Gransnet forums

Chat

simple pleasures, what are yours.

(72 Posts)
moonbeames Mon 11-Apr-16 07:53:21

Today I was thinking of all the simple pleasures that I really enjoy where I don't really have to spend much money or travel long distances for.
Here are just two of them. When my grand-daughter (2yrs) stays overnight (yes we are very lucky) I love to get her out of her cot in the morning. Her face is fresh and her cheeks are all red and she is so warm and beautiful. So that is one great pleasure that I love.
I also really enjoy a beautiful cup of coffee made exactly how I like it at my local café. I really look forward to this and thoroughly enjoy it whilst reading a magazine.
It got me to thinking, in all the hustle and bustle of life these days I wonder what other people's simple pleasure are. Do tell.

Wilks Mon 11-Apr-16 11:43:37

Daily coffee in a local bar - it's cheap here so I can afford it.
Contact with my children and grandson.
A walk in the city/mountains/by the sea - all within minutes travel for us.
Concerts/operas/ballets.
Good theatre when I visit London.

oldgaijin Mon 11-Apr-16 11:52:18

Crisp, newly laundered, cotton bedding....one of the few pleasures of being in a hospital.

PPP Mon 11-Apr-16 12:16:51

The sound of the sea.
Sunshine.
Hanging out washing on a fine day.
Crisp bedding.
Breakfast in bed.
Knitting.
Gardening.
Smiling family.
But most of all....good health.

grannyactivist Mon 11-Apr-16 12:20:38

Conversations with my husband, knowing that he values my thoughts and opinions.
Watching birds on the feeder in the garden.
Vases of flowers in every room.
Friends popping in or phoning to chat.
Having a brilliant relationship with my mother and father in law.
Spending time with children and grandchildren because they want to be with us.

Thanks for this moonbeames - it's good to just sit and count 'blessings' and realise how many simple pleasures there are in my life.

Sheilasue Mon 11-Apr-16 12:50:30

We are an easy to please lot I love a nice cuppa with my weekly mags I can sit and put my feet up and have a good read and slurp my tea. I like to go to Greenwich Park and have a walk and sit and watch the world go by

Greyduster Mon 11-Apr-16 13:24:13

Rock pooling with my grandson; custard creams width (more appropriate, perhaps, but WITH) a cup of coffee; sitting on a gritstone boulder in the Peak District, with the sun on my face; walking by any river, anywhere - always something to see on a river!

annifrance Mon 11-Apr-16 13:38:15

hugs with DGCs and reading their bedtime story.
my dogs and cats
watching beautiful horses
watching waves crashing on a rocky shore
lying by my pool with the beautiful views, reading a good book and sipping the local rose wine, or possibly doing same on net hammock in the pool
fresh cotton bedlinen in my wonderful, huge sleigh bed
really good cup of real ground coffee
English double cream - especially if inside a homemade chocolate eclair

matson Mon 11-Apr-16 14:31:52

Sunny warm stroll along the seafront.
Flowers
Smiles
My family
And of course a clean bed.

Irishlady Mon 11-Apr-16 15:12:46

A visit from my 3 year old GD
Like so many others on here, crisp clean sheets
Going to the library and finding a book I've looking out for
My son popping round unexpectedly and asking me if I fancy going for a walk
My daughter inviting us round for dinner
Although I've been retired now for eight years I still like waking up early on a Monday morning knowing I don't have to get up for work.
Lastly, knowing that money can't buy you happiness.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Apr-16 16:38:27

Mine would be to fly off to somewhere warm and sunny with some lovely architecture and a bit of life going on.

Everything else these days seem to pall a little bit.

