Gransnet forums

Other subjects

feeling ripped off

(8 Posts)
chrizzy Thu 07-Jul-16 19:02:19

Our double glazed front door wouldn't lock today, the handle would only go half way up.Hubby went to the local key cutting/locksmith who said he would come and look at it.He came and took the locking strip off showed us a small part that had broken,half an hour later after a bit of drilling etc he left with £120 off us.Can't help feeling that we have been ripped off.

Mumsy Fri 08-Jul-16 07:32:15

sounds a bit steep to me, did you get a breakdown of the cost on the receipt? was there a call out charge?

chrizzy Fri 08-Jul-16 09:50:43

Hubby never asked for a receipt so he got cash in hand.I am still feeling annoyed over the cost and wondering wether to go to the shop and ask for a receipt but i am not very good with confrontations.Any advice would be appreciated.

Mumsy Fri 08-Jul-16 09:59:00

ring the shop up and ask them for a breakdown receipt, tell them you need it to claim on your insurance for the repair.

rosesarered Fri 08-Jul-16 10:01:08

Now it's done and dusted, you were told the price and paid it, too late to complain.
He came out as an emergency job and repaired the door properly, at least.Next time always ask the call out fee, and if possible the total cost before you agree on it.

goose1964 Fri 08-Jul-16 10:11:18

wmwegency callout locksmith always seem expensive

annsixty Fri 08-Jul-16 10:28:59

I was recently quoted £75 & vat for a call out plus any parts needed. My son came round and fixed it in 10 mins, but if he hadn't it would probably have cost near enough the same. They can always find a part to replace.

Riverwalk Fri 08-Jul-16 10:54:14

£120 sounds steep - he was local so didn't travel far and the repair took only 30 minutes. I can understand a minimum charge applying but it works out at £120 per hour.

I recently had my CH boiler repaired by a fully-qualified and insured young woman - it took 2.5 hours at £75 per hour, plus £90 parts. All receipted.