Gransnet forums

Chat

beauty treatments

(23 Posts)
lynne Sat 10-May-14 12:32:25

I still think there's a market for a beautician covering the nation for us in our 60's and older. I would still like to have a full body spray tan, bikini wax etc but no way could I go to the young girl at the local salons. Look of disgust on the face of one when I last went put me off forever

ninathenana Sat 10-May-14 12:45:46

And why shouldn't you, if that's what you want.
Stupid girl, what ever she thought she shouldn't have let it show. Have you tried ringing around in your area and asking if they have a 'more mature' in every sense of the words !! person working there.

lynne Sat 10-May-14 12:54:07

she did let it show so lacking in confidence because of age it put me off....did suggest to a local salon that they might consider offering such personal treatments, as a market for increasing business, for us mature women but he didn't think it was viable...........

glammanana Sat 10-May-14 12:56:33

Those salons would most probably do a lot more business if they employed ladies say 40+ ladies who realise that anyone over 35 is not past their sell by date,we are all looking after ourselves a lot more than the ladies of my mums generation did and there is so much more disposable income which would certainly boost the bank balance of some of these salons.

lynne Sat 10-May-14 13:06:48

glammanana..agree totally....aimed at the young..if she says aw bless you once more to me when I have my moustache waxed I'll hit her haha

HildaW Sat 10-May-14 13:46:07

Although they do not do things such as tans and waxing I will always recommended Neals Yard for lovely facial and body treatments. Their attitude is a delight and you are very well looked after, whatever your age or physical state.

Nonu Sat 10-May-14 13:49:39

I used to go to the local college for treatments,
It allows the students
a] to practice, all under strict supervision.
b] Is considerably cheaper than an ordinary saloon

What is not to like.

smile

lynne Sat 10-May-14 14:40:19

Nonu...good idea....the young students can then experience treating bodies of all ages before they hit the Salons smile

glammanana Sat 10-May-14 21:22:45

Nonu I went to the salon attached to the local school about 6 months ago the girls there learn all about hairdressing etc with day release to college or another salon and had the smartest girl I have ever meet trim my hair it did take her a while with my mop being so long but she was very good,when I went in her tutor (a really nice guy who I knew anyway) asked me to let her tell me all about the make-up of the hair and how to keep it nice through your diet she was really knowledgeable and it was an absolute pleasure to go, they also do beauty treatments at special prices & I have been to a couple of their open days.

Nonu Sat 10-May-14 21:32:22

Hey, GLAM as I said earlier , "whats not to like"really & truly!!

x

Nonu Sat 10-May-14 21:41:25

PS , I have PM"D U

KatyK Sun 11-May-14 11:57:18

My sister (who is in her mid 50s) recently went to have her eyebrows shaped. The young girl said to her 'would you like me to wax your top lip?' My sister was horrified. She said 'I wasn't aware that I had any fuzz on my top lip!' She hasn't by the way shock

Deedaa Sun 11-May-14 22:08:05

According to the Sunday Express today cosmetic surgery is booming among over 60's of both sexes.

Charleygirl Sun 11-May-14 22:35:07

A while ago I went to a local salon to have my eyebrows threaded and the young girl immediately started to thread the very, very fine down at the side of my face. I leapt out of the chair and out of the door. I would think if she started threading that area, the fine down would grow back as dark brown hairs.

I go elsewhere and have my eyebrows threaded and any other area but by arrangment.

suzied Mon 12-May-14 06:43:19

I have my eyebrows and upper lip threaded by a lovely Asian lady at a local hairdressers. It doesn't make the hair grow back any darker or thicker. I find any salon with mainly Chinese or other Asian workers treat the older customer with great respect. The nail shop near me is run by Chinese women and they give pedicures etc to some really elderly ladies who can't cut their own toenails, and make a huge fuss of them.

suebailey1 Mon 12-May-14 09:16:14

I have been going to salons for years facial waxing and strangely have almost lost my eyebrows but not the moustache and bear - isn't life unfair? I haven't had any more intimate waxing not sure I could stand the pain or the look of it but you do have to find the salon you are comfortable with I should think. I tend to go by the products they use - if its a well known brand the training seems to be more comprehensive and regularly refreshed.

wingy46 Mon 12-May-14 20:38:33

I have my hair waxing and tanning done at my local salon the girls are all in their 20_30 and I have always been treated with kindness and respect

Silverfish Mon 12-May-14 20:52:55

I wish I could talk face to face with you ladies, I would hug you all.
I trained at 55 to be a complementary therapist and thought I could get a job or work self employed. |I soon learned that no-one will employ anyone over 25 or who is bigger than a size 12, or that's how it seemed. At college we had lots of older ladies and they were not afraid to show their bumps and blemishes, I am not a beautician but I do massage etc.
working self employed I found lots of people of all ages wanting massages but no-one wanted to pay, as if by my coming to their house they felt that it should be more informal so I would be told they had no money one lady gave me a bottle of massage oil, quite expensive but I noticed when I got home out of date.
Please someone reading this will you start a huge chain of beauty and complementary therapy salons for older clients with older therapists.
I personally would never go to a young girl, salon as I would feel intimidated b y the giggling girls. I m not being ageist but we have to accept that we are different as we get older.

petra Tue 20-May-14 20:58:55

My DD who is 43 has just finished her training to be a Masseuse.
She is getting lots of work. She passed her exams about a month ago and I would say she is doing at least 3 massages a week.

Galen Tue 20-May-14 21:34:27

Does she live anywhere near me?

janerowena Wed 21-May-14 10:06:51

Silverfish I so feel for you! My sister supplemented her income with non-surgical facelifts and massages with aromatherapy. In London she earnt between £50 and £100 an hour. She moved up here, I did warn her that she couldn't expect the same rates but she wouldn't listen. She had to drive to people and then set up a heavy massage bed, and cart all her stuff around, and at the most received £20 to £30 an hour. She set up a room in her house and even then only had four regular clients. Admittedly it was recession time, but living where we do most of her money went on petrol.

She felt that out here people wanted her because they were lonely, whereas in London it was because they were stressed.

If I went to have a fake tan applied, I would be feeling that I am so white that I would need to apply fake tan before I went!

brookhancok Mon 29-Sep-14 10:00:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Soutra Mon 29-Sep-14 10:42:16

Reported - might have guessed this would bring out the spammersgrin Loses something in translation I fear but gave me a laugh at the same time grin