Gransnet forums

Chat

Everything seems to be made in China but can we trust these products!

(102 Posts)
ninny Wed 05-Feb-14 14:56:18

Trying to use natural products so looking closely at labels and packaging, but have come to the conclusion nearly everything is made in China or elsewhere. In my bathroom at the moment hand and body lotion from Marks and Spencer - made in China. Baylis and Harding bubble bath and hand cream - made in China. Cussons talcum powder - made in Thailand. This has made me question the purity of the ingredients and feeling that I do not want to use these products.

papaoscar Wed 05-Feb-14 22:56:42

Like it or not the west has encouraged the manufacture of products in China and the Far East over many years, at the expense of western economies and jobs. All this for quick-profit. Take away those products now and the west would collapse. Nobody wants to see that, so we should be starting to rebuild all those lost industries sacrificed for greed. In the meantime I'll just send out for a good Indian!

durhamjen Wed 05-Feb-14 23:28:31

Have a look in your bathroom and see how many products you have which are out of date and not used any more. Buying British and organic is maybe more expensive but at least you use the products.
I use Faith in Nature shampoo, shower gel and handwash.
Organic, BUAV and vegan. I used to use them in the guest house, too. It made the guests realise that vegetarianism is not just about food, if they hadn't realised already.

absent Thu 06-Feb-14 06:31:53

Everything is made of chemicals – even you.

Nelliemoser Thu 06-Feb-14 08:14:11

I was in our local salon the other day having my brows done there is a display of Schrammek products. The prices are appalling.

www.tlcbeautyclinic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/822/category_id/ad73a77b3eab264a74e59b6af2663bd2

£36 for 10ml & £3.60 per ml.

www.tlcbeautyclinic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/819/category_id/ad73a77b3eab264a74e59b6af2663bd2
for £47 for 50ml.

I was looking at the boxes to see the ingredients. There is a long list of very alarming sounding compounds they don't seem to be listed on the site. If I want a moisturiser I will continue with Aqueous Cream BP.

I cannot help but feel a lot of these products are extremely expensive snake oil.

ninny Thu 06-Feb-14 08:53:43

durhamjen Thank you will have a look at Faith in Nature website.

Elegran Thu 06-Feb-14 09:16:34

Aka When e-numbers were first rolled out, there was a hoax that went round like wildfire about one number, which was in all kinds of things, and credited with all sorts of dire effects and should be avoided at all costs.

It was E300 - which is ascorbic acid - vitamin C.

I read a lovely take-off of the scaremonger articles on terrible chemicals in food once. I wish I could find it again. It was about a chemical that infiltrated our whole lives, which could stop you breathing if you were surrounded by it, dissolve some substances before your very eyes, leave marks on some fabrics, and a whole lot of other bad things. It was H20.

margaretm74 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:29:08

I used to use Jason products, but not sure where to buy them now as our local health food shop closed down

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:02:55

So Elegran it looks as if H numbers are just as deadly.

I'll keep my eyes open for those in future especially H 20.

Elegran Thu 06-Feb-14 14:11:19

I couldn't find a way to do a subscript, Aka

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:17:32

I don't think it's possible Elegran anyway life's too short to go searching for subscripts.

durhamjen Thu 06-Feb-14 15:05:07

www.ethicalsuperstore.com for Jason and Faith in Nature products.

margaretm74 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:21:19

Oh, thanks, will have a look.

DD1 uses Usana products, supposed to be very pure

durhamjen Thu 06-Feb-14 16:23:47

Just been checking my emails, and www.ecogreenstore.co.uk has 25% off Faith in Nature at the moment.

FlicketyB Thu 06-Feb-14 18:00:12

Many, traditionally British products are now made overseas, but normally to the usual formulation. Major companies that have a lot hanging on their products containing what they say they contain and being true to their originals will have very strict monitoring methods for checking the product is made as always.

Yes, we hear the horror stories, but they are not limited to distant foreign countries. The horsemeat scandal was a British and European problem. I am not saying that we should not be vigilant, but we need to keep it in proportion. The horsemeat scandal hit the headlines because it was dramatic. When you read the detail, the amount of horsemeat found in most products contaminated and as a proportion of all beef productswas very small and the same applies to products made elsewhere.

