Gransnet forums

Chat

#everydayageism

(85 Posts)
GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jul-14 11:23:02

Haven't we all got a story to share about ageism? That promotion you deserved but never got because you’re the wrong side of 50. The sideways glances when you try to buy clothes from anywhere other than M&S. The well-meaning “at your age” comments from younger relatives. The daily misrepresentation (and under-representation) of older people in the media.

It's that pre-conception that being over 50 automatically means you want to don dowdy cardigans, knit scarves and wear slippers. Sadly, ageism doesn’t just exist, it’s a daily occurrence. Which is why we are launching #everydayageism, a platform for people of all ages to share their experiences of ageism.

Post your stories, thoughts and opinions on the thread here and help us tackle the stereotypes in today's society about what it means to be over 50.

HollyDaze Wed 02-Jul-14 11:34:33

I've come up against ageism and it isn't as though everyone doesn't know if goes on - they do. I even had an advocate say to me that ageism is more rife and racism and sexism (in job applications).

Quite how the mindset of employers can be changed to accepting older people as viable staff is another matter.

My personal experience: I applied for two jobs (admittedly I was over-qualified but I did tailor my CV and application accordingly). Not the area I have always worked in but I wanted to work but leave the job behind when I got home. I wasn't invited for an interview with the one company (didn't even acknowlege the application!) but was interviewed by the second. I was turned down for the second job as I 'had no previous experience' - I pointed out that that was factually incorrect; he said he'd get back to me after speaking to the woman who interviewed me. He came back and stated 'that [I] displayed no people skills' - I offered to provide him with numerous testimonials stating the exact opposite. He didn't reply.

Out of curiosity, I contacted the first company and asked why I hadn't heard from them and she stated, from the outset, that I 'lacked experience at the required level' - I pointed out that I was qualified and have experience of over 10 years and maybe she would like to check and see what reasons were given. She came back and stated that my application showed 'no signs of people skills' confused

Seems to be a common thread running here. I have mentioned this on other forums, much to the amusement of others who have been told exactly the same thing about their own applications.

Deferring retirement age will only work if employers are willing to employ.

Other than that, I have no direct experience of ageism.

janerowena Wed 02-Jul-14 14:34:19

I see it happening at DBH's school. He is coming up for 50 and next year will be the oldest teacher in his school. Every time an older teacher leaves, usually a Head of department, the school employs someone in their mid twenties - because they are cheaper and supposedly have more energy to work longer hours. Experience and wisdom seems to count for nothing.

It's been worrying me since he was about 35, because every school he has worked at has done the same thing and we have seen older colleagues struggle to get new jobs if they have had to move to accommodate their (younger female) partners' lives.

kittylester Wed 02-Jul-14 17:38:29

I have just applied for two volunteer posts for wich I am amply qualified/experienced. As the last time I had an interview of this sort i was 52, I will be interested to see what happens. I'll keep you posted!

HollyDaze Wed 02-Jul-14 17:44:10

Good luck Kitty - I wish you well smile

HollyDaze Wed 02-Jul-14 17:44:48

I did volunteering at a hospital for around 4 years - then I applied for a job that came up there as ward secretary (a job I could have done in my sleep) - I didn't even make the shortlist for interview! and they knew me there, all the checks done, the nursing staff and patients 'loved me' (according to the volunteer co-ordinator) but apparently not enough to actually pay me ...

janeainsworth Wed 02-Jul-14 21:22:38

As a former employer, I have to say that when we were interviewing, we would look for people who displayed enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and a willingness to work with the rest of the team.
I'm afraid that if someone gave the impression that they thought the job was easy and they could 'do it in their sleep' I wouldn't have been impressed.
Nothing to do with age, and everything to do with attitude.

HollyDaze Wed 02-Jul-14 22:05:38

Many employees are not stupid enough (myself included) to let prospective employers know that they can do a job in their sleep - as a former employer myself, I also gave the job on abililty and tended to steer clear of people that I considered to be judgemental of others.

