Gransnet forums

Chat

I smiled today ...

(211 Posts)
granjura Mon 16-Mar-15 13:20:59

how about a new and happy thread, for the good bits in our lives.

So today I smiled because the first redstarts appeared in the garden and a gaggle fo noisy fieldfares.

Anne58 Fri 20-Mar-15 13:16:55

I smiled when I saw a camper van with "On an adventure before dementia!" beautifully sign written on it!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Mar-15 13:44:19

I smiled when DD1 rang to say grandson was at last getting over the sinusitis he has been suffering so badly with, and is actually eating something. (Even if it was a chocolate Easter egg!)

jo1book Fri 20-Mar-15 13:54:11

I smiled because my husband took down a jar of beetroot with a loose top (me of course) and got covered in red vinegar.

Marelli Fri 20-Mar-15 13:55:36

Well, I can't smile (even though I want to), because I bought a Spiderman hoody for my great-grandson (4) and he was so excited he jumped up and down just as I was about to kiss him....he said, "Sorry, Grandma" then dashed off singing - "SPIDERMAN, SPIDERMAN"!!!
My lip is split and bleeding but nevermind, eh! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Mar-15 13:58:06

OMG!!! grin

What we do put with! hmm grin

Anya Fri 20-Mar-15 14:11:06

Moral, never kiss a happy child.

Anya Fri 20-Mar-15 14:16:15

Trying not to LOL.

DD just rang to say her son's school had been in touch to say he has given himself a haircut. They added the scissors were blunt-ended! She's not happy as he's only 4 and is muttering about lack of supervision.

I remember her cutting her brother's hair off when she was about the age grin

I'm picking him up from school soon. I have my own blunt-ended scissors ready and a foot high stack of newspapers waiting for him to cut into strips.

That'll larn him.....at least it did his mother.

kittylester Fri 20-Mar-15 14:26:18

He he Anya!! Three of ours did that at school. And, another was given a 'haircut' by her older cousins while they were playing in a tent in the back garden. She had, apparently, always wanted a fringe and I'd never let her have one as her hair is really curly. Her cousins agreed that it wasn't fair of me so rectified the situation. They all saw my point of view when they couldn't get it to lie flat!

Marelli Fri 20-Mar-15 14:39:58

My (now 49-year-old) DD assisted the escape of her friend from under her bed by cutting off her very long plait (she'd never had her hair cut and was 6-years-old), which had become stuck in the bedframe. There wasn't really much to say about that....apart from, "How on earth did you find those scissors???" and "oh dear, I'm sorry", to her wee pal's mum shock!

loopylou Fri 20-Mar-15 14:40:35

I smiled because I've seen two tiddly little fish about an inch long, in my pond.
Hopefully they are goldfish and not more rarely seen by us golden tench.

Marelli Fri 20-Mar-15 14:40:57

You see, she did have 2 plaits and was left with one (so she was a bit unbalanced)!

tanith Fri 20-Mar-15 14:49:23

I smiled today when I walked outside the back door and realised it was warm and sunny enough to sit outside and read for a couple of hours..
Its so beautiful and after the awful dismal cloudy start this morning too...sunshine

Anya Fri 20-Mar-15 15:54:25

sunshine

kittylester Fri 20-Mar-15 20:54:59

I smiled when I was serving up chicken nuggets, chips and beans to DGD3 to find her spooning tomato sauce from her 'dipping' bowl into her mouth using the coffee measuring spoon!

Coolgran65 Fri 20-Mar-15 21:59:09

I smiled today when dgs asked why I keep the fridge and washing machine and dishwasher in cupboards.

Smiled again when his sister age 7 told me she got full marks today in school Friday test, and also last Friday. Pleases me no end because I always do 'revision with her on a Thursday. smile

Faye Sat 21-Mar-15 05:37:29

GS 7 who from a very young age has always had a fascination for rubbish. He likes to sort through it and has children's books about recycling and rubbish dumps. For Christmas he asked for a metal detector and is often found behind the shed digging in the dirt. I smiled today watching him engrossed, watching the Time Team programme. Maybe we have a future archaeologist and not a future rubbish collector.

nanamacatj Sat 21-Mar-15 06:55:25

This thread has made me smile. Thankyou all smile

janerowena Sat 21-Mar-15 13:30:55

smile I really smiled today when I came downstairs and saw that the dozen fruit buns I had left on the side to cool last night were now down to only 8.

It took me a second or two to remember that DS is home for the weekend! grin Which was why I felt the need to make buns in the first place, but even so, I had thought they might last a bit longer!

ginny Sat 21-Mar-15 14:02:04

I smiled today because the dogs did not wake me up at 6 a.m. but allowed me a lay in. Also because a friend rang and invited me for coffee and DD2 turned up unexpectedly so she was invited as well.

kittylester Sat 21-Mar-15 15:38:44

I smiled when a lady called to collect the cake DD had made for the her daughter's 21st. She said she wanted a 'show stopper' and had seen one of DD's cakes on fb. She was thrilled and insisted on paying more than the agreed price. After all the knocks, it's lovely to see her appreciated and by someone who isn't family (as we are 'just saying it' obviously!)

janerowena Sat 21-Mar-15 17:04:29

Just had another big smile session. It's DS's birthday next week and he will be back at uni, so we decided to hold his birthday today. We had cake and candles at 3.30 and he opened our presents to him. He loved them, but the look on his face when he opened a huge box and found

www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/lego-storage-bricks-traditional

was brilliant, how I wish I had had a camera on me! They even stack! No excuse for all those odds and ends hanging around now - which will make me smile some more!

kittylester Sat 21-Mar-15 18:28:28

I love those janer - glad he liked his presents.

I smiled today when DGS2 came home from a birthday party with a ball that flashes different colours when it lands on the floor. I could play with it for hours!! grin

nightowl Sat 21-Mar-15 19:00:36

I smiled at 6pm when I opened the door to my hotel room (nowhere exciting) because I am working away this weekend and staying over. After a meal in the restaurant I will have a lovely soak in the bath, get into my jim jams, into bed, and have complete control of the remote control all night. Bliss! smile

Anya Sat 21-Mar-15 19:08:15

Enjoy Nightowl there is something about having no one else to worry about but yourself which is very liberating smile

nightowl Sat 21-Mar-15 19:18:50

I could get used to this Anya!