Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you out of step with your generation, in thinking, 'philosophy' and politics?

(56 Posts)
granjura Mon 10-Oct-16 12:37:46

Following several conversations with many young people this Summer- and the conclusion they all came to- I am wondering?

cornergran Tue 11-Oct-16 21:45:07

Just don't see being in step, interpreting that as agree with or more importantly able to see the ciewpoint of, is to do with sharing an age group.

Ana Tue 11-Oct-16 21:51:36

Well, I posted to rescue the thread as it was about to slip off the Active list.

Can't see how there can be any more permutations on the replies already. Especially as we don't know what the question was, exactly...

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 13:07:08

Isn't 'being in step' synonymous with 'being on the same wavelength' then?
confused

It is surely not generational though, I agree with some of my generation, not others, likewise with each successive generation.

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 15:21:52

We seem to have all replied similarly.

Perhaps now would be as good a time as any to reply, granjura, otherwise the thread will just keep falling off the 'Active' list.

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 15:42:00

Several interesting replies thanks.

Kitty- yes same here with DDs friends who used to spend a lot of time at our house. Having said that, it was the same with my mum, all our friends were always at our house where they loved discussing all sorts with her.

Mamie- yes, you got your finger on it. For nearly 10 years I was at home, firstly handicapped then with young children- and I was living in an area where the majority of people, especially other mums, I just couldn't relate to and with very different views to mine. So too with DH's colleagues, older and very formal and conservative.

And for me, going back to Uni and studying with young people, then working with people who were much more on my 'wavelength' was such a relief and enjoyment. Many older people, relatives and acquaintances- used to say- oh you'll grown out of your ideals and 'liberal' views- but I am very glad to say I haven't. So yes, Mamie, stereotypes are not helpful- and many of my ex colleagues and friends of my age feel as I do- and possibly my problem was that I was catapulted with adults I didn't feel comfortable with, for all sorts of reasons- and often felt like a fish out of water. Just as I often do here on GN.

This Summer, as we hosted so many young people, I was talking to a group of them and they told me they so enjoyed being here because we are so tolerant and open and non judgemental. So I had to laugh, and tell them I was often accused on GN of being 'judgemental' - which was in total contradiction with how they felt. So they said 'good on you- it's because you think and behave like a young person- and you've never grown old in your heart or head.

So there you go, I'll be damned if I reply this, and damned if I don't. But it was interesting to hear the youngsters say that and share- and I am glad for it. They put into words something I'd never quite formulated for myself.

rosesarered Wed 12-Oct-16 15:54:29

Ah, we have an answer to our questions.grin Thought it may be something like that, if it wasn't Brexit.

rosesarered Wed 12-Oct-16 15:57:45

There is no 'damning' on GN we leave that to higher authorities.smile

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 16:30:05

Well of course, not many people are judgemental in conversation with a group of friends unless the discussion becomes heated!

And we are all of an age on GN, so no allowances are made for the folly or inexperience of youth! grin

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 16:58:31

Well there you go Ana, CQFD - I think we can agree that we are definitely out of step with each other- it truly feels like I am living on another planet ;)

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 17:00:00

Really? Just me, out of all the others who've posted on this thread? Sigh...

TerriBull Wed 12-Oct-16 18:03:02

Are the younger generation a homogeneous mass anymore than previous generations? sure they've been shaped by their experiences, but that's the same for any of us. The group you hosted granjura could well reflect your views. I'd hazard a guess and say they'd appear to be well educated, maybe that's a presumption on my part. I'm thinking that young people from say a disadvantage demographics tend not to take beaks in Switzerland whilst reflecting on politics and philosophy. In fact I'd also say that the well educated youngsters I know, many with left leaning politics, seem to spend their leisure time at festivals or getting hammered somewhere hot and not particularly uplifting, taking numerous selfies with plenty of wine wine wine in evidence, if only to prove to themselves,"I -drink- think therefore I am!"

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 18:03:19

Perhaps because you posted 7 of the posts without really contributing yourself.

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 18:07:51

I gave my answer at 16.03 on Monday. Didn't realise a whole chapter on how wonderful young people find me was required!

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:07:53

Anyone bought their tickets for Glastonbury?

I hear from our 40 something friends that they have all been sold already!
I don't think they're going to get 'hammered' as they're taking their DC. Well-educated? Good jobs? Yes.

I am out of step there, as I don't fancy camping in a muddy field or even 'glamping' amongst such huge crowds although I may well love the music.

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 18:17:03

None of them were Swiss Terri and none wealthy daddie's boys and girls either.

Ana, just a simple explanation would have done for you - and as you insisted I explained myself- I did.

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 18:21:49

Well you did promise Jalima that you would, granjura. Not much point starting a thread with no clear meaning without providing an explanation.

And it wasn't just me who didn't know what you meant by the OP.

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:27:59

It is becoming much clearer now though, thank you!

Now, where do I begin about what young people think of me?
Perhaps I'd better not, other people may find it boring.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Oct-16 18:28:08

No Jalima but we have just come back from a tea dance at Alnwick Garden.
Beautiful surroundings in the pavilion, with views over the famous garden and potted palms on the patio. Live music, generous afternoon tea. Nice mix of dances.
We sat at a table with some ladies in their 80's.
When the sandwiches came (cheese and tomato, ham, smoked salmon with cream cheese on brown bread, nicely cut into delicate fingers), they were regarded with suspicion.
'This is tuna.'
'No, I think it's salmon, tastes smoky though.'
'Tastes more like kippers.'
'Yes that's what it is, they've mixed kipper in it.'
shockshock
I'm definitely out of step with my generation grin

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:31:15

Surely that's not your generation janea shock

My SIL is in her 80s - she could tell a kipper from smoked salmon! grin

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:33:14

ps oh dear, if you are in your 80s janea I do apologise, your posts sound young, intellectually stimulating, astute, etc etc

grovel grovel

The dance sounds lovely

DaphneBroon Wed 12-Oct-16 19:00:07

I think I would need to establish what the general thinking on philosophy, religion and politics Is for my generation to say whether or not I am in or out of step with it . Of course individuals vary enormously depending on their level of education, life experience, general outlook ec and with friends whose ages range from their 50's to their late 70's or even 80's how do you generalise?
If I am "out of step" I would recall the weel kent Scottish aphorism "They're a' oot o' step except puir wee Jock"
And after all, marching in step was devised to keep the PBI (poor bloody infantry) putting one foot in front of the other even when they were advancing to certain death.

MargaretX Wed 12-Oct-16 19:09:39

daphne I couldn't have put it better.

I like broad minded people who have travelled and lived abroad. You can find these people in any generation. I sometimes feel much younger than people younger than I am.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Oct-16 19:14:37

Jalima grin no I'm not in my 80's, yet... though I hope I'm still astute etc when I am, and I know there are some GNers who are, and who write interestingly.
I just meant to illustrate with my post really that people of all ages can enjoy the same things (dancing) while having very different experiences of, and attitudes to others (food).
Of course marketing gurus like to categorize the generations and identify their differing values and beliefs and there presumably is some truth in it or they wouldn't devote so much time and effort to it.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Oct-16 19:17:24

daphne www.thebalance.com/baby-boomers-2164681
This may help you decide whether you are a stereotypical baby boomer. wink

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 19:25:33

daphne smile
janea smile
and
margaretx yes

It surely depends how 'set in your ways' you are.
My MIL loved being out of step with those around her, of all generations!
I'm not a babyboomer, I'm just a bit too old.