Gransnet forums

Chat

feeling proud to be British

(353 Posts)
seasider Sun 11-Aug-13 18:58:27

been to Blackpool air show today and had a lump in my throat when the Battle of Britain flight came over. I was so impressed with the power of the Typhoon and the sheer skill of the Red Arrows. It made me very proud to be British and if I did not have to work could do it all again tomorrow!smile

Anniebach Thu 12-Sep-13 21:20:24

Thank you Thatbags, DT understood his own countrymen yes, and his writing needed Wales. Sadly that quote has so often been used out of context, so often one assumes , perhaps wrongly, it is quoted to taunt, because it usually is , if I was wrong then I apologise.

To lighten all this - I have a framed poster of the Welsh flag and written beneath the flag is - ' English men place their wives on a pedestal, Welshmen place their wives on their flag'

Anniebach Thu 12-Sep-13 21:05:17

Nelliemoser, how kind, thank you x

thatbags Thu 12-Sep-13 19:59:03

Sorry, anniebach, if I've misunderstood your reference to DT. I think I understood greatnan's quotation though, and I think understood what DT meant. I don't really think he was being dismissive of all Welsh people, and I don't think greatnan was either. So I was left wondering why you minded it, especially as it was a quote from a man who, I think, understood very well "the Welsh character" – it shows in his writing (I'm particularly thinking of Under Milk Wood right now). Please notice that I have used quotation marks round the phrase "Welsh character", meaning that I know there is not only one kind of Welsh character. As with other nationalities, there are probably certain 'identifiers of Welshness' which will be used in a humourous, teasing, or exasperated way depending on the circumstances in which they're being used. That is my understanding of greatnan's DT quote – i.e. harmless.

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Sep-13 19:53:50

Anniebach I remember the horror of those scenes It was an appalling disaster. (((hugs)))

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 19:51:39

Quite so, absent. When asked my nationality in France (I am sometimes taken to be Scandanavian) I reply 'English'. I am afraid I have to say that all the French people I have known refer simply to Angleterre and Anglais - I don't think they understand the difference between Great Britain, the United Kingdom, or the British Isles (nor do they care!) But then, how many British people could explain it? I have sometimes talked about Pay de Galles and Ecosse and if they are followers of soccer or rugby they will know the names. I suppose that just shows that French education is rather limited. Perhaps the constituent countries of the UK are well known in other parts of the world.
The odd thing is that most forms do not allow me to use an adjective to describe my nationality - the drop down lists of nationalities gives me only UK, not 'British' - you can't say 'I am UK' can you?

I would be happy to say simply that I am European but official forms demand more detail.

absent Thu 12-Sep-13 19:28:36

How bizarre that this thread has been taken over completely by a discussion or, perhaps more accurately, argument about Wales. It just goes to show that "British" is a pretty spurious identity.

Ceesnan Thu 12-Sep-13 18:24:32

IT
_______

Please?

Anniebach Thu 12-Sep-13 17:54:06

No thatbag, you have totally not understood my reference to Dylan Thomas

thatbags Thu 12-Sep-13 17:40:17

So, Dylan Thomas can say it but not someone else. Gotcha wink

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 15:59:23

ac yr un peth i chi
(That's my lot!) smile
And Wales is still a very beautiful country.

Anniebach Thu 12-Sep-13 15:34:03

iechyd da Greatnan

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 14:49:41

Hwyl fawr, Annie.

Anniebach Thu 12-Sep-13 14:25:08

There was mention of the difficulties during the seventies, I explained the causes of the difficulties.

Riverwalk, I was not for one moment suggesting anyone would support those organisations.

Greatnan, perhaps it would have been better if you had kept your condemnation for the few people who upset you and not the whole country , as you did with your Dylan Thomas quote

Thank you for your kind words on Aberfan, I was born there, went to that school and was there that day.

I was quite happy to leave this drop, you were keen to continue

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 14:19:57

We Lancastrians don't bear grudges against whole nations! Just individuals!

whenim64 Thu 12-Sep-13 14:14:46

Try Manchester for multi-lingualism (is that a word?) Over 200 different languages spoken round here, it was announced a couple of weeks ago. It's a wonderful cosmopolitan mix, most notably around the university area and along the Oxford Road/Wilmslow Road corridor leading south out of the city centre. White English-speaking (as a first language) people are proportionally fewer amongst the population in that part of Manchester, and they live side by side in harmony for most of the time.

Ana Thu 12-Sep-13 14:10:41

My name is Ana and I have been to Mold. I didn't hear anyone speak Welsh....perhaps they didn't realise I was English! grin

Riverwalk Thu 12-Sep-13 14:08:40

Anna if you've been to Mold and know its history you'll know what I mean smile

It's very Welsh!

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 14:05:50

http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/wps/portal/english/services?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/Web+Content/Flintshire/English/Services/100003/Welsh+language

I am not sure that a country can be called bi-lingual when such a small percentage of the population speak the second language.

Ana Thu 12-Sep-13 14:02:25

Yes, I know you weren't referring to the geographical situation of Mold. I'm just saying that many other Welsh counties have a far higher percentage of Welsh speakers than Flintshire, so I don't see how it can be either the heart of Wales or the centre of 'Welsh' Wales.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Welsh_principal_areas_by_percentage_Welsh_language

There are of course other sources of similar information

Riverwalk Thu 12-Sep-13 13:52:05

Anna when I said centre of 'Welsh' Wales again I wasn't referring to geographical centre just that it's very Welsh and the majority of people seemed to speak their language.

Indeed I had some friends whose grandparents knew only Welsh.

From where do did you obtain your very precise statistics?

Ana Thu 12-Sep-13 13:41:55

Should have said 'Only 13% of the population of Flintshire...etc.

Ana Thu 12-Sep-13 13:41:07

How can Mold be at the centre of 'Welsh' Wales? Only 13% of its population speak or understand Welsh, compared with the North coast counties where the percentage can be over 50%.

I don't understand your logic, Riverwalk.

Riverwalk Thu 12-Sep-13 13:35:59

Annie I most certainly do dismiss the EDL and BNP but would never dismiss the feelings of the Welsh people.

I'm confused as to how you can bring those two organisations into this discussion.

Someone said earlier that Mold is not the centre of Wales - this is geographically true but it's at the centre of 'Welsh' Wales and there used to be a lot of anti-English sentiment - I've been on the receiving end of it!

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 13:26:23

Who has dismissed the flooding of the valley lightly? I was not a member of Liverpool council I remember the tragedy of Aberfan and how very angry I was that the Coal Board tried to wriggle out of blame. I wasn't on the Coal Board either. I am not responsible for any of the bad things that have happened in Wales or anywhere in the world. I come from the class that worked hard and suffered and I feel affinity with others who are at the bottom of the pecking order, whatever their nationality. I have said that eventually I made good friends in Mold and they were just as disgusted as I was by the behaviour of those who behaved so badly towards us. Perhaps it would have been better if you had simply said the same. It was your insistence that I must have been someway to blame that made me so angry. I didn't do anything to antagonise my neighbours in Mold. Please let this drop - you are not doing yourself or Wales any favours.

I loathe the BNP and all other groups that seek to discriminate against anybody on the basis of their nationality.

whenim64 Thu 12-Sep-13 13:12:37

.....or even a new thread about the treatment of dfferent communities by the likes of the Royal family. Completely agree with your comments about Charles and the investiture.