Gransnet forums

Chat

What day is it?

(14 Posts)
mischief Tue 05-Jan-16 22:52:09

I wrote a post in October last year about being on the verge of retiring and looking forward to it. I have now been retired for 2 months but because Christmas was coming it's not been a normal 2 months. The thing I am really having trouble with is knowing which day of the week it is. Sounds so daft.

Today is Tuesday and I thought it was Wednesday, even though the bins went out correctly yesterday (Monday). I drove to my friends house to pick her up to go to the pictures, which we have arranged for Wednesday. I soon realised it was the wrong day when she wasn't there waiting for me. Duh.

I've decided to mark the days off on the calender and see if that works. My friend suggested having a desk calender on my bedside table and tear a page off each day.

How do you do it? (or am I the only one this silly) smile

merlotgran Tue 05-Jan-16 22:56:53

I have a small calendar on the side of the fridge and write down all appointments and anything else I need to remember.

Despite this I took DH to our surgery for a routine blood test a week early, missed an appointment at the vets and muddled up the two younger DGD's birthdays because they're two weeks apart.

I'm a lost cause grin

grannyqueenie Tue 05-Jan-16 23:11:17

Hope you are able to enjoy your retirement especially now you will get a proper run at it, mischief. I always know what day it is, though over Christmas it gets confusing!! But I must admit, since leaving work, I never seem to know the date...no good looking at my watch, it's too small to read even with my specs on, I'm another lost cause, merlotgran grin

mrsmopp Tue 05-Jan-16 23:37:45

The week loses its structure when you retire and are free every day. I often get the day wrong; go the the library on the day it's closed and so on.
Must get a wall calendar and use a felt pen to cross each day off.

wot Tue 05-Jan-16 23:49:07

I use a radio clock which gets its signals over the air. It gives you the day, date and time and that's how I tell what day it is! I think you can buy them from about ten pounds. Very useful.

ninathenana Wed 06-Jan-16 00:15:07

Like grannyqueenie I loose track of the date rather than the day. Though over Christmas and NY I've been confused with the days too.
The day and date and time are in large letters on my phone, it also has all my appointments on. So I no longer use a calendar

Eloethan Wed 06-Jan-16 00:42:32

mischief I don't think you're silly at all. As a retired person there probably isn't as much need for you to know what day of the week it is unless you have already established days of the week on which you do particular things, such as meeting up with friends, attending a course, etc. etc.

Between Christmas and New Year and for a few days afterwards, I'm never quite sure what day it is and I think a lot of people are like that when there is a break in their work routine or if they are newly retired.

I hope, apart from that small concern, you are enjoying your retirement.

Aurelia Wed 06-Jan-16 13:12:25

If you are on a Windows computer mischief turn on "Gadgets" and select Calendar, it will show on your sidebar, so you will always know the date and day. smile

Coolgran65 Wed 06-Jan-16 13:24:12

Day and date is on the opening page of my phone.

Best of all is a wooden perpetual calendar that I bought off eBay for £2 which gives day, date and month. The act of changing it each morning sets the day and date in my mind (usually). It sits on the mantlepiece and the dgc love to change it.

Stansgran Wed 06-Jan-16 13:30:27

There is a date on the front of the opening screen of my iPad and if I tap it it produces a calendar . If you enter dates which can be a bit fiddly it will send you reminders for appointment. I have a cheapo month at a glance calendar which sits by the landline. And is never to be moved( glaring at DH )

grannylyn65 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:15:45

Doesn't make much difference to me! I have no life!!

Ana Wed 06-Jan-16 17:18:25

My PC tells me the date and time at the bottom rhs of the screen, and as I switch it on every morning I always know the date, if not always the actual day...grin

Deedaa Wed 06-Jan-16 20:49:51

The only thing that helps me is looking after GS2 during the week. It means I can keep track from Monday to Friday but weekends are more difficult and I have to concentrate very hard in the school holidays.

Pittcity Wed 06-Jan-16 21:05:19

I was thrown by the BBC showing Eastenders today! It's Wednesday!