Gransnet forums

Chat

Bravery (not the physical kind) where does it come from?

(3 Posts)
MiceElf Mon 01-Sep-14 08:53:28

Two MPs, Simon Danczuk and Tom Watson have been incredibly brave in perusing grave immorality. They have endured threats, ostracism and whispering campaigns, and much more.

Every so often a whistle blower attracts public attention for exposing dreadful happenings. Mostly, they suffer greatly for their efforts.

On a very local and small level, how often do people allow wrong doing to go unremarked or unchallenged because the consequences of reporting or challenging are certain to be unpleasant.

I'm wondering where this bravery comes from? Do members have any examples known to them personally?

And what can be done to encourage and protect those who stand up for what is right?

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:02:26

I particularly like the quote from Edmund Burke - 'all that is needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing'. If you have this in your mind you will do the right thing regardless of personal consequences. I have had to blow the whistle several times in what I would call career limiting choices but there is no way that if something is wrong or harmful to others that I couldn't speak up.

rosesarered Mon 01-Sep-14 09:12:47

I don't have any examples to give personally,but you are probably right that on a local and small level, wrongdoing [especially in the workplace]is left unchallenged because of the possible consequences.On a higher and larger level I'm sure a lot of things are unchallenged too for the same reasons, the Rotheram fiasco being one of them.Whistle blowers always seem to suffer when it should be the opposite, but at least they have the satisfaction [hopefully] of knowing they have done the right and good thing.This bravery comes from their own character and conscience, some people are born with a stronger sense of conscience and also to a degree stubborness.You need to be like a dog with a bone about some things otherwise you would just give up. A sense of morality, ethics, and maybe in some cases religion too plays a part. The trouble is, for the great majority of people, if their jobs are put at risk, they will think twice.