Gransnet forums

Chat

Houses too big for a person's needs.

(38 Posts)
bentley49 Tue 16-Jul-13 14:41:01

Owing to the shortage of housing a person who lives on his / her own should only be allowed to own / rent a 2 bedroom property.
If a spouse dies the surviving spouse should be obliged to put a property which is too large up for sale within 12 months.

Gerry

Anne58 Tue 16-Jul-13 14:44:43

Yes dear of, course, and if the dog dies they should be legally obliged to sell the kennel.

j08 Tue 16-Jul-13 14:47:02

Phoenix grin

FlicketyB Tue 16-Jul-13 14:47:49

Phoenix, the problem is the cat, sometimes its there but sometimes it goes walkabout and reappears a week later. What happens if you have had sold the cat basket or sublet it to a rabbit and it returns?

I lie awake at night worrying myself sick about dilemmas like this.

HildaW Tue 16-Jul-13 15:00:40

Methinks someone is feeling neglected.

Anne58 Tue 16-Jul-13 15:02:30

Take your point, Flickety, take your point. I obviously hadn't thought this through.

Still I've come up with a cracking idea on his other new thread! grin

Anne58 Tue 16-Jul-13 15:05:31

Bugger, just noticed a mis punctuation in my comment up there. Oh well, it's hot, that's my excuse.

What's yours, Gerry?

Anne58 Tue 16-Jul-13 15:06:00

(If he says "a pint of bitter" I may have to kill him)

Movedalot Tue 16-Jul-13 15:16:00

What makes 'too big for a person's needs'? Presumably if there is more than one person in the house this rule does not apply? confused

kittylester Tue 16-Jul-13 15:26:49

But, what if my house is sooooooooooooo enormous that no-one could afford to buy it from me? confused

granjura Tue 16-Jul-13 15:49:20

Exactly my problem kittylester, and nobody is taking my home until I'm good and ready... and nobody's business, because we've worked very hard for it all our life and never asked for a penny from anybody. So there smile

annodomini Tue 16-Jul-13 16:13:02

My house (2-up, 2-down) is bursting at the seams with all my 'stuff'. Definitely not too big for me!

Galen Tue 16-Jul-13 16:47:27

I think he must be the GIT next door! This is what he was telling me a few weeks ago when he was having a rant!

Movedalot Tue 16-Jul-13 17:46:41

Me too granjura even though we have more loos than people! grin

sunseeker Tue 16-Jul-13 17:46:46

Obviously the heat is getting too much for you Gerry grin No-one is getting me out of my house until I am good and ready, and like Kittylester says no-one could afford to buy it!

granjura Tue 16-Jul-13 18:04:36

Same here Movelot. I've got to clean the windows and I've just counted, 36... good job there is no longer a window tax!

It is actually not worth that much, up in the boonies, very old (1585) and surrounded by farms... and lots of amazing countryside. No posh kitchen, no fancy bathrooms, or fancy anything for that matter- but loads of space, a nice garden and some land. Bliss.

The sale wouldn't get us much in Surrey - yes Switzerland can be very good value if you choose carefully.wink.

HUNTERF Wed 17-Jul-13 09:57:33

Years ago I was acquainted with a man in his 20's who had a 3 bedroom semi and he lived to the west of London.
He was married and sadly his wife who was about the same age passed away.
I can remember people did ask him what he was going to do with the house and he said he was going to keep it as it had been paid for using the life assurance money.
A few years later he was married for a second time to a widowed lady about the same age and they lived in that house for a time and purchased a larger one when they had children.
If he had been forced to sell as house prices were going up fast at that time and he probably would not have been able to afford to buy a similar house at the time of the marriage.
Nobody can predict the future and just because a person is on his / her own now does not mean this will always be the case.

Frank

kittylester Wed 17-Jul-13 10:30:58

Actually, I only said 'what if' my house was soooo big. I didn't say it is blush. Though, luckily as one isn't working, we do have more loos than people. And I can't reach my windows [that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it] grin

Greatnan Wed 17-Jul-13 11:31:57

This was discussed at length on another thread, and most people agreed that just because a person lives alone it does not mean that they don't need a spare bedroom. Many older people have family to stay, and not all of them could afford hotel bills. Occasionally, they may need some care at home. If a couple has more than one bedroom, they may need to sleep apart for various reasons, such as snoring or 'restless legs'.
A home is more than a house - people often have treasured memories and will have invested much more than money in their home.
Even people in social housing!

Anne58 Wed 17-Jul-13 11:42:23

Does he ever come back, or does he just start a thread and then retire?

Gally Wed 17-Jul-13 12:13:51

I've got a big house. It's my home, it's where our children were brought up, I have lived in it for 32 years and its full of memories and just because I am on my own now I have no intention of leaving it until I want to. It's paid for, I don't owe anyone anything, I don't take Government handouts and nobody, especially BarmyBently is going to tell me what to do with what is mine. angry

HildaW Wed 17-Jul-13 12:55:19

Gally, hope this numpty post did not upset you...he is just stirring.

Galen Wed 17-Jul-13 13:11:28

Same here Gally I'm not moving

Lilygran Wed 17-Jul-13 13:27:17

Spot on, Gally!

Anne58 Wed 17-Jul-13 15:46:32

This "person" seems to have joined when I was away, can anyone tell me if he does ever come back to thread?