Gransnet forums

Chat

When do new clothes become old ones?

(42 Posts)
Elegran Mon 18-Jul-16 19:38:08

As I put a load into the washing machine today I realised that the bras had been stuffed in along with everything else. When they were new I used to put the black ones into a net bag to go into the machine and hand-wash the white ones separately. At some point when I wasn't paying attention they stopped being new and became ordinary and old and not worth special treatment.

Do you have a definite "changeover point" when something moves from one category into another? Or do things drift gradually?

Pittcity Mon 18-Jul-16 20:01:30

I sorted out some "old" clothes to donate to charity and put them in the spare room. The warmer weather came and I went into the spare room and dug out the rejected summer dresses to wear again....not old after all!

Deedaa Mon 18-Jul-16 21:42:02

It takes about a dozen washes for me to decide that the clothes that say Don't Tumble Dry can now be tumble dried. So far nothing has suffered from it.

Clothes staying new depends on how much I like them. I have some garments that are several years old but are still cared for lovingly. I've got others where the novelty has worn off after a couple of months and they rapidly work their way down to the charity bag.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 18-Jul-16 22:31:25

When I've thrown half a glass of something all down myself, how I can miss my mouth, I've no ideagrin

Jane10 Tue 19-Jul-16 08:47:38

I've got things I think of as my 'new' this or that then, when I think about it, I realise that they are now several years old. I suppose the key thing is not to think about it. La la la not thinking!

hulahoop Tue 19-Jul-16 09:16:39

Depends how much I like them and if they still fit!!!

Teetime Tue 19-Jul-16 09:20:34

If there is any fault like bobbling or a tear (cant bear repaired things) or a stain - that's it they are in the charity bag (they still get cash for old worn out things which go to recycling). Other than that if I haven't worn something for two years (unless its a special thing like evening/occasion wear) then its out. I work on the principle that if I have some spare hangars its legitimate to go and buy something new.

DaphneBroon Wed 20-Jul-16 11:30:47

New clothes become old clothes for me when something I remember feeling the bees knees in last year, makes me recoil at the reflection of a frumpy old bag lady looking back at me from a random shop window. sad
Sometimes it doesn't even take a year sadsad

Christinefrance Wed 20-Jul-16 17:49:28

Nannylovesshopping I do that all the time. Gravy and soup are favourite closely followed by red wine. Think it's time to recycle grandchild 's bib .

janeainsworth Wed 20-Jul-16 22:17:02

It's complex Elegran.
It partly depends on the purpose of the clothing - for example, if I have bought a pair of technical trousers to go walking in, there's no point in saving them for 'best', but simply wear them the next time I go walking. I may feel that thrill of wearing something new, but I don't feel particularly fetching in them and it certainly doesn't bother me if my friend's dog jumps up at me leaving muddy paw marks everywhere.
Conversely, if I buy a dress primarily to go out in for a special occasion, it will still feel new and special some years down the line, especially if it hasn't 'dated'.
I suspect however your question really applies to the genre of 'smart casual' - the concept of which I am still struggling to get my head round.
It's these items - smart shirts, edgy knits, trousers other than jeans or tracksuit bottoms, casual dresses - that seem quite presentable to go out in for a while, but when you know yourself that the 'cost per wear' has been greatly reduced by the number of times you've worn them, you find yourself thinking, for example prior to a Gransnet meet-up, 'Oh but I can't possibly wear that old thing again', although the garment might be perfectly OK in which to entertain one's neighbour for a cup of tea.
So it's a combination of purpose of garment; age of garment; and occasion on which garment will be worn.
Cost is also a factor - a £4 t-shirt from Tesco will perhaps be viewed as 'old' more quickly than an expensive dress.

Indinana Wed 20-Jul-16 22:33:06

If that question were to be put to my DH, the answer would be 'Never". I have holiday photos of him wearing the same polo shirts 10 or even 15 years apart grin. As long as an item of clothing is OK, clean, still in decent, wearable condition, he sees no reason to throw it out.
TBH I wish I could be more like him, but I love having new things. I'm so shallow blush

SueDoku Thu 21-Jul-16 10:14:25

My DS recently sent me some photos of us on an outing 9 years ago; I replied saying, 'Gosh, I'm still wearing that top regularly - and it cost £5 from Matalan...' To say that he was horrified is an understatement smile
I'm with Indiana's DH on this -- if something is still in good condition, and I like it, why on earth would I throw it away? (On the other hand, I probably wouldn't wear it to a wedding..!!) grin

Blinko Thu 21-Jul-16 10:46:58

I have a wardrobe full of 'occasion wear' collected over the years. But I'll lay a pound to a penny that whatever I chuck out, I'll need it the following week for some unforeseen special 'do' that has popped up.

