Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Sunny Afternoon - the story of the Kinks

(11 Posts)
overthehill Mon 26-Jan-15 20:34:31

DH and I have recently been to see `Sunny Afternoon` the story of the Kinks.

FANTASTIC!!!! if you like/liked the Kinks this is a great show. Very noisy with all their hits, lots of dancing and a their story woven in. Great acting especially by George Maguire as Dave Davies. Total nutcase.

We had very good seats at the front row of the dress circle at the Harold Pinter Theatre.

The place was full of people over sixty, unsurprisingly of course.

J52 Mon 26-Jan-15 21:07:08

We went to see Ray Davis in concert. He was great, talked through his life, punctuated with songs - Lola had everyone one their feet joining in? x

Penstemmon Mon 26-Jan-15 21:36:02

Fingers crossed I am off to see it as a birthday present..have dropped enough hints! Waterloo Sunset is a particular favorite.

granmogo Mon 26-Jan-15 22:39:16

I saw this show last year,agree overthehill it is fantastic. Liked that the actors/singers played all the musical intuments as well. Great show.

KatyK Tue 27-Jan-15 10:50:45

I am desperate to see this! My DH isn't so keen but I will persuade him eventually. We go to see Ray Davies every few years when he tours. My sister is mad about him and we always manage to get second or third row. He is brilliant still. Everyone gets up dancing. I saw the Kinks a few times in the 60s and have a few tales to tell of running after them as they tried to get into the Birmingham Hippodrome unnoticed etcgrin My nephew, who is in his 20s and a trendy young lad, loves Ray too and sometimes comes to the shows. There are usually quite a few youngsters there who appreciate his song writing. I am envious overthehill !

ninathenana Tue 27-Jan-15 14:20:09

I was quiet keen to see this, now I'm definitely going to see it !

mrshat Tue 27-Jan-15 17:55:15

We're off to see it early February. A Christmas present to DH from our daughters, so I get to go too!!! Looking forward to it even more now!

KatyK Tue 27-Jan-15 18:13:03

envy

TerriBull Tue 27-Jan-15 18:44:30

I want to see it, in retrospect I think the Kinks were a great group, clever lyrics, particularly Waterloo Sunset. Were Terry and Julie, Terrance Stamp and Julie Christie? I believe I read that somewhere.

Tegan Tue 27-Jan-15 19:29:33

I saw a documentary about Dave Davies a while back. Everyone tends to think of Ray as being the brains behind the group but Dave was/is an amazing person. Weren't they the only group to be banned from America for being so subversive?

rosesarered Tue 27-Jan-15 20:47:13

I met Ray Davies [ I was about 12/13 at the time.] He came to our school gates now and then to collect his girlfriend for lunch [she was 17]
one day she told me he would be there and I and 2 friends could meet him.
This was because I had passed the art room where she was, and she had called me in and asked me to go and buy her a new school cardigan [our school clothes shop was in the school grounds.]She became his first wife the next year I think [she was called Raisa, and I think was Lithuanian.]
Anyway, Ray was very nice and he seemed very shy! Also very tall. He gave us a smile and an autograph.