Gransnet forums

Chat

Heartthrobs

(194 Posts)
HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 11:16:28

I'm not sure I've spelt that correctly (it doesn't look right anyway) but it gives the gist: who were your heartthrobs and has it changed over the years?

Mine were:

Clint Eastwood (in his Rawhide and spaghetti western days)
Steve McQueen

and, oddly enough

David Bowie

Now I have developed a soft spot for David Dimbleby!

janerowena Thu 12-Jun-14 11:24:08

Richard Armitage. Preferably in his Robin Hood or Spooks incarnations. Have him scrubbed and sent to my room, please.

suebailey1 Thu 12-Jun-14 11:34:25

Well it used to be Oliver Reed (storms of protest I hear) but now its Rufus Sewell as I prefer my heartthrobs to be alive.

whenim64 Thu 12-Jun-14 11:44:47

Mick Jagger and Michael Caine - it's never wavered in 50 years smile

grumppa Thu 12-Jun-14 11:52:43

Francoise Hardy, then Mrs. Grumppa.

boheminan Thu 12-Jun-14 11:59:01

Tom Conti and Alan Rickmanblush

Lona Thu 12-Jun-14 12:26:48

Howard Keel (So tall) and Hugh Jackman (just so smiley and gorgeous)

Ana Thu 12-Jun-14 12:28:40

Alan Rickman - yes!

Aka Thu 12-Jun-14 13:14:11

That fellow that looks a bit like Clint Eastwood but is funny? Worked with the fellow who does QI.
And that Irish chappy who was in the Canterbury Tales and is also funny.
hmm

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 13:18:23

I know he has become a cliché, but I still harbour a soft spot for Colin Firth. His performance in A Single Man was outstanding.

Ana Thu 12-Jun-14 13:19:40

Do you mean Hugh Laurie, Aka? confused

d4dsquared Thu 12-Jun-14 13:20:15

I had a picture of Richard Chamberlain as Dr Kildare inside the lid of my desk at school! Sidney Poitier was very easy on the eye too (as well as being a brilliant actor) in 'In the heat of the night'.

kittylester Thu 12-Jun-14 14:28:07

Lona DD3 had a real crush on Howard Keel when she was going through her 'Seven Brides' phase [aged about 8] so we took her to see him. She was enthralled all night and insisted we went to get his autograph afterwards.

He sat for ages signing autographs and when DD got to the front of the queue he asked if the autograph was for us or for her. When she said it was for herself he spent ten minutes chatting to her. She wrote to thank him and he wrote back! She was overcome and I was so impressed that he found the time to reply to a little girl! sunshine

ninathenana Thu 12-Jun-14 14:32:52

Oooh yes, Sidney Poitier was lovely. My pin up (20+pics on bedroom walls) was David McCallum. Sorry to say he hasn't aged very well.

Now it's gorgeous George grin Mr.Clooney that is in case there's any doubt.

tiggypiro Thu 12-Jun-14 14:36:45

Definately Sidney Poitier but I can just imagine my parents faces if I had been lucky enough to take him home !!

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 14:43:35

I did have a Matt Monroe phase [unbelievably!]Even my Mother gasped in amazement when I said I liked him.

Eloethan Thu 12-Jun-14 15:04:38

At school we used to write the names of our hearthrobs on our schoolbags in biro. I had a comprehensive and eclectic selection, including Cary Grant, Paul Macartney, Adam Faith, Richard Chamberlain and Fred Astaire(!). Richard Chamberlain was my absolute favourite. We must have looked a scruffy and disreputable lot.

Nowadays it's voices and personality I find most attractive. I particularly like the voices of Roger Allam and Peter Egan.

Pittcity Thu 12-Jun-14 15:17:29

Didn't a few of us mention a penchant for Philip Glenister on another recent thread ?

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 15:18:03

Denzel Washington: need I say more?

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 15:19:01

I agree * Eloethan* Roger Allam has a great voice, and Peter Egan always sounds very urbane and kind.

joannapiano Thu 12-Jun-14 15:19:25

Steve McQueen was a real action bad-boy.
Now I admire Brad Pitt. I know, I know, he's a bit too young for me. But just look at him! (swoon)

KatyK Thu 12-Jun-14 15:24:05

George Harrison - from the first time I set eyes on his lovely face grin One or two runners up - Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, lots of 60s groups/singers, Chip Hawkes from the Tremeloes, Billy J Kramer confused
and David Ginola.

Gagagran Thu 12-Jun-14 15:28:28

Well my teenage heartthrob was the one and only Elvis. I used to kiss him goodnight every night (Poster next to my bed) Then I came home from school one day and found that my parents had decided to re-decorate my room and Elvis was consigned to the bin with the old wallpaper. I was so upset!

But there's only one, real old-school heartthrob now for me, and that's the gorgeous George Clooney.

I did take a shine to the actor who played the Irish policeman in the drama serial set in Connemmara a while back - can't remember his name though!

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:29:59

Have him scrubbed and sent to my room, please.

grin

Gagagran Thu 12-Jun-14 15:30:05

It was Owen McDonnell in "Singlehanded"