Gransnet forums

Chat

Earth hour - Google it

(7 Posts)
Culag Sun 30-Mar-14 13:45:10

No I wouldn't suggest that people go back to candles all the time and I agree most of us on here are sensible with their energy use. But I know many who are not and the amount of light blazing out from office blocks and other buildings at night is horrendous. I suppose they claim it is for security.

janeainsworth Sun 30-Mar-14 12:53:10

Culag I think most people try to limit their energy consumption, for personal financial reasons more than a wish to save the planet.
I don't like to see businesses wasting energy by lighting up their premises needlessly, but I agree with Harrigran that a return to the energy sources of the 19th century would result in more death and injury.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers dreadful stories of children being set on fire in their nightclothes etc.

harrigran Sun 30-Mar-14 12:33:18

With difficulty I imagine Culag, I have visions of people falling and setting the place on fire with the candles.

Culag Sun 30-Mar-14 12:31:52

Yes, I think you are right, Jane but I think that if the media had taken it on and publicised it, it would do more good. Think about all the latest charity dos. I'm very concerned about the future of this planet's energy and resources, especially in view of climate change. We are not doing enough.

Elegran Sun 30-Mar-14 12:31:32

I turned off all my lights and went upstairs to look out of a top window and see the effect.

No difference as far as I could see.

janeainsworth Sun 30-Mar-14 11:55:27

Oh dear.
I've just googled it.
The words 'futile gesture' spring to mind.

Culag Sat 29-Mar-14 21:06:16

I have turned my lights out. I decided to go that bit further and not use the TV or radio. But even with 4 candles I couldn't see to read, so I turned my IPad on again! It makes you wonder how on earth people used to survive the dark nights without electricity.