Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you out of step with your generation, in thinking, 'philosophy' and politics?

(55 Posts)
granjura Mon 10-Oct-16 12:37:46

Following several conversations with many young people this Summer- and the conclusion they all came to- I am wondering?

thatbags Mon 10-Oct-16 15:56:01

I'm not sure it would concern me if I were out of step with my generation, or indeed out of step with any group of people. Mainly because I expect to be out of step with lots of groupthink, always.

Ana Mon 10-Oct-16 16:03:52

Are you saying you think you're more in tune with these young people than your peers, granjura?

I don't feel out of step with any generation - I might be sometimes with one or the other, but not consisently.

Jalima Mon 10-Oct-16 16:13:16

confused
Not everyone in each generation is 'in step' with each other surely?

Sometimes I agree with my peers, sometimes not, sometimes I agree with 40 or 50 year olds - are they the younger generation or do you mean teens and twenties?

rosesarered Mon 10-Oct-16 21:10:35

We are bound to have more in common with our own generation , but I can still agree with the older generation at times grin anyone of 85 say.Probably those of a generation below me as well,but doubtful about teens and twenties.However, it does depend what subject is up for discussion.

Ana Mon 10-Oct-16 21:16:46

Still not sure what the OP actually meant...confused

rosesarered Mon 10-Oct-16 21:25:27

I think the OP means Brexit and how all the young people wanted to stay in the EU ( not true btw) and how all the oldies wanted to come out ( also not true) and if you were a Remainer, then maybe you are somehow 'more in tune' with the younger generation.
grin and somehow more cool.
But perhaps I have that all wrong, and it is something else entirely?

Ana Mon 10-Oct-16 21:30:33

Oh, never thought of that - yet another dig at Brexiters. Of course, how silly of me...hmm

dramatictessa Mon 10-Oct-16 21:45:53

Well, granjura, it seems there are mind readers amongst GN. Did you mean Brexit?

janeainsworth Mon 10-Oct-16 21:59:43

I too don't know what you're on about, granjura.
You only have to look at the politics threads to see that there are widely divergent opinions on many issues.
How can we possibly all be 'in step' with each other, when we are all individuals with our own opinions?

granjura Mon 10-Oct-16 22:38:09

dramatictessa- no I didn't mean Brexit, just generally. I intentionally kept out of the thread and left it open- so anyone can put their own interpretation and thoughts on it.

dramatictessa Mon 10-Oct-16 23:45:33

It depends on whether the younger generation view us all in same way. If they do, they are falling into the trap of believing in stereotypes so someone who doesn't fit that stereotype would appear to be out of step. But as we are all different, we're all out of step, and in step, some of the time. Doesn't matter what generation we belong to.

Anniebach Tue 11-Oct-16 09:58:07

Always have been smile

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Oct-16 10:25:30

I'm another that doesn't really get the question. What was the conclusion all these young people came to? confused

Jalima Tue 11-Oct-16 10:32:48

I think it means 'Are we Down Wiv da Kids'?
Definition:
The state of being on the same wave length as members of a younger generation. To be cool, clued-up and enlightened as a result of ones knowledge and/or pursuit of the interests, passtimes and trends commonly associated with people younger than oneself. A characteristic commonly displayed by minor television personalities, celebrities and people involved in entertainment media, trend spotting, marketing and advertising.

plus, according to the above, a less than first class knowledge of the use of apostrophes with the addition of the occasional misspelling.

I could qualify!!

POGS Tue 11-Oct-16 10:50:00

It would be interesting to know what topics did you cover in the many conversations you had Granjura.

kittylester Tue 11-Oct-16 12:41:42

I think lots of people make erroneous judgements abouts lots of other people, putting them into boxes according to age, class, income, voting habits etc. They are then surprised when people don't behave in the anticipated manner.

Friends of my children are surprised when they talk to me because ' I'm so young in my view'. They are wrong to stereotype people like me just because of my age etc. Everyone is an individual. I'm not out of step with anyone, I'm just me!

I'm assuming this is where you OP is coming from, gj?

Mamie Tue 11-Oct-16 13:01:08

I think I am still most in tune with my friends from university because we have, by and large, had similar life experiences and kept the same attitudes and values. I am part of the generation that benefited from the broadening of access to university in the sixties, experienced the student revolution, became a feminist in the seventies and worked outside the home from when my children were tiny. I feel pretty much in tune with my daughter's friends because she has followed a similar path.
There are, of course, lots of people from all generations with whom I have very little in common, others I get on with as long as we don't discuss politics or religion and others who I recognise as soulmates.
I don't like the idea of "it's a generational thing", because I think it is a sweeping geralisation that means nothing.

Mamie Tue 11-Oct-16 13:03:20

generalisation (I think I need a new stylus).

thatbags Tue 11-Oct-16 13:08:56

This article from the Times would seem to suggest that more and more people are falling into step, so to speak, with how I've felt about some high profile charities for a few years now. Went off Friends of the Earth and The RSPB years ago, after having supported them for years.

Stansgran Tue 11-Oct-16 13:57:05

I think I'm more instep with my grandchildren than their parents. DGS is very concerned about the planet as they do and his parents fly around the world as if there is no such thing as conference calls. He was very reassured that one of my relatives is planting trees for the rest of the world. I sent him a mapgrinof the forests being planted.

Ana Tue 11-Oct-16 17:00:38

Yes, I'm with POGS in that it would be interesting to know what conclusions the OP is referring to.

Did all these young people think you were more on their wavelength than they'd expected, ranjura?

Ana Tue 11-Oct-16 17:01:19

g, sorry!

Ana Tue 11-Oct-16 21:23:43

Doesn't look as though we're going to get a reply.

granjura Tue 11-Oct-16 21:27:58

16.22 yesterday

I intentionally kept out of the thread and left it open- so anyone can put their own interpretation and thoughts on it.

And yes I will reply at some point. Jalima, NO this is not it, thanks.