Gransnet forums

Chat

Everything seems to be made in China but can we trust these products!

(102 Posts)
ninny Wed 05-Feb-14 14:56:18

Trying to use natural products so looking closely at labels and packaging, but have come to the conclusion nearly everything is made in China or elsewhere. In my bathroom at the moment hand and body lotion from Marks and Spencer - made in China. Baylis and Harding bubble bath and hand cream - made in China. Cussons talcum powder - made in Thailand. This has made me question the purity of the ingredients and feeling that I do not want to use these products.

durhamjen Mon 10-Feb-14 12:26:02

I have just done a search for leather cleaners for cars, and they do not list the ingredients on websites. Perhaps this is something that should be thought about by those who advertise.

Elegran Mon 10-Feb-14 12:07:04

Yes, they first knew of it when a school friend was eating peanuts in the car beside him, and he turned ill. He carries an Epipen around, and copes well himself (he is 14 now) He plays all kinds of sports -with Epipen to hand.

I would not risk it either. DD is looking for an alternative leather cleaner.

durhamjen Mon 10-Feb-14 11:13:22

I would not take the risk, Elegran. It's possible to get contact dermatitis from almond oil anyway. Does your grandson have problems with inhaling nut fumes?

Elegran Mon 10-Feb-14 10:50:49

Anyone know whether there is any almond protein in almond oil? Son-in-law has bought some leather cleaning stuff for the car seats (new posh car) which contains almond oil, but DGS has a nut allergy. SiL says there is no protein in the oil, but DD does not agree.

margaretm74 Sun 09-Feb-14 10:57:11

Last winter the c-op were selling off cloudy olive oil, they must have left it outside in the cold

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 23:50:16

No! I thomk!
Time for bed said Zebedee !
moon

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 23:49:20

I might even think!

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 23:49:01

If you put olive oil in the fridge it does go cloudy!
Bags can tell you why. It's something to do with the solidification point of different oils( I thomk)

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 23:34:35

You tried it once and it did go cloudy?

thatbags Sat 08-Feb-14 23:30:04

I think it would go cloudy. Why do I think that?

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 23:29:10

AKA neither do I! or the Italians/ Greeks/Spanish from my observation?

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 23:17:25

Sorry, didn't hear that

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 23:12:36

Thank you for sharing that M74 hmm grin

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 23:08:15

Dad used to keep olive oil in the bathroom cabinet and pour it down our ears if we weren't quick enough.

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 22:59:59

I don't keep my olive oil in the fridge...did I miss something?

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 21:03:18

I think it came with a box of nice fine talcum powder years ago, keep washing it but it stays fluffy. Can't remember, but have just seen various makes on Amazon, including just tbe powder puff

JessM Sat 08-Feb-14 20:11:09

Yes lots of them galen but none of us even know the definitive list of which do, which don't and of the ones that do, how significantly. And then what effects they have. Or what is in some of these miracle ingredients with scientific sounding names that cosmetic companies do not share research on.
I certainly do not choose to cover my arms and legs with moisturising lotions etc just because someone gave me some for xmas.
A moisturiser that was just made of natural ingredients like olive oil would need to be kept in the fridge. Apparently it is not hard to make your own with ingredients like beeswax etc
If you want a deodorant that isn't full of chemicals maybe a cologne with a plant based scent.

nightowl Sat 08-Feb-14 17:42:54

Good point Galen!

Ariadne Sat 08-Feb-14 17:34:33

Oh, I used to love a powder puff! Where di you get yours, margaretm?

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 17:04:20

Substances can be absorbed through the skin very well. Eg HRT patches, pain killers, nicotine,etc

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 16:48:35

Talcum is a mineral, but some powders are made of starch these days. I am always careful when I use talc ( I like cuticura, must look at the pack), not to throw it around or inhale it. I just pat a bit on with a big powder puff.

rosesarered Sat 08-Feb-14 16:41:49

As it gave me a rash, the Johnsons baby powder has now gone in the bin. Looked through the bathroom cabinet and found a Waitrose one, made in the UK, used that, and I am fine.

Tegan Sat 08-Feb-14 16:34:27

I use Aloe Ever Shield deodorant stick [made by Forever Living products]. Not sure what's in it, but I've used it for years [and it seems to last forever]. I do use a heavy duty deodorants if I'm going somewhere special, but that's once in a blue moon.

nightowl Sat 08-Feb-14 16:17:18

I prefer to play safe when it comes to what can be absorbed through the skin. After all, isn't it true that Greek and Roman women, as well as women in Elizabethan England suffered lead poisoning as a result of using lead face powder. We simply can't know what damage we might be doing to our bodies with the use of all these chemicals in toiletries and cosmetics.

I think a useful mantra is 'put nothing on your skin that you wouldn't put in your mouth'. Simplistic perhaps, and not something I completely live by, but something I use as a check to consider the products I am actually using.

nightowl Sat 08-Feb-14 16:01:17

Forgot to blue my link then the site went down!

m.greenpeople.co.uk/default.aspx

Also meant anti-perspirant not anti-perspiring! Flippin' iPhone!