Gransnet forums

Chat

simple pleasures, what are yours.

(72 Posts)
moonbeames Mon 11-Apr-16 07:53:21

Today I was thinking of all the simple pleasures that I really enjoy where I don't really have to spend much money or travel long distances for.
Here are just two of them. When my grand-daughter (2yrs) stays overnight (yes we are very lucky) I love to get her out of her cot in the morning. Her face is fresh and her cheeks are all red and she is so warm and beautiful. So that is one great pleasure that I love.
I also really enjoy a beautiful cup of coffee made exactly how I like it at my local café. I really look forward to this and thoroughly enjoy it whilst reading a magazine.
It got me to thinking, in all the hustle and bustle of life these days I wonder what other people's simple pleasure are. Do tell.

annsixty Tue 12-Apr-16 18:17:52

I pay for kindle unlimited ,£7:99 a month to borrow as many books as you like as long as you don't have more than 10 at the same time.
Today I found two books I really wanted to read and that was a very happy simple pleasure. I can't wait to get stuck into the first one.

SusieB50 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:54:16

Lovely thoughts and so many are mine too. Went for a lovely walk in the spring sun with my poorly SiL today and the bluebells are out in the woods such a beautiful sight.

NickyD47 Wed 13-Apr-16 07:50:32

Loving this. Just read some to my dh and he said "I don't hear sex mentioned at all!" Haha.

cornergran Wed 13-Apr-16 08:20:47

Blue skies
Being by the sea or a river
Finding a cafe with good gluten free cake
Sitting in the conservatory just thinking
The grandchildren's laughter
An unexpected phone call from a friend

annsixty, of course you must when you can

Mildred Wed 13-Apr-16 08:49:31

Many of the above especially a bed with clean sheet. Today having a very relaxed breakfast after minding my grandchildren yesterday. Going in the greenhouse and seeing the seeds have started sprouted, gardening with a very friendly robin watching. Found a lot of vine weevil grubs in a pot putting the soil out and watching the robin eating them whilst I drank a cup of tea. The sound of wine being poured after the bottle is opened.

Izabella Wed 13-Apr-16 08:51:17

Waking to a new day ............

Jayh Wed 13-Apr-16 10:05:13

This thread is a joy to read. Here are my simple pleasures in addition to those about grandchildren and fresh bed linen.

Watching all the episodes of a good boxed set, back to back, on a cold winter's evening while wearing my fluffy, cosy pyjamas and knitting a cardie for my granddaughter. ?

SwimHome Wed 13-Apr-16 10:47:25

Pleasant surprises are what I enjoy most.
Turning on the radio to find a favourite piece of music already playing; bulbs I'd forgotten bursting into flower in the garden; going for a walk, turning a corner and finding a beautiful view spread out in front of me; walking into a country church to find the choir practicing at that moment; phone calls or emails from loved ones; finding something precious I'd forgotten or thought I had lost; sorry I could go on for pages!

f77ms Wed 13-Apr-16 16:30:08

Reading this has really lifted my spirits and made me feel grateful for just being alive .
Opening the curtains in the morning to find the sun shining
Spending all day in the garden pottering
Putting my fluffy dressing gown on at 7pm and watching a good British Drama while eating chocolate .
Working for an animal charity knowing everything I sell will benefit them
My cat sitting on my lap when I don`t have to go anywhere
Making something with my sewing machine .
Sitting and watching the sea
Spending the morning cleaning the house and the afternoon reading a good book knowing that it is all done.
I could go on .....

tiredoldwoman Wed 13-Apr-16 18:53:10

A baby's smile .
Pillow talk .
Toast and coffee .

shelana Wed 13-Apr-16 19:39:31

Looking at big,East Anglian skies.Finding silly names for my cat.Seeing friends and family doing interesting things on Face Book.Good coffee.A book at bedtime.Proper letters.Sharing a meal.Sharing experiences on Gransnet!Memories of people and places.My family.The friends in the local church.New mown grass.Shopping....

whitewave Wed 13-Apr-16 19:55:14

Listening to bird song - I want to die doing that
Clean sheets.
Answering the phone and find its son or daughter
Sitting in the sun with a good book
Sitting looking out to sea in a secret place in Cornwall
Chatting to my grandchildren
Pottering in my garden
Listening to the baby birds in their bird box near my conservatory door
Loads more.

