Gransnet forums

Chat

How to look expensive (on a budget)

(46 Posts)
missdeke Sun 15-May-16 09:28:44

Just read the article named above, and wondered if anyone else thought spending £90 on a dress was budget? I couldn't even have thought of spending that much for a special occasion! Doesn't really matter that the normal price was £100s, I just couldn't afford or warrant spending that much on a dress.

etheltbags1 Sun 15-May-16 16:11:54

what is a/are a churidars and curtain trousers? 'thatbags'

MargaretX Sun 15-May-16 16:23:28

I thought the dress looked cheap and altogether she looked as if she had escaped from a home somewhere. Even to start a blog and put herself forward as someone who looks good in clothes she's being over confident. She hasn't even got an eye for a good camera shot!

I would pay that money for a dress for special occasion but I would expect it to last and for me to wear it for years. I do have some things that look good but unfortunately don't have the occasion to wear them. My mother held to the old saying. Well shod is well dressed- and if you have an expensive looking pair of boots on then it doesn't matter how much the other things cost.

f77ms Sun 15-May-16 16:24:03

I have some designer clothes , all bought in charity shops . I am fickle where clothes are concerned and get fed up quickly so just donate them back !
I have never owned a posh frock , I would just never spend that kind of money on something I could make for a few pounds and look just as good (or bad) I am a size 12-14 which seems to be the most popular size in charity shops so I can always find something nice .
ethel I think thatbags means they were made out of curtains ?

Welshwife Sun 15-May-16 16:24:45

I have and would spend that sort of money if I really liked the item. My DiL says it is not the cost of the item as much as cost per wearing! And she is right really - good quality stuff which washes well and still looks smart and feels comfortable is good value. Depends really on your life style. Since retiring I buy mainly plain dark trousers of a couple of shapes and vary the tops - much of the time if you are going out people don't notice the bottom half it is just the top.
When I was working I often bought Jaegar, Planet, etc but mainly when they had a sale on. Laura Ashley had lovely jumpers at one time and they were usually good value in a sale. I had a couple of flowery knitted ones (cotton) and the people that remarked on them when I wore them - lasted me for years and I was most sad to say goodbye to them. I still have a Laura Ashley black wool jumper with poppies all over which is about 25 years old and I still wear it when it is very cold.

Coolgran65 Sun 15-May-16 16:29:05

I must be really mean !! To get an item at half price... to me that isn't a good enough bargain.

This week I bought a fine jersey maxi dress, gorgeous mix of purples/pinks/taupe/white. Perfect... sleeves to the elbow, V neck. draped from under the bust and flatters that awkward area. It was in the clearance section of an M & S Outlet, original price £65, and I got it for £9.
It is going with me to the USA in a few days and I will probably wear it with sneakers, or else fitflops.
It looks really good and looks a great deal better than the dress in the article !!

jinnyifer Sun 15-May-16 16:54:42

I've just been reading through everyone's comments, which were interesting.I enjoy checking out the charity shops for incredible iitems at bargain prices. I must admit it is a hobby as I read and study season styles, colours and fabrics. Then check out the charity shops and a really helpful tip is to initially look for the quality of the fabric first, colour etc, then you may well find a garment of really good quality. Only buy what you really need otherwise clothes shopping becomes an expensive activity. I will also look for high end retro clothing as long as they don't have great big (Joan Collins shoulder pads)smile.

thatbags Sun 15-May-16 17:00:33

ethelt, churidars are Thin Indian cotton trousers cut on the bias so that they have stretch for knees and bums, traditionally worn under those long tunics. I wear them as an extra layer in winter because I feel the cold.

Curtain trousers are trousers I made out of old curtains. I had two pairs like those in the pic, made from curtains that hung in our Oxfordshire house but which didn't fit any windows here, and another pair made of my aunt's rust-coloured velvet curtains.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-May-16 17:11:16

I bet you looked lovely Bags. smile

Jalima Sun 15-May-16 17:55:02

NonnaW I think I could possibly justify it if I knew I would wear it again and again and then, if you calculate the cost per wear, it wouldn't seem so expensive.

The outfit I bought for DD's wedding was well into three figures - the outfit I wore again once but the hat and shoes have sat in the wardrobe ever since.

Jalima Sun 15-May-16 18:00:22

Is there a link to this £90 dress - I can't seem to find it

Grannyben Sun 15-May-16 19:10:31

After my husband and I separated money was very tight. I hadn't been on my own long when I was invited to a dear friends wedding, my first 'do' on my own. My dear mum told me to go and pick a new outfit and not worry about the price, it was her treat. Although I was anxious on the day I must say my outfit made me feel a million dollars. It looked lovely and many other guests, who i slightly knew, complemented me. I was more than happy to tell them all it was £13.00 from Primark

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-May-16 19:42:15

J scroll down a bit

whitewave Sun 15-May-16 19:45:37

That's ghastly! Maybe if it was modelled differently? Or perhaps I've got poor taste?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-May-16 19:47:47

Nah. It's ghastly.

whitewave Sun 15-May-16 19:51:04

For one horrible minute after I'd posted that I had the awful thought that someone had worn it to a wedding or something?blush

annodomini Sun 15-May-16 20:25:17

Referring to shoes: 'Comfort is essential for us ladies of a certain age,' she says and then we get a picture of 5" heels. Comfort? I think not. One thing that Princess Di did for us was to make low heels and flats fashionable - she didn't want to tower over Charles! How I wish Kate were a bit taller.

Jalima Sun 15-May-16 21:15:35

Thank you jinglbells - I didn't realise it was on GN (duh), I was googling it.

Awful dress, I could make that one out of blackout curtains and a bit of fabric I once bought because DD (age 8) thought she would like a skirt made out of it then changed her mind. But I won't bother.

Head scarves? Only for next time I go riding with HM.
Must buy some comfortable 5" heels to fall off.

trisher Sun 15-May-16 21:46:22

My final top tip is to have a brutal look in a full-length mirror before you buy, de-clutter your clothes, or go out. If you look in the mirror and don't LOVE the way you look, then it's a 'no'. You need to feel like a million dollars in order to look it!

Should have taken her own advice!
About the bangles, do you think she can actually get them off?
The belt thing I don't understand at all!

Jalima Sun 15-May-16 21:54:27

I probably would never go out at all if I inspected myself in a full-length mirror before I went out grin

DD left a load of bangles like that at home - but she has much slimmer wrists and arms than me (would DH be able to cut them off with a bolt cutter if they got stuck?)

I have decided it's all a matter of chutzpah grin

Granny23 Sun 15-May-16 22:19:03

Message to Jingle I have become very fond of your turquoise M & S frock, which has popped up on my facebook and e.mail at least twice a day since I had a quick look at it on your thread. I have just managed to resist the temptation to send for it - no way would it look good on my 5'1" size 16 with spare tyre figure - but a girl can dream smile