Gransnet forums

Chat

Heartthrobs

(195 Posts)
HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 11:16:28

I'm not sure I've spelt that correctly (it doesn't look right anyway) but it gives the gist: who were your heartthrobs and has it changed over the years?

Mine were:

Clint Eastwood (in his Rawhide and spaghetti western days)
Steve McQueen

and, oddly enough

David Bowie

Now I have developed a soft spot for David Dimbleby!

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:31:45

If I didn't know better d4dsquared, I would swear you are my mum! Those were her two favourites smile

Mrso Thu 12-Jun-14 15:32:04

Adam Faith and Steve McQueen

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:35:18

Didn't a few of us mention a penchant for Philip Glenister on another recent thread?

I'll own to him being a relatively recent one after watching him in Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.

papaoscar Thu 12-Jun-14 15:36:24

Bridget Bardot, Doris Day, Sophia Loren, Diana Dors, Kathy Kirby, .... I must go and lie down now and take a powder!

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:36:30

Mrso - I used to like Adam Faith until I saw him on a programme and saw how short he was - I would have towered over him! Kind of put me off but, as a teen, things like that were important wink

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 15:37:42

papaoscar

I must go and lie down now and take a powder!

That did make me chuckle grin (you'll have to make do with a grin as there isn't a laugh smiley)

KatyK Thu 12-Jun-14 15:44:05

Gaga - I had a friend who was totally obsessed with Elvis. I went to the pictures with her to see Blue Hawaii. She made a complete show of herself. When Elvis was getting married in the film, my friend stood up and screeched at the top of her voice in the direction of his bride 'take your bleedin' hands off him'. blush He was extremely handsome I have to agree.

sunseeker Thu 12-Jun-14 15:48:56

As I have gotten older mine have got younger! Currently mine are: David Tennant, Gerard Butler, Colin Farrell, George Clooney (of course) and Matt Damon. Whew - I have come over all peculiar!!

Riverwalk Thu 12-Jun-14 16:05:45

Steve McQueen and Steve Ellis (of the Love Affair) were my teenage heart-throbs. smile

numberplease Thu 12-Jun-14 16:10:50

From the age of 14 and for quite a few years, I absolutely adored the ITN newscaster Huw Thomas. I actually had plans to meet and marry him, but then he spoilt it all by getting married to someone else! He disappeared from sight for many years, but I managed to trace him and received a very nice letter from him, my second, the first being in 1957. He has sadly since died.

d4dsquared Thu 12-Jun-14 16:11:27

Hollydaze - Your mum was obviously a woman of impeccable taste!! I'm sure it's passed to her daughter too as you're a Gransnetter!

phantom12 Thu 12-Jun-14 16:32:09

My number one man is Mike Nesmith from the Monkees. Others are David Essex, Kris Kristofferson, Rick Parfitt and Russell Brand .

Lona Thu 12-Jun-14 16:43:06

kitty That's a lovely story about HK. I love really tall men smile

KatyK Thu 12-Jun-14 16:44:34

I used to have a sneaky regard for Robert Horton who played Flint McCullough in Wagon Train. My older sister liked him and I was only into the Liverpool stuff, but all that creaking of leather (or was it suede) when he walked...........

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 16:52:18

To return to the OP - when I was young, and this shows my vintage: Gary Cooper. What soulful eyes he had.

Valbeasixties Thu 12-Jun-14 16:55:40

I have had such fun reading this!
Mine would include:
James Stewart
Bob Hope
Clint Eastwood
Gregory Peck
Danny Kaye
Richard Chamberlain
Billy Fury
Robin Gibb
Alan Bates
Tom Courtney
Alan Rickman
Philip Glennister
Justin Currie (Del Amitri)
As you can see I like 'interesting' faces!

merlotgran Thu 12-Jun-14 17:07:16

During my schooldays, Robert Horton pictures were all over my 'scrapbook' - remember them?

Paul McCartney came next.

I used to find the man who played Anton Meyer (George Irving) in the early episodes of Holby City drop dead gorgeous and was so furious when he left I stopped watching it!!

Now it's Philip Glenister. grin

rubysong Thu 12-Jun-14 17:11:19

Sean Bean

suzied Thu 12-Jun-14 17:52:21

I used to love all the policemen in z cars ( anyone remember them? ) one of them was Brian Blessed!

FlicketyB Thu 12-Jun-14 18:13:03

Adam Faith and Jeremy Spencer

BeeWitch Thu 12-Jun-14 18:18:14

Charles Dance (then & now) Colin Firth & Daniel Craig. Oh, and Sean Connery. Er.. and Donald Sutherland too. Yum. grin

Iam64 Thu 12-Jun-14 18:20:08

Clint, Steve McQueen, Robert Mitchum, Cary Grant, Alan Rickman, Jeff Goldblum and Leonard Cohen spring instantly to mind grin

chloe1984 Thu 12-Jun-14 18:33:29

Paul Newman ,Richard Gere , Mick Jagger , Colin Firth , Elvis Presley and my all time heart throb and still my number one , David Essex .

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 21:03:51

d4dsquared - my mum also had a 'thing' for Patrick MacNee who played Steed in The Avengers, when he came on the screen she'd say 'ooh, look at him'; I won't repeat what my Dad used to say in response grin

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 21:06:21

rubysong

Sean Bean

Is that you Geraldine grin