Gransnet forums

Chat

The search for silence

(55 Posts)
thatbags Fri 21-Mar-14 11:28:21

The search for silence in the modern world. The author asks if we have become inured to unnecessary noise. Answering for myself: no.

Gally Thu 27-Mar-14 09:34:01

I love the sound of silence and am very intolerant of other peoples' noise. Sadly, like Mollie I can't have complete silence due to 3 different tinnitus sounds which plague me day and night - but I love lying in bed and hearing the wind through the trees and the sound of the waves lapping on the beach 100 yards away. The general hum of everyday life - cars, chatter, the odd aircraft overhead and children playing deadens some of my own internal sounds and is welcome and as Holly says, a visit to a big town or city soon puts one's perception of silence into perspective.

granjura Thu 27-Mar-14 09:48:47

We never had TV when I was a child- and I think teaching made me adverse to noise. When I am on my own at home, I never put TV or radio on- and just like silence + birds, cow bells and the odd tractor! OH had TV as a child, and he would have TV or radio on all the time.

Ariadne Thu 27-Mar-14 10:03:30

We don't have TV or radio on, and music only when we want to sit and listen. But we have clocks, and I love the ticking (not in the bedroom, however)
That is the only sound I need. (The seagulls drive me mad in the mornings.)

My grandfather's long case clock is in the hall, and it is a slow, measured tick. The Westminster chimes are off, however..in here there are five clocks of various ages, and one little French clock has the busiest tick ever. But I can still hear the grandfather clock in the hall.

(Theseus is a clock addict, BTW - there are also six fob watches on the bookcase behind me!)

rosesarered Sat 29-Mar-14 15:54:12

Ariadne I like the sound of seagulls but I supose you can have too much of even a good thing!I also like clocks ticking and chiming [although we do not own any like this.]I live next to a country church, but there are only bells on Sunday morning [twice] which make visitors jump, but we are used to.Sometimes bell ringing practise, but only about once a month.Lots of cawing rooks around the tall trees that ring the churchyard though.I think that all humans need a bit of silence now and again.