Most prospective employees will display enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and work as part of a team - not all of them live up to their interview technique.

merlotgran Wed 02-Jul-14 22:24:57

There's a very good example of ageism over on the 'If you could ask Hilary Clinton one question' thread.

Reminds me of the older relative at a trendy dinner party. Not expected to say very much, just sit there and nod at everybody else's wonderful pronouncements.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Jul-14 22:35:50

Yes. But have we come up with any amazing questions yet?

merlotgran Wed 02-Jul-14 22:39:03

What's the point?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Jul-14 22:39:41

they're doing quite a bit better over there

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Jul-14 22:40:27

Only eight questions permitted! Wonder what the ratio of MNrs is to GNrs.

merlotgran Wed 02-Jul-14 22:42:08

So they should, it's their webchat.

It's demeaning to just pick one question. It would be better not to include us at all.

There must be some doddery old politician they can dig out for us?

HollyDaze Wed 02-Jul-14 22:42:39

I can't think of one, single, solitary question that I would want to ask her. I'm sure she's a very nice person though.

HollyDaze Wed 02-Jul-14 22:44:32

merlotgran - if you had the choice, who would you want to ask a question of and what would the question be?

merlotgran Wed 02-Jul-14 22:59:27

Just have to see who comes along, HollyDaze

Penstemmon Thu 03-Jul-14 09:39:22

I am in my early 60s. I tried to retire from paid work just after my 60th birthday so that I could offer more support to DDs for childcare, even relocated to make it easier. Have slowly got more and more work as former colleagues/contacts heard 'I had time!' I don't any more!

As a former employer I have employed people of all ages and found that age was not an indicator of experience! As my mother used to say 'It's not the experience you have, it's what you learn from it'! And it is true, you can have younger applicants who have less experience in years but can do the job brilliantly and there are those who have years 'experience' but who do not evolve! Of course the opposite is also true for both younger/older employees!

Aka Thu 03-Jul-14 09:45:10

I haven't encountered ageism for myself yet. I know it exists and I've seen it in action where others have been the target.

FlicketyB Thu 03-Jul-14 20:13:46

It is public ageism that bothers me most. The report that came out today from 'International Longevity Council' encapsulates everything I hate most about public ageism.
[[www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/communities-must-be-more-fun-for-the-elderly-to-combat-loneliness-says-age-uk-9579808.html]the automatic linking of age with a disability]

The automatic link between age and disability. There are old people and their are disabled people, the two groups are not mutually inclusive, the lumping of everyone, whether 60 or 100 in one homogenous group, the acting as if we are children to be patronised and played with (adult swings at bus stops), other ideas will be of use to multiple groups in the community, not just older people (more public lavatories, think how many parents with young children would greet these with delight, ditto benches). Planning activities for older people to keep them active. How about getting older people to take this on themselves?

I want to be treated like a normal member of society, if I have disabilities I should be accessing facilities available to all disabled people. I do not want to be treated as an amorphous mass. At 70 my needs and aspirations are very different from those of someone of 90. We are different generations. Many older people today have parents still alive.

I want to be treated as a normal sentient being, with intelligence and capacity and I do not want to be patronised

Anne58 Thu 03-Jul-14 20:24:07

As some may know, I'm job hunting again. I don't give my age or DOB in my CV, although I think that my life experience is a definite plus, as is that fact that I will never need to go maternity leave! (55 and hurtling towards 56 with all the grace of a hippo on a skateboard)

FlicketyB Thu 03-Jul-14 20:32:52

automatic linking of age with a disability

Those pesky brackets!

Nonu Thu 03-Jul-14 20:33:17

You are spring chicken !! 55 is nowt !!

Onwards and upwards I say !!

FlicketyB Thu 03-Jul-14 20:34:14

See if it works this time

automatic linking of age with a disability

FlicketyB Thu 03-Jul-14 20:34:51

Something funny is happening, Anyway the report was in the Independent today.