Gransnet forums

Chat

fundraising

(19 Posts)
etheltbags1 Tue 14-Jun-16 22:32:34

Im supposed to be having a Macmillan 'summer lights party' to raise funds. However I don't have a big house and can only seat about 9, I do have seats in the garden if its fine. Is anyone else doing this, I need ideas. I believe its a countrywide occasion a bit like the 'biggest coffee morning' last year. How much can I charge, I hate asking for money, I thought of a tombola but by the time I buy the food and the prizes I will probably be better just giving them a donation. Anyone got ideas how to raise funds with limited means and friends who will come are all elderly or disabled and cant afford much.

phoenix Tue 14-Jun-16 22:42:19

It is difficult, it? We used to do the coffee morning thing where I used to work, and there was always the pressure to buy raffle/tombola tickets for things you didn't even want to win!

Carol1ne63 Tue 14-Jun-16 22:44:41

That sounds like fun. Like you, I hate asking for money, I'd probably just ask people to donate what they can. Instead of a tombola, perhaps you could ask each person to donate something in advance for a hamper, like a packet of biscuits and give them all a lucky number on the night and have a draw? Don't get too stressed about it - it's the thought that counts, after all, as they say. If it's countrywide is it on a specific date? I hope you have fun etheltbags1.

etheltbags1 Tue 14-Jun-16 22:47:26

25th June, horrors, I will have to do some tidying up, oh dear.

etheltbags1 Tue 14-Jun-16 22:47:46

25th June, horrors, I will have to do some tidying up, oh dear.

phoenix Tue 14-Jun-16 22:55:18

How about just getting your friends together, each person brings a plate of something (sandwiches, a quiche, some small cakes or scones) you have a shared time together and perhaps each donate a pre agreed amount (£5?) , have a good chat, possibly play daft games (the one where a label with a name is stuck on your forehead and you have to ask questions to ascertain who you are, or even pin the tail on the donkey!) and leave it at that?

Anniebach Tue 14-Jun-16 23:30:07

Much depends on the area you live, I have done fundraising for years and it is difficult. If you live in an area with shops you use ask them to donate for a hamper or a raffle, do you have a local theatre? Scrounge two tickets, or from a cinema, do you have family who will give help with food or gifts , fund raising means scrounging sorry I wish you luck

Granny23 Tue 14-Jun-16 23:34:42

Perhaps you could ask friends/relatives who can't come as well as guests to donate a prize for a raffle or some food (or even cash). McMillan is a well known and respected charity so you could ask in local shops if they would donate either food or a prize too. I have found shops and other small businesses to be very generous in this respect. If you have a raffle then your guests can buy as many tickets as they can comfortably afford without having to pay a set amount.

I attended a McMillan afternoon tea a few years back where a lady with a large garden brought flowers and demonstrated floral arranging with them. The arrangements were then raffled. I have heard of another when a keen crafter demonstrated card making and then sold the cards to raise money for the Charity.

Babs1952 Wed 15-Jun-16 01:18:04

I have held 3 coffee mornings so far and I just ask people to put a donation in the box when buying cakes etc. They usually send some ideas in the fundraising kit - how many items in the jar or decorations on a cake, where the person nearest wins half the money paid to guess. We always have a raffle with a few prizes nothing to fancy wine, chocolates and usually a lovely cake made by one of the guests.
Best of all everyone has a good time tea cake and friendship all for a good cause! It also gives me a reason to bake which I love so everyone's a winner!
Enjoy your "Summer lights party" Oh and I don't have a big house either but we manage ?

JackyB Wed 15-Jun-16 07:29:36

Does it have to be at home? Couldn't you go on a walk - or as the theme is "summer lights" go for a walk with burning torches at dusk? Very symbolic. You can have as many people as want to come and you don't have to tidy up first. You could provide drinks standing up in the garden as you gather to set off, or when everyone gets back. Or get someone to put up an improvised table with drinks and nibbles somewhere along the route for a welcome break.

Money could be collected along the way, or from donations from the walkers, or by a conventional "sponsored walk" system.

I've no idea how these things work in the UK - you may need permissions, but for charity that shouldn't be hard.

Anyway - good luck with it!!

etheltbags1 Sat 18-Jun-16 20:42:44

All your ideas are good will keep them for the future, however as my guests are all over 60 and all have health probs, I cant do the ,charades game that was suggested with the pack. None can walk too far and most just want to sit.
I have had it suggested that I charge £1 for tea, coffee or wine with sandwiches. I am having a small tombola and have a few items to sell. I think that I should dare to charge £2,50 f0r a drink and food but they may stay away if they have to pay that much. My DD is in charge of the food and is a fab cook, she will make a lovely spread. how much should I charge.
Another friend has given me some used smellies with dirty bottles and some second hand shoes, I don't know how to avoid hurting her by not selling these. Everyone has given me a donation of items to sell but that seems to be their contribution, I have a feeling that they wont buy on the night. Due to illness I have only got 6 coming and I wont make a fortune with them. Despair!!!

etheltbags1 Sat 18-Jun-16 20:45:41

A friend who is quite well off has promised a cake, I know it will be lovely but she says that's her contribution.
Adding up what ive spent in tombola items, extra coffee, candles and lights and food I think I would have been better just giving them a cheque. Im so depressed.

Jalima Sat 18-Jun-16 21:21:19

I think the donation for a hamper sounds a good idea, you can give them each a numbered ticket when they come in (you wouldn't have to buy tickets, just write doubles out yourself).

Sometimes I do wonder if it is better to give a cheque, but then again it is nice to get everyone together.

Another friend has given me some used smellies with dirty bottles and some second hand shoes
I shouldn't laugh (but I did). Honestly!

If I lived nearer I could donate a nice box of smellies I was given and don't want, too heavy to post!

It's all in a good cause, and, as they say, every bit helps.

Hope it goes well

Jalima Sat 18-Jun-16 21:22:23

£2?

Jalima Sat 18-Jun-16 21:24:35

I will have to do some tidying up, oh dear.
bag it up and throw it in the cupboard under the stairs, if you have stairs that is!

etheltbags1 Sat 18-Jun-16 21:55:08

Hey Jalima the understair cupboard is full to bursting point already. I shall have to fill my bedroom with all my stuff. Oh I wish I hadn't started this, although I do want to do a bit of fundraising, too late to back out now. confused

etheltbags1 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:27:12

Ive hit another problem with my fundraising enterprise, I cant get the door paint to dry. I painted my living room door as it was scratched and used the same paint as before however it wont dry, 4 days now and its still sticky, the door has gone from satinwood to gloss and patchy and just wont dry. I used paint that was 10 years old but unopened, can paint go out of date ?. Has this happened to anyone else.

TriciaF Thu 23-Jun-16 16:51:09

Probably too late now, but if you could get an actual Macmillan Nurse to come and speak, that should attract people and encourage them to donate.
Have you got a speaker?
I was once asked to ring a whole list of people to ask them to donate to a cause. If they agreed someone would come to collect. I hated it!

TriciaF Thu 23-Jun-16 16:52:03

ps sorry don't know nowt about wet paint.