Gransnet forums

Chat

Serving Your County

(33 Posts)
Jackthelad Sun 10-Jan-16 11:07:25

When the time came I went off to do my national service, reluctantly, but knowing it had to be done. In todays political climate I feel very strongly I would rather take what ever punishment than don the Queens uniform. To be a member of the armed services means you are trained to kill. In doing your duty in defence of your nation today should it be your misfortune to have to take life the purpose for which your county trained you, you stand grave danger of being persecuted through courts for just doing what you were sent out to do. The rules of engagement are all very fine, but when in a fire fight, fear and self preservation are upper most in your mind, not the rule book. Politicians are good at sending out soldiers to take care of them by doing their dirty work, but equally good at washing their hands of them when they have served their purpose and pretending they had nothing to do with it should it go wrong anyway. This Prosecution of our service men must stop. Until you have been under fire with little or no protection you will never fully understand.

NanaandGrampy Mon 11-Jan-16 11:28:07

Behaviours like that Anniebach can almost certainly be attributed to a number of things. The skill to do unarmed combat definitely. I can only surmise...but I'm guessing alcohol was involved too. And I'm also surmising those soldiers were not in their 30's but more likely to be in their early 20's . Those three things combined make for a disaster waiting to happen. It is why soldiers on long term detachment I.e war zones have no access to alcohol except maybe 'gunfire ' on Christmas morning!

Adding excess alcohol to the situation will always make the situation worse IMO.

granjura Mon 11-Jan-16 11:28:19

Annib I am totally with you on this.

Anniebach Mon 11-Jan-16 11:31:00

Glad someone is granjura smile

Eloethan Mon 11-Jan-16 14:12:42

I agree with anniebach. We either have rules as to how soldiers should behave on all "sides" or else say everyone can do whatever they feel compelled to do, on the basis that "it is a war situation".

The circumstances regarding the case in which Leigh Day was involved do sound very "fishy", I agree. But it is going to a disciplinary committee and if a solicitor is found to have been dishonest, she/he will be disbarred. As to the "ambulance chasing" accusation, how else people from overseas going to be alerted that they may have a claim?

In the I on Saturday - Britain's "most senior military lawyer at the start of the Iraq war has condemned the MoD for attacking law firms representing Iraqi claimants - and claims British forces were guilty of unlawful killing and torture in some cases. He said "This isn't just about human rights lawyers; there were plenty of people within the military and the military legal community who raised their concerns as well, and are still doing so."

I agree that unless someone has been in a war situation they cannot truly understand the degree of pressure that soldiers experience. However, I can see no justification for hushing up the cases of soldiers who have allegedly tortured prisoners or unarmed soldiers or beaten them to death and these cases must not be hushed up. They will have the benefit of medical and psychiatric reports to establish whether or not they were suffering from PTSD or some other mental condition at the time in question.

If successive British governments were/are truly concerned about the welfare of armed services personnel, perhaps they should concentrate on providing them and their families with decent accommodation, timely and excellent counselling and medical assistance, and help with finding new paid or voluntary work or interests if they are invalided out of the forces. In the Telegraph in 2008 it was reported that injured veterans who received a pension were then denied income support. This included a man who was receiving £58.04 per week army pension.

Anniebach Mon 11-Jan-16 14:19:26

Great post Eleothane, great

Anniebach Mon 11-Jan-16 14:23:36

In the Calais jungle there are refugees from Iraq who worked as translators for this country, we will not let them in this country and they fear for their lives in Iraq , wish they could sue

granjura Mon 11-Jan-16 14:27:18

Excellent post indeed Eloethan.