Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you think they were right to ban him?

(133 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-May-14 09:44:32

why would they?

I appreciate it's quite unusual (!) but he wasn't doing any harm to anyone. confused

rosequartz Thu 15-May-14 18:04:28

I keep all my tiaras for special occasions. They can get a bit heavy to wear, must be the weight of all the diamonds.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 14:46:33

High heels look lovely on a woman young enough to be able to wear them.

Tiaras are very nice too. I have never worn one, except a fairy one on Christmas Day.

thatbags Thu 15-May-14 12:10:56

I think if it had really been just the safety aspect, whoever runs the playgroup could have come to a reasonable arrangement with the parents of the wee boy, e.g. he could still have worn his dresses, just not traily ones, and his fancy shoes but not high heels.

Ana Thu 15-May-14 10:37:20

It was you who mentioned 'in public' bags.

The main argument against the boy wearing his dressing-up clothes, at least on this forum, seems to have been the safety aspect, especially the shoes.

Think I'll leave you to it - things to do...

thatbags Thu 15-May-14 10:33:17

People often dress up in ridiculous/amazing costumes and show themselves in public.

thatbags Thu 15-May-14 10:32:26

I don't really regard a playgroup as public and the ban certainly smacks, to me, of an element of shock. Or perhaps disapproval and disgust as if the child had done something actually wrong.

Ana Thu 15-May-14 10:04:04

Anyone, male or female, would be open to ridicule if they chose to wear high heels, a trailing, sparkly frock and a tiara in public! Don't know about it being 'shocking' though...

rosequartz Thu 15-May-14 09:30:32

I don't like wearing high heels, although I must admit I tottered around in stilettos in my youth. (Stupid fashion)

thatbags Thu 15-May-14 06:55:26

Here's a controversial thought: if seeing a male, even a male child, wearing high heels and a tiara is so weird, what does that say about high heels and tiaras? Especially the high heels, I'm thinking. If it is so shocking to see them on a boy (in public shock [sarc]), to me that says a lot about high heels being idiotic things for women too, for anyone.

Likewise trailing gowns and trains.

Ana Wed 14-May-14 22:05:52

That's why I like it! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-May-14 21:55:14

Still. If you like it...... [shrug]

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-May-14 21:54:38

No. It's got 'vest' in it. hmm

Ana Wed 14-May-14 21:48:49

Vestments

Lovely word...

Ana Wed 14-May-14 21:18:37

Gowns. But the clergy don't usually wear high heels and tiaras - at least not in public!

thatbags Wed 14-May-14 21:14:48

Bang on, roseq grin

Oh! but those are robes* (like what magicians, sorry, wizards at Hogwarts wear), not dresses. Aye, right.

*robes or other funny names that I can't remember.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-May-14 20:26:11

grin grin grin

Love it!!!

rosequartz Wed 14-May-14 19:47:55

I think the church having banned him is more to do with them than him, or the other children. Sad attitude for a church.

Jinglebells - particularly when you look at what the clergy wear ....

Ana Wed 14-May-14 13:21:40

Right. Sorry, missed that.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 14-May-14 13:16:03

The story does say he wants to do ballet. That's why I mentioned Billy Elliott.

thatbags Wed 14-May-14 12:05:00

Not sure talent is necessary. I just mentioned the Austrian because clearly men dressing up as women might is perfectly acceptable sometimes. So why not at a playgroup? [rhetorical question]

Ana Wed 14-May-14 11:55:32

Hmm...not sure what talent is lurking behind a little boy's wish to dress up as a fairytale princess, but no doubt time will tell.

thatbags Wed 14-May-14 11:51:42

And, in this story, "dressing" up is frowned upon. <thinks about winner of Eurovision...>

thatbags Wed 14-May-14 11:50:35

When (and where) dancing was regarded as a thing real boys didn't do!

It's still regarded like that quite often. The idiots who think so don't realise how athletic ballet (and many other forms of dance) is. Daft bats.

Ana Wed 14-May-14 11:38:28

But Billy Elliott didn't dress up. He just liked dancing...hmm

thatbags Wed 14-May-14 11:29:18

I've been thinking about Billy Elliott with respect to this story too. And yes, I agree about the banning being more about the banners than the banned (or the banned's mum).

"More banned against than banning"... no, that doesn't work but you'll see what I mean.