Nain9bach Thu 21-Jul-16 11:13:42

When? I guess the point when you no longer class them as your favourites. Three categories work, dress up and leisure. I have favourites in each category. A favourite is usually the last new buy, but demoted quickly if not classed as a favourite. Long winded explanation...

Lilyflower Thu 21-Jul-16 11:50:10

I have a wardrobeful of beautiful dresses which are so little worn and so cared for that they still look and smell new.

However, I have bought a new 'new' dress for a special occasion coming up. I suppose it is the novelty which appeals. I really should have grown out of such childish notions.

Flossieturner Thu 21-Jul-16 12:28:25

Since I did the Mari Kondo on my wardrobe, I have stopped categorising clothes into old a new. Today, even though I am going nowhere, I am wearing one of my new tops.

I have got rid of anything that is uncomfortable, does not fit or is showing wear and tear.

My clothes now fit onto one rail and I really enjoy opening the wardrobe and seeing only clothes that 'spark joy'

Smithy Thu 21-Jul-16 12:34:13

You shouldn't criticise yourself for liking new things - after all life is short especially at our time of life so if you can afford something nice why not just get it. You might not actually need it but so what - enjoy wearing it. Trouble is they are only really new the first time you wear them!

ffinnochio Thu 21-Jul-16 12:45:08

The cross- over point occurs for me , Elegran, when I wear the clothes for gardening, walking, travelling or painting. This includes undies confused about that!
I think it's because the clothes are usually much loved, comfy, purposeful but quite tired.
I also wear them then because I enjoy all these activities, so they are the perfect go-too option.
smile

ffinnochio Thu 21-Jul-16 12:47:59

... and consequently, I find I rarely do smart or best! grin

Lasydays Thu 21-Jul-16 12:58:37

Sixteen years ago my beloved husband died, I could not throw out his clothes. After six years my daughter said it is time to let go so she packed
up all his clothes for the charity shop. While she did this I emptied my wardrobe into black bags and was left with just what I was wearing...... Buying new clothes helped me to '. Move on'. I went to stay with friends in Portugal and they said wear something old as we were to visit a couple who had 14 rescue dogs. I had to admit I did not have any old clothes.
Now my clothes are ten years old and still wearable. Maybe I should get out more.?

Elegran Thu 21-Jul-16 13:27:05

I already get rid of anything that is uncomfortable or does not fit or but I keep things that are less than pristine for work involving dirt, sweat, mud, sawdust, polyfilla dust, paint and so on. These are only worn around the house and garden.

I hate buying clothes - no, change that to "I hate shopping for clothes". I am happy to buy them, but I hate searching endless racks for the size and style I want, stripping down to underwear in a tiny cubicle to try on possiblities and then dressing again because they look awful and moving on somewhere else to scan the racks, the assistants who eventually notice me searching and condescend to produce what they think I am looking for. It never is.

The truth is, I only know I am looking for it when I find it. My best buys have been things that I loved the moment I saw them hanging there, that fitted perfectly and made me look ten times better. There is no way of predicting which they are. I just have to slog around until I find them.

So I don't have a lot of clothes. The same things go round and round, added to from time to time, and subtracted from when something gets too weary-looking to wear in public. For this reason I keep things I really like "for best". I just can't be bothered replacing them very often.

nipsmum Thu 21-Jul-16 13:53:45

My daughter and i went through my wardrobe with her Mari Kondo hat on. Thank goodness she did . Now I'm left with clothes I like and that fit and everything else went to the charity shop. I also have room if I want to have something new.

jollyg Thu 21-Jul-16 14:38:48

As a child my new clothes became big bros out growns. We had the same family 'bum', and I enjoyed the freedom of them.

Now as I cant easily get to the shops, I recycle whatever is the the wardrobe, My beloved sewing machine has decided to retire, so its back to 'ole claes and paurrich"

Balini Tue 26-Jul-16 08:16:18

Nanny loves - the thought of you missing your mouth, and your honesty, gave me a good laugh.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-Jul-16 08:37:06

Same as nannylovesshopping really. When the tea stains appear they become old. hmm