Gransnet forums

Chat

Policing the Posts

(53 Posts)
Gracesgran Wed 14-Oct-15 09:51:16

Perhaps it is only me but I seem to be seeing more and more incidents of people who get upset because of very small things in a post and tell the poster they may not do that or they should not say that; they have used the wrong emoticon or no emoticon, they "sound" patronising, superior, they are being bossy, they are denigrating people by denigrating their newspaper.

I wanted to start this thread in order to get the arguments about posting off the post - I am an optimist I know - as they take them over and do not allow people to talk about the subject of the thread.

It has also seemed to me that disruption seems to be the aim of some posters. There is a sense of "we don't want to talk about the subject so we will talk about anything else, however trivial in order to derail the thread. Is this really what GN is about?

Finally, and much nastier, there is occasionally a pack mentality. One person has a go a basically innocuous post and then several descend and attack the poster. It looks like a "your not in our gang" attack but I call them shark attacks - they are not nice and I imagine put some people of posting at all.

Perhaps this is just the world we live in and I am wrong even to care but I wondered how other felt. As far as I know the GN rules are quite simple and I think they would say if you have a problem just report it - don't try and tear someone to shreds.

So, why do some people think they should police others posts and is it perfectly acceptable?

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 13:58:57

Otherwise Varian I do agree with you, and because somebody does not agree with your brand of politics does not mean a personal attack or give them leave to be as snippy as possible.

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 13:59:36

However, this is an old thread which should maybe be allowed to die off now?