No wonder we are the happiest age.

Eloethan Wed 13-Apr-16 21:03:33

Looking at old photographs
Receiving letters in the post from friends
Having a hot bath
Lying on a quiet beach listening to the waves
Seeing a rainbow
Singing in my choir
Having friends for a meal
Being with my grandchildren
Watching the sun set through my sitting room window
Taking a train journey

TwiceAsNice Wed 13-Apr-16 22:41:42

All the lovely things I do with my daughters and grandchildren especially when we go on holiday together ( I know I'm lucky!)
Getting into a clean bed with a new book
Really good plain chocolate
The first cup of tea especially if it's got a biscuit or piece of toast with it
The smell of mown grass
A vase of tulips bought by my daughter- I have this every mothers day
Listening to Carols from Kings on Christmas Eve
Coffee together with my best friend
A meal out and lovely conversation ( well good gossip really!)
The first time I can wear sandals instead of shoes ( because it's SUNNY hooray)
My favourite CD playing and the Telegraph crossword on a Saturday
The words "I love you Granny"

Neversaydie Wed 13-Apr-16 22:58:18

A clean house ,lots of flowers everywhere
Beds changed and all washing and ironing up to date
All paperwork,including 'business'/admin emails, up to date
My 'to do' list at a manageable level and consisting of enjoyable things
Lawn mowed,garden neat
then I can relax and read a book either in said sunny garden or curled up on a sofa (-(without feeling guilty)
This Nirvana happens very rarely ...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Apr-16 23:01:25

My garden bench, warm sunshine, a nice plate of scrambled eggs and salad, and DH out playing with his mates, definitely did it for me this afternoon.

Didn't last though. Got quite pissed off when he came home and I had to get the dinner on. hmm

Cybernan12 Thu 14-Apr-16 08:33:30

Time alone when DH goes out.
Time with DGCs
Helping out in church bookshop, meeting lovely people.
Knitting for charity.
A letter from my sponsored child.

Jayh Thu 14-Apr-16 12:46:07

Am presently enjoying the simple pleasure of sitting in the garden with a coffee, the sun is shining and two red kites are circling overhead. Bliss in the present moment typing this.

judy751 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:50:34

Hello
Getting on my exercise bike for an hour - especially if I've got some rock and metal on loud.
Mopping the kitchen floor with steaming hot water.
Playing Lego games on the PlayStation
Judy

NickyD47 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:23:59

And my DH says 'STILL
nobody mentions sex!' Does nobody else do sex?

moonbeames Mon 25-Apr-16 10:40:13

I am so thrilled that this thread is still going on. It gives me such pleasure reading what simple pleasures other people have, it warms my heart.
So here are a couple more.
I love watching the clouds in the sky, am I the only person on the planet or not. I love the different types of clouds, I have since I was a little kid. Nimbus, cumulas, stratus (not sure about the spelling) and I cant remember the last one. Can you help? I learnt all about them in about grade 3. Every day I look at the sky and see if I can see any shapes or what type the clouds are. I feel a bit of a nut, but there must be others out there that love them as well. My favorite cloud formations are stratus clouds, they look so beautiful and spread out in the sky.
I also love sitting on my bed with my cat who is now about twelve months old. She is from a shelter, we got her when she was about 6 weeks old. She had been left with her brothers and sisters in a drain. A jogger heard their cry's for help. She was very timid but now after a year she is coming up to me for cuddles. She loves going outside in the sun, we are fortunate enough to have a large back yard and front garden for her to explore. To watch her is sheer bliss as she discovers all there is in nature in a safe, loving environment, her name is "Bella" the beautiful one.