Gransnet forums

Chat

Do people lose their sense of humour as they get older...or is it just my DH?

(19 Posts)
petra Sat 21-May-16 18:01:23

I can honestly say that mine is still the same in humour and the love of life as he's always been. In fact he's just taken his HotRod down to the seafront ( Southend)
where a few other owners are meeting up.
Next weekend he's off to Peterborough for a big HotRod festival. I've declined the invite as he's camping.

sunseeker Sat 21-May-16 10:31:40

My DH had a great sense of humour and could always make me laugh (even when I was mad at him!). He was still making jokes and laughing through most of his cancer treatment and up until the day he died. I now try to see things as he would have done and am no longer a glass half empty person - more of a empty the glass and fill up with more wine person!! grin

Linsco56 Sat 21-May-16 10:13:04

Sorry NotTooOld I think their far too busy with their sense of humour bypass ops!

Lyndylou Sat 21-May-16 09:42:39

Whenever there is a preview for a comedy programme, my DP has taken to moaning "Well, thanks for warning us about that!". EVERY TIME. He refuses to give anything a chance. The only thing we laugh at together is "Would I lie to you". I quite like the new Shakespeare comedy, but end up watching it on I Player while he is out. Funny thing is he is very good about anything else I fancy watching, will even watch things like GB Sewing Bee and get quite involved, it's just comedy he seems to have a problem with these days.

rubylady Sat 21-May-16 02:21:50

No, not an age thing. My DS turns 19 today and has already harrumphed off in a huff like a toddler. He has no sense of humour, at least not with me. Frustrating when all I want is a good laugh at times. Ah well, there's always GN, the tele or youtube. grin

NotTooOld Fri 20-May-16 22:58:14

My DH has definitely got grumpier and he needs a sense of humour transplant. Can you get them on the NHS?

tanith Fri 20-May-16 22:51:47

I have to put my hands up and admit I'm the one who has lost her sense of humour, I've often been a glass half empty worrier and OH is forever the cheerful chappie who wakes up humming or singing a silly song. At least I'm aware of my failing and I do try to see the sunnier side of life..grin

Nelliemoser Fri 20-May-16 22:37:47

My OH does not seem to have any sense of humour now. He never used to be so miserable. He always takes life too seriously now and cant see the funny side of anything much. My sense of humour is wasted on him.

numberplease Fri 20-May-16 22:30:47

When we`d only been married a few months, I threw one of my husband`s size 10`s at him during a row, intending to hit the ground or wall near him, but it actually hit him on the nose, you`ve never seen so much blood! But he took it in quite a good spirit, whereas now, aged 72, he goes into a strop at the slightest little thing.

Indinana Fri 20-May-16 20:35:16

Oh dear loopy. And you're still together after 39 years? shockgrin

Linsco56 Fri 20-May-16 20:28:10

Really ??loopylou Methinks you need to borrow Gand Tea's whip! grin

phoenix Fri 20-May-16 20:25:50

loopy excuse me for asking, but do both have any children?

loopylou Fri 20-May-16 20:20:37

Mine doesn't 'do' excited either..........
In 39 years I have never known him get enthusiastic about anything at all!

rockgran Fri 20-May-16 20:06:31

Oh - good shot!

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-May-16 19:25:12

Oh goodness me, no, GandTea blush It's not what you're thinking. More on the lines of plucking out a Denis Healey eyebrow hair, or him getting in the way when I'm swatting a fly. Not a Victoria Wood hostess trolley moment!

Greyduster Fri 20-May-16 19:16:08

I think the older men get, the more likely they are to have a sense of humour failure. My DH is certainly touchier, since he turned seventy, about things he would have shrugged off at one time. I made some innocuous remark yesterday about him having commandeered a game I was playing on line with d-I-l. He went into a full scale strop and we ended up not speaking until this morning. This b****y referendum debate is not improving his temper; I wish it were over and done with.

GandTea Fri 20-May-16 19:13:00

Inflicting pain on your partner ?? the mind boggles.

Now where is my whip?

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-May-16 19:09:41

Sorry, Linsco56, or rather Mr Linsco56, but that did make me grin

My DH has a great sense of humour, but never when I've inflicted pain on him (always accidentally, of course wink) I hope you managed to stifle your giggles.

Linsco56 Fri 20-May-16 19:00:42

I was sitting across the dining table from DH chatting and I was playing with a rather large and sturdy rubber band (as you do!) and accidently let it fly. It hit his left ear lobe and honestly you would have though I'd shot him. Jumped up from his chair yelping in pain (give the man an Oscar) and has been in a huff for the last hour. So I have decided to leave him alone for a while. Phew...some people!confused