Gransnet forums

Chat

Walking shoes/trainers for grandma's bunions

(19 Posts)
Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 08:55:35

I love the look of Uggs but understand from the podiatry department that they are Bad for Feet. I also saw a Facebook post yesterday of a pile of dead dogs, skinned so their fur could be made into Ugg boots. It occurs to me, the dogs may have been used to make fake Uggs - but I couldn't wear dog.

Katek Wed 07-Jan-15 18:37:55

I like Skechers.....they have some trainers which close with diagonal strap so don't look too trainer-y. I need good sole to absorb impact and these are ideal-their sizing is very good as well. Other than that my trusty Uggs are my footwear of choice, so comfy even if I did get the edge of my boot caught under brake pedal yesterday!

aliciamaas Wed 07-Jan-15 06:13:35

I use nike air max 90 shoes. I have wide feet too and its tough getting the proper size always. I usually get them online from nike shoes australia online. But they are really very comfortable and saves my feet from a lot of pain. They are well-cushioned and an ideal choice for narrow feet.

Iam64 Sun 14-Dec-14 17:10:43

Exactly, feet are the route of so many muscular skeletal problems. I'm lucky in have good GP's and a good rheumatology department nearby. The plan is to move it 12 miles to the centre of excellence. I was a patient there for many years before de-camping to our local department. I can drive and have a car, but what about people who find travel very difficult. That's the majority of arthritis and rheumatism patients, and has been me in the past sad

Tegan Sun 14-Dec-14 15:55:00

How ridiculous. The saying about horses 'no foot, no horse' applies just as much to humans. All sorts of skeletal problems start and end with the feet.

Iam64 Sun 14-Dec-14 14:43:50

That's no use then Tegan, is it. I had my feet measured at a hiking shop last year and that convinced me I should buy a size bigger in trainers and walking boots. This means my orthotics fit in easily and my toes don't get squashed. I find the staff in the good hiking/climbing shops helpful, evidently podiatry is part of their training.

Didn't the podiatrist/biomechanics practitioner fit your new orthotics into your regular walking shoes? It might be worth getting re-referred, especially as podiatry is one of the areas in the nhs to be cut. My file now says AQP ( any qualified practitioner) This means I'll be sold off to the cheapest bidder, and lose the brilliant connection between podiatry, biomechanics and rheumatology all of which are in the same local building.

Tegan Sun 14-Dec-14 12:53:23

I had some orthotics made by the NHS but they are so deep and bulky that they only fit in my ugg boots; impossible to fit them into shoes or even trainers sad.

Iam64 Sun 14-Dec-14 10:14:30

I have orthotics made by the nhs podiatry department (well, I do at the moment….) Hotters shoes are great, but the heel shape has been shortened so if you put orthotics in to the shoe, your heel will rise out of the shoe at the back. The same thing happened with Echo shoes. Podiatry recommend Hotter and Echo shoes but I wear good quality trainers much of the time. Hotters do a good trainer/shoe, and Merrill, North Face, Nike etc make excellent trainers for walking - I live in my north face pair.

Ariadne Sat 13-Dec-14 17:53:17

Chiropodists will only recommend things with Velcro, in my opinion. Oh, noooo!

Mishap Sat 13-Dec-14 17:29:55

Worth seeing if you can get them eradicated - then you can wear some tart's trotters!

But I would advise getting shoes with "walls" as I call them. In other words a separate side wall all around - this gives more space for toe movement than shoes where one piece of leather comes up from the sole.

soontobe Sat 13-Dec-14 15:13:13

Ask a chiropodist?

Teetime Sat 13-Dec-14 14:08:19

These little bunions beneath the little toe are called Morton's Neuromas - my friend just had hers done - a short small operation, short recovery a couple of stitches and she is very happy and back in normal shoes.

tanith Sat 13-Dec-14 12:36:16

Skechers do Memory foam shoes which OH swears are the most comfortable shoes he owns.. and he is difficult to please .

Tegan Sat 13-Dec-14 12:34:14

Nike Air Pegasus. I live in them. Can usually get them on offer at sportshoes.com. Bought some by mistake a few years ago when my usual Nike Air started to hurt my bunion; it was the best mistake I ever made.

loopylou Sat 13-Dec-14 12:06:56

Definitely recommend Hotters, only shoes/boots I can wear after years of getting blisters from new shoes regardless of how much I paid. Since I smashed my ankle in 8 places (now held together with pins and plates) I have to have comfortable and supportive footwear, so pleased I discovered Hotters as no need to waste time & money going anywhere else tchsmile
Good luck jellybean jean, hope you find some soon!

Liz46 Sat 13-Dec-14 10:12:41

I wear Hotter shoes, trainers or slippers all the time as I have a few problems with my feet and find they are more comfortable than any other make. They are expensive though so make sure they are o.k. before you wear them outside! Last time I bought some I was a little unsure as my foot was hurting. The young man in the shop told me to take them home and wear them in the house a bit and return them if I was not happy.

ginny Sat 13-Dec-14 08:32:53

Have you tried Hotter ? They have shops and are on line. Returning goods if not suitable is easy and I have found their customer service very good.

Jenty61 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:28:56

I wear men's trainers as I find them a better fit than ladies...

jellybeanjean Sat 13-Dec-14 04:51:28

As I can't sleep due to pain from bunionettes below the little toes of my feet, I thought I'd see if anyone can recommend some comfortable walking shoes/trainers which will accommodate the beastly little b*ggers. I have narrow feet apart from these protusions so wider fitting shoes are too sloppy. Would appreciate any advice.