Gransnet forums

Chat

Anniversaries

(16 Posts)
Crow Mon 21-Jul-14 21:11:58

We've just had our 50th and we had it with our 3 offspring, their spouses and all our grandchildren. It was perfect.
Usually we exchange cards and have a special meal at home. My mother always sent us a card but that is the only one who did.

sparkygran Mon 21-Jul-14 21:06:54

I`m so glad romance is alive and well flowers[cupcakes]wine

grumppa Sun 20-Jul-14 16:04:04

Always exchange cards; always eat out as a couple. Special trips and gifts for the big ones. We honeymooned in Paris so that's where we went at 25 and 40 (doesn't stop us going at other times!).

ninathenana Sun 20-Jul-14 15:25:37

DH and I have always exchanged cards and we always received one from my mum. We've only done pressies on the important ones. We usually have a meal out too.
It's our ruby anniversary next April and we've booked a long weekend at Burgh Island in the Josephine Baker room, as I love art deco smile

lizzeegee Sun 20-Jul-14 09:57:14

We don't do cards, but I usually get flowers and we go out for a meal. As it is OUR wedding anniversary, it is just about us, so we don't include kids/stepkids etc. This year we celebrate 25 years -can't quite believe it - and we are going to Venice a deux. My daughter really wanted us to have a 'do', but lovely though it might be, it is quite stressful and often ends up being more about your guests than you.

I was 40 when we got married, hubbie 45; we thought we were getting on a bit then! When I look back at the pics, can't quite believe how youthful and fresh (relatively!) we both looked smile!!

Nanabelle Sat 19-Jul-14 21:34:53

My aunt (who recently died aged 92) always sent us an anniversary card and I was so touched. I am trying to emulate her and send cards to young couples who kindly included us in their wedding celebrations, including my nieces.
We try and go out for a meal on ours, but didn't celebrate our 40th in a special way. For our 30th, we had a lovely cruise to the Norwegian fiords, on the old QE2, before she retired. Maybe do another cruise for 50th - if we make it! Discovered the Minerva a few years ago and she is a delightful boat, only about 340 odd people and no children. Mostly older people but all with great characters with a zest for life. I can recommend her.

biddymarie Sat 19-Jul-14 21:06:09

To be quite honest my hubby is not much of a romantic,When we first got married within a few years we had the kids and finding we had less money we never bothered with Anniversaries only the main ones 15,25 30 lol
But so sure he forgets my birthday he can look out he has only done it once,Never again.Yet strangely i never forget my girls & always send then a card on their Anniversaries.

Gagagran Sat 19-Jul-14 21:05:47

It's our golden wedding anniversary next year and I want to have "a bit of a do" to include DC and DGC but not sure what form it should take. For our silver wedding anniversary we had an "open house" with a buffet and drinks on the go all day. It was good to see so many old friends and extended family but it was hard work and I don't think I am up to doing that again.

The two of us always go out for a nice lunch on the day but next year I want it to be special with our family around us, just to be thankful and grateful to look round at our little clan, who are all there because of the two of us.

janeainsworth Sat 19-Jul-14 20:45:02

It is my 44th wedding anniversary on Thursday and MrA will be in a yacht somewhere off the coast of Scotland with four of his cronies shock

So I made sure a couple of weeks ago that we went out to a dinner dance at the Gosforth Park Hotel grin

SueD Sat 19-Jul-14 20:42:49

Yes - we do. 34 years today. Second marriage for me but so different from the first in every way. smile

Greenfinch Sat 19-Jul-14 20:34:39

Our birthdays are only 3 weeks apart and our wedding anniversary comes in between so we tend not to bother with it unless it is a special one.

tanith Sat 19-Jul-14 20:11:22

We don't bother with cards or presents but usually go out for a meal..

chloe1984 Sat 19-Jul-14 20:08:47

We never really make a big deal over our anniversary always exchange cards but that's about it - sometimes the family sends a card sometimes they don't. 44 years next year so perhaps I will make a special day of.

rubysong Sat 19-Jul-14 19:51:11

We don't do cards or presents but we go out for a meal. For our silver we had a large bbq at home a couple of days before and went away for the actual day, which we spent at Warwick castle. For our ruby we went with DS2 and his GF to the River Cottage restaurant. Eight years to go to gold.

Nonu Sat 19-Jul-14 19:45:30

Hey Sparky,

We Always spend or wedding anniversary on our own , not even with our darling family!

We must be doing something right as in January gone we celebrated 43 years .

smile

sparkygran Sat 19-Jul-14 19:12:32

My DC (the 2 that are married) have absolutely no interest in their wedding anniversaries - and if it wasn`t for me and DH sending cards I sometimes wonder if they would even remember. Why is this??

Our wedding anniversary is a really important day for us and we have always made it special even this year when in June it was our 50th and DH had suffered a stroke 6 months ago it was special (ok I remember looking at him and thinking let`s just make it to the Golden) and the lovely day was organised by DD - our sons weren`t there one lives in USA and the other who is married with DGD were on their holidays in USA.

I still think and always have done that the day we married was special. Am I alone????