin

Ariadne Wed 26-Jun-13 21:40:09

Gorki you might like to look at this one too - I have been interested in it for several years after an amazing talk at a conference in the States.

www.paceuniversal.com/c/index.php

One of our DC once gave Theseua a sponsored dormouse at London zoo! But mainly we buy water related things, because providing clean water and sanitation is one of our passions. So - taps, loos, pumps etc are regular "gifts". (we do give daft presents too!)

grannyactivist Wed 26-Jun-13 23:57:42

Ariadne water is one of my passions too; hence my friend buying me a loo. I gave my sister a water pump for her 60th birthday, but as she wasn't familiar with the concept of such gifts (she lives in the States) it took quite a time to explain it to her and I'm not sure she really 'got it' even then.

Gorki Thu 27-Jun-13 08:02:28

Thanks Ariadne I've followed the link and it looks good especially with your recommendation. It is DH's birthday next month so I may well donate or sponsor a girl.

Aka Thu 27-Jun-13 08:24:41

I used to sponsor a Bangladeshi girl for years. In most instances the funding doesn't go to the girl or her family but to the village, though we could also send her little gifts. After five years, this girl, now aged 9, was barely able to write her own name. I wrote to the organisation for an explanation and found out her father had withdrawn her from school two years beforehand to help her mother with the younger children. When I threatened to withdrawn my funding there was a meeting with the father and the village elders who then insisted she was returned to school.
Within a year she could write her own letters and I now receive an annual letter and photos.

Aka Thu 27-Jun-13 08:25:46

Then aged 9, she is 13 now.

Ariadne Thu 27-Jun-13 09:31:00

Theseus had a big water project in Burkina Faso (used to be Upper Volta) which is the third poorest country in the world. He went out there, to the villages, and came back a changed man. He's always been passionate about water, but seeing the desperate need at first hand fired it even more.

One bit at a time - the starfish theory!