Gransnet forums

Chat

Pink for a girl?

(35 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Thu 22-Sep-16 19:49:54

Am I alone in wanting a 'New Baby Girl' card that isn't pink? Having trawled all the shops in our local town, I couldn't find any that weren't pink or had references to fairies/princesses etc. I assume there was a similar gender bias to cards for newborn boys. I could buy 'gender neutral' new baby cards, but that was all. Other than make my own, does anyone have any suggestions?

FarNorth Sat 24-Sep-16 22:51:39

Many little boys and girls have 'stereotypical' boys' and girls' interests but not all of them. We should give them the opportunity to develop their own preferences without pushing them in a particular direction.

downtoearth Sun 25-Sep-16 08:38:29

My daughter and son in the 80's very close in age shared non gender specific toys and clothing such as jumpers and T shirts came from the same clothing pile first to get dressed got the one on top of the pile...good job they where similar sizes ....jumble sales where very popular then good quality bargains

Hunt Sun 25-Sep-16 10:01:26

I still have the mail my Mother received from friends and relations when I was born in 1932. Not a card among them but all proper letters, some several pages long, and all in identically tiny envelopes. They make lovely reading, everyone sounds so happy and enthusiastic. One of the most interesting was from my granny to my Dad thanking him for the post card telling her of my birth. No telephone or email or skype for them!

Hilltopgran Sun 25-Sep-16 10:08:52

I found a non pink baby card in local M & S earlier in the year. Finding clothes for baby girls that are not pink is equally difficult, I am sure it was not so split between blue and pink when mine were little 30 plus years ago.

henetha Sun 25-Sep-16 11:22:04

I can't see much wrong with a harmless bit of gender stereo-typing. Pink, blue, does it matter? They will make up their own minds when they are older about what they what they want to be like.

FarNorth Sun 25-Sep-16 18:13:59

It matters because the blue/pink thing has an effect on the parents and others around the child, causing them to urge the child in stereotypical directions, probably without even realising that is happening.

FarNorth Sun 25-Sep-16 18:21:48

There’s one famous study showing that women treated the exact same babies differently depending on whether they were dressed in pink or blue. If the clothes were blue they assumed it was a boy, played more physical games with them and encouraged them to play with a squeaky hammer, whereas they would gently soothe the baby dressed in pink and choose a doll for them to play with.

www.bbc.com/future/story/20141117-the-pink-vs-blue-gender-myth

GrannyMac1945 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:35:06

I was so pleased to get a GS as I was dreading the pink bandana with flower sported by so many baby girls, it must be uncomfortable at least. As it is I think the shorts and shirt things on a week old baby look uncomfortable too, I prefer them to look babies for a while, but you can be sure I keep my tongue very firmly between my teeth. My Dinlaw is lovely and we get on very well, no intention of spoiling that.

NanaandGrampy Sun 25-Sep-16 19:42:00

We dress our boys in blue and our girls in pink. Our boys all love a good turn with the buggy and dollies, our girl wouldn't thank you for a car, hammer or garage thank you very much.

I don't see any problems with it, the colour of the clothes doesn't change how we play with them . We love them all equally.