Gransnet forums

Chat

I must have reached a certain age.

(9 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 16-Oct-14 08:32:25

Everyone gets the phonecalls for double glazing, PPI etc but today I've had three trying to sell me.....well I'll run through one of the calls

Caller: Hello Mrs K. I'm from ....... Have you got a few minutes?

Me: Well not really.

Caller: I just wanted to check a few things with you. Do you have a will? It's really important that you do.

Me: Yes thank you and it's updated on a regular basis....not true but an attempt to escape the next set of questions.

Caller:That's very organised of you. I wonder if you've considered your funeral. The costs of funerals are increasing at an alarming rate. Have you considered....

Me: I already have a prepaid funeral.......again not true but easier that saying I haven't.

Caller:Oh you are organised. There is one more thing we offer. We can organise power of attorney.

Me: (By now I was laughing). I may be getting older, having more blonde moments and putting the sugar in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard but I'm definitely not so far gone that I need someone else to look after my affairs.

Caller: (also laughing) Sorry just had to ask. Bye

OMG have I reached an age when I should be contemplating losing my way completely lol.

vampirequeen Thu 16-Oct-14 08:32:52

btw I'm 55

ninathenana Thu 16-Oct-14 15:04:38

vampire you are certainly not of a certain age grin

However after looking after mum, can I just say that it's better to get POA sorted now rather than trying to do it when you actually if ever need it. As long as it's prepared you don't need to actually register it until the time comes. DH and I have done ours.

sunseeker Thu 16-Oct-14 15:57:56

Like nina I have also organised both my Will and POA. I can now go ahead and enjoy myself safe in the knowledge that if I should suddenly throw off all my clothes in the middle of the supermarket someone has the authority to deal with my care grin

KatyK Thu 16-Oct-14 16:36:31

I started getting these calls when I reached 50 (I'm 65 now). At 50 I was slim and wore (in my opinion grin ) reasonably trendy clothes, but I began receiving brochures full of big knickers, elasticated waists and sensible shoes and trousers. I also received brochures for stair lifts and walk-in baths. I was not amused.

Teetime Thu 16-Oct-14 17:23:42

When I get these calls before they have uttered to many words I bark ' how did you get my number - delete from your list' and then put the phone down.

grandma60 Thu 16-Oct-14 20:32:28

KatyK I,m 61 now, but on my 50th birthday I was sent a brochure and an invitation to view a Bupa care home.

ninathenana Thu 16-Oct-14 21:59:54

My friend sent her DH's details to all of the types of companies KatyK mentions as a joke for his 50th grin

KatyK Fri 17-Oct-14 09:52:41

Strange - I only got these things when I was 50, I don't seem to get them now. Perhaps they assume that at 65 I am far too decrepit to bother with grin