Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Some history about the River Fleet in London

(10 Posts)
thatbags Sun 10-Jan-16 08:30:11

from the Daily Mail (MailOnline). Wonderful brickwork tunnels and some London placename history.

thatbags Sun 10-Jan-16 08:31:23

Found via @oldlondonnow and @BluePlaquesGuy.

LullyDully Sun 10-Jan-16 12:54:13

No time to read it now....it looks like a very interesting article. I will retook when I have time.

numberplease Sun 10-Jan-16 18:46:07

Fascinating article. I knew about the Fleet, but now I know a lot more.

Grannynise Sun 10-Jan-16 19:34:09

You certainly can hear the Fleet running in Clerkenwell, so long as you stand near a grating in the middle of a (quiet) road. I did it today.

TriciaF Sun 10-Jan-16 20:21:16

Really interesting - I didn't realise it was a river.
There used to be notorious prison called the Fleet prison, for debtors, mentioned in some of Dickens' books. I think Mr. Pickwick spent some time there.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Prison

rosesarered Sun 10-Jan-16 20:42:13

Various towns /cities have some river that runs underground nowadays,
Oxford does, and I believe Bradford, there will be others.

rosesarered Sun 10-Jan-16 20:43:11

Will read the article now, thanks thatbags

Alea Sun 10-Jan-16 23:59:12

Absolutely fascinating. Does anybody know if there are "tours" of thecLondon sewers?

absent Mon 11-Jan-16 05:35:29

There are many waterways that run underneath London. This was a serious problem when Bazelgette's sewers were being installed because records of these rivers and brooks were few and far between and also landslips and natural erosion had changed their courses over time. Not all the sewers were cut and cover; some had to be tunnelled with untested and poorly regulated drilling machines at great risk to the men working with them and the nearby population. Death rates were high.