Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Facebook

(61 Posts)
Tegan Thu 17-Sep-15 20:12:40

Anyone else having problems with Facebook [or is my pooter playing up again?].

Lona Thu 17-Sep-15 20:13:51

Not me, it seems fine.

Indinana Thu 17-Sep-15 20:14:03

Not at the moment, but I had problems with it earlier on today, couldn't get on at all. Fine now though.

Tegan Thu 17-Sep-15 20:23:41

Darn it; I've only just discovered facebook as well sad. [mind you, it's a bit upsetting when everyone else has hundreds of friends and I'm down as having...2 [sob]].

etheltbags1 Thu 17-Sep-15 20:29:09

why does everyone put silly little details on fbook such as 'Im making a lovely stew for my darling man' or, I simply cant think what to wear tonight'. Does anyone care. I just go on to see what everyone else is doing or if theres any gossip to be had.

rosequartz Thu 17-Sep-15 20:34:39

ethel grin

No photos of people's dinners on my FB tonight!
Wowee!

Lona Thu 17-Sep-15 20:46:10

No one puts that sort of thing on my fb page ethelt, you have to choose your friends carefully grin

merlotgran Thu 17-Sep-15 21:09:42

I've only got a handful of facebook friends and one of those is a border collie hmm

Marelli Thu 17-Sep-15 21:45:08

I've got quite a few, (but one of the 'few', is Ollypop the Jack Russell, next door but one). grin

pinkprincess Thu 17-Sep-15 23:53:48

I have about a dozen FB friends (boast) but most of them are relatives.Two of these relatives are addicted to FB and post just about every detail of their lives, if one is not boasting about her perfect children she is posting selfies and waiting for the comments ''You look lush'' etc.
My ex DIL defriended me after she and DS2 separated.I had to block her mother when she posted untrue and malicious comments about me and my family.It was then I discovered the evil side of FB.
I stay on it as I am in some special interest groups.My DGD1 and the family of my late sister live in London and as I am in the north east I find FB is the quickest way to keep in touch with them.

ninathenana Fri 18-Sep-15 00:13:50

I'll be your FB friend Tegan smile
I only have a handful of friends but belong to a few groups. One being the local history page.

sunseeker Fri 18-Sep-15 06:39:46

I only have a few FB friends, and they are also my friends in real life! I have never posted a selfie and no-one tells me what they are having for dinner (let alone post a picture of it!). I use it mostly to keep in touch with family abroad.

hildajenniJ Fri 18-Sep-15 12:10:46

Problems, oh yes. Someone has hacked my account and is posting things I never would. Not offensive, but not what interests me. I will have to change my password now!

Nonnie Fri 18-Sep-15 12:19:40

I think it is important that you check your settings and make it so only your 'friends' can view what you post.

I don't understand bullying on Fb as, if that happened to me, I would unfriend the person concerned.

I know of someone setting up a Fb account as someone I know and inviting their friends to be friends. We simply told Fb and they closed that account.

The only experience we have of being facejacked is when DH leaves his laptop on when our sons visit. They say things like 'I am a big fan of Justin Beiber' and other harmless things. Usually our friends realise what has happened and join in the fun!

We only have friends so don't have problems and no one every posts anything unpleasant but we do keep up with people we don't see often and share some laughs. One example is the link I posted on the rugby thread yesterday.

Tegan Fri 18-Sep-15 12:47:51

This all happened when my computer crashed yesterday. I was really enjoying it, especially the site that shows photos of where I grew up. Maybe there are so many photos on it my computer couldn't handle it. I can't see any comments so I'm hoping that my account hasn't been hacked into and someone is saying horrid things in my name sad. I'm sure a technical person could sort it out in five minutes. I now can see the potential downside of facebook but the good side is [or was] fantastic.

Falconbird Sat 19-Sep-15 06:00:32

I'm having trouble with Facebook in as much as the line of friends down the right side of my screen has gone. I reported the problem but no reply so far. I miss seeing who is on line when I am.

I think this has happened because there have been changes made - there is a dislike button now but I don't have one yet.

Marelli Sat 19-Sep-15 06:14:58

I do quite enjoy browsing on Facebook, but find it quite hilarious/ridiculous that someone would post something like, "Johnnie, I don't know how many times I have to tell you - your tea's on the table and it's getting cold!", and showing a photo of said food. Who really could care less? hmm

Lona Sat 19-Sep-15 08:03:32

Falcon Facebook is constantly changing the layout, the security, where potential friends are, etc.
It is quite annoying sometimes but you just have to keep clicking on things and exploring.smile

Tegan Sat 19-Sep-15 10:08:59

I'm back on again now but still can't seem to 'comment' or 'like'. At least i can look at pictures of my family again [the only time I see them most of the time sad]. I think my computer is struggling with all of the photos and the format does seem to have changed. Going to a retired racing greyhound event at Nottingham racecourse today that I only found out about via facebook; it really is a revelation.

NfkDumpling Sat 19-Sep-15 11:10:12

My FB has gone 'sticky' and the screen keeps freezing. I assumed it was because my iPad had updated yesterday to some supposedly fantastic new something. So far the only difference I've found is a new typeface, but last time Apple did a change like this it took a while for the different apps to settle down.

etheltbags1 Thu 24-Sep-15 16:33:46

I agree Marelli, some comments are just so boring, who really cares if you are making casserole for a darling hubby or not. Some people just have nothing better to do.

hildajenniJ Thu 24-Sep-15 20:07:05

I have the fb all, which was set in landscape mode. All of a sudden, a few days ago it changed. Now I have two sections on the oage. One is the news feed and the other is "trending". I must say In don't like it as much.

Lona Thu 24-Sep-15 20:32:35

Mine too hilda. Is that on your Hudl? There doesn't seem to be any way of changing it back on mine.

gordino Sun 27-Sep-15 23:12:47

its amazing how many friends people accumulate on facebook, they can run into thousands lol.

Nonnie Mon 28-Sep-15 10:00:12

ethel I laughed when I read your post about the boring stuff on Fb. It is the same on here sometimes, I suspect on all forums.