Nonu Thu 06-Feb-14 19:02:37

Unless you want to pay over the odds , it has to be China I am afraid .
fact of life, nowadays

rosesarered Thu 06-Feb-14 19:28:08

I don't usually worry too much about these things, however, strangely enough about 5 days ago I used some Johnsons baby powder on myself after a shower, and I have come up in a horrid rash !!!! That was before this thread, and I haven't used talc for a while [used to use it a lot.]So, what would this do to a baby? Why is it causing a rash?

margaretm74 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:28:12

Arran cosmetics are made in Scotland, I think, and as for soap I always try to use Scottish Fine Soap (au lait) tkmaxx often have it. Using Arran soap at the moment, Christmas present, and Aveeno body lotion. Have just found out that Aveeno is made by Johnson and Johnson!

I am sure better known makes (Baylis & harding?) Have very stringent guidelines re production. If we don't buy anything made in China we are going to be severely restricted in what we buy.

thatbags Thu 06-Feb-14 19:34:45

I suspect it's the perfume, roses. I discovered years ago that baby oil gave me a rash because if the perfume. Now I only use perfume-free products: soap (usually Simple) anti-pong (what I call deodorant, Boots), shampoo (Simple or EssentialCare) moisturiser (acqueous cream) is all I use on my skin. Surcare in the washing-machine.

I haven't investigated where any of it is made except the EssentialCare which is British.

The standard of living is going up in China. That's good.

thatbags Thu 06-Feb-14 19:34:59

of not if

JessM Thu 06-Feb-14 19:38:18

You meant Hydrogen dioxide didn't you elegran - often listed on ingredients of cosmetics as aqua?
I think if you are buying something sourced in China by a major brand its quality is probably fine as far as safety is concerned.
The scary ones are the Chinese medicines that are sold on the Internet. It would be nice to think that these would be quality checked and free of any dangerous contaminants but I would not touch one with a barge pole.
Here is just one example from the MRHA (medicines regulator) - these regularly come up. In this case it is lead and mercury they are worried about.

www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Generalsafetyinformationandadvice/Herbalmedicines/Herbalsafetyupdates/Allherbalsafetyupdates/CON236908

Galen Thu 06-Feb-14 20:03:25

Surely water is di hydrogen oxide?
Or have I forgotten my chemistry?

Quite possibly as I'm apparently now a geriatric potential bed blocker!

Just had a reply to the copy of the letter of complaint I sent to the hospital from my MP.
He says he is 'appalled by the treatment I received'
We are now awaiting a response from the CE of the hospital

Watch this space!

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 20:49:09

Well it's complicated Galen but can I simply the issue thus:

The simplest systematic name of water is hydrogen oxide as you mentioned. This is analogous to related compounds such as hydrogen peroxide, hydrogen sulfide, and deuterium oxide (heavy water). Another systematic name, oxidane, is accepted by IUPAC as a parent name for the systematic naming of oxygen-based substituent groups, although even these commonly have other recommended names. For example, the name hydroxyl is recommended over oxidanyl for the –OH group. The name oxane is explicitly mentioned by the IUPAC as being unsuitable for this purpose, since it is already the name of a cyclic ether also known as tetrahydropyran.
The polarized form of the water molecule, H+OH−, is also called hydron hydroxide by IUPAC nomenclature.[47]
Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is a rarely used name of water. This term has been used in various hoaxes that call for this "lethal chemical" to be banned, such as in the dihydrogen monoxide hoax. Other systematic names for water include hydroxic acid, hydroxylic acid, and hydrogen hydroxide. Both acid and alkali names exist for water because it is amphoteric (able to react both as an acid or an alkali).

Has that answered your question?

Galen Thu 06-Feb-14 21:08:12

Hydrogen di oxide would imply two molecules of oxygen to one of hydrogen which is not possible

Galen Thu 06-Feb-14 21:10:48

Heavy water is 'heavy ' because of an increase in particles in one of the atoms, not because of extra molecules

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 21:20:28

Sorry .Galen who mentioned hydrogen dioxide?
And who said deuterium oxide (heavy water) had extra molecules?