The garden bench in the sun with a bowl of cherries will be good again. Soon, I hope.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Apr-16 16:39:58

There's that moment when they put the plate of food in front of you in a pub, when you're really hungry.

inishowen Mon 11-Apr-16 16:57:54

That point in my Pilates class when the instructor says "please get ready for relaxation"!
Getting into bed knowing I've got a good book on the go.
Knitting, - love it.
Browsing in charity shops. Today I found an adorable dress for my granddaughter.
Reading gransnet, and Knitting Paradise on my computer every day.
Completing a crossword.
Getting hugs from the grandchildren. The youngest, who's a year old, has started putting her arms up when she's sees me. Priceless!

MiniMouse Mon 11-Apr-16 17:03:37

Seeing the first ladybird of the year yesterday smile

sweetcakes Mon 11-Apr-16 17:57:10

Annsixty its not selfish it's sanity brew flowers
When my grandson tells me he loves me and watching the tide come in

Barmyoldbat Mon 11-Apr-16 18:50:33

Going to my local coffee shop on a wet day and having a gluten free bacon sandwich, cup of good coffee and the papers.
Also going on a long bike ride in Wales on a beautiful sunny day on one of their wonderful bike trails, love it and my hot water bottle!

bartonlady Mon 11-Apr-16 19:24:43

So many things have already mean mentioned which I love, clean bed linen etc the others I would mention is visit to the chripodist! and also listening to my iPod. I have downloaded so many books and love being read to. My favourites are Timothy West reading anything by Anthony Trollope ...bliss!

blueskies Mon 11-Apr-16 19:34:17

Just feeling thankful that another mother's son isn't dropping bombs on me or mine.

carolmary Mon 11-Apr-16 21:44:56

Dear Annsixty, you are not selfish, you need your time out. Anyone who has friends/relatives with Alzheimers will know exactly how stressful (and boring) time spent with them can be, however much you love them. Enjoy your simple pleasures, you deserve them!

rubylady Mon 11-Apr-16 21:52:27

I did receive the bunch of flowers I sent to myself (from the doggie) today, they are beautiful.

I get pleasure seeing the sunset and my fairy lights come on and the buds on my magnolia tree coming on.

Other than that, it's a no go area for now, not even a cup of tea is doing it for me.

BRedhead59 Tue 12-Apr-16 08:35:32

Having a fabulous walk such as on Sunday 'Bath skyline' in perfect walking weather sunny and cool.
Having a room full of family and or friends eating and chatting
Being present at a unique event such as a Royal wedding (on the street of course)
Setting off on a holiday knowing it will be full of new experiences
There are so many

moonbeames Tue 12-Apr-16 10:45:51

Reading all these wonderful things that are simple pleasures just makes me feel fabulous.
I also love chocolate.
Watching the Autumn leaves fall and what amazing colors of red, yellow and orange they are.
Our street is full of the most beautiful trees that have their autumn best colors on at the moment, what an amazing site.
Also I love my two little cats, they are such good friends.
My first cup of tea in the morning.

elaineL Tue 12-Apr-16 17:42:46

Just reading the list of everyone's simple pleasures has made me feel better. Thank you.

1974cookie Tue 12-Apr-16 17:46:32

Seeing my Cress seeds sprout on the windowsill knowing that delicious cress sandwiches are just a few days away.
Hiking for miles cross country in all weather conditions with my Dearest Chums.
Finding a forgotten £5 note in my purse.
A big cup of Tea
Feeling like a million dollars after having my hair done.
Jeans that actually fit, feel comfortable, and look good.
Managing to open a Frey Bentos pie without losing a finger shock
Peace and Quiet in moderation

EllenT Tue 12-Apr-16 17:51:54

Hearing DGC shouting "Granny!" and hurtling towards the door when I arrive
Daffodils in the blue jug from my late mother's house
A quiet cup of tea after tidying the kitchen in the morning when DH has gone to work
Watching good television with DH, a glass of wine and some decent salted nuts
...and many of those already mentioned by others

TriciaF Tue 12-Apr-16 17:54:58

Cut half the grass (about 1500 sq m) and the mower didn't break down smile
It smells lovely as well.