Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you out of step with your generation, in thinking, 'philosophy' and politics?

(56 Posts)
granjura Mon 10-Oct-16 12:37:46

Following several conversations with many young people this Summer- and the conclusion they all came to- I am wondering?

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 19:26:36

but I'm not as old as Mick Jagger grin

DaphneBroon Wed 12-Oct-16 19:57:58

I used to find secondary teaching and A level tutoring helped me to at least understand some of what (some) young people were talking about but I hope I never fell into the trap of thinking I was "one of them" . They indulged me, sometimes seemed to agree with my point of view and sometimes I saw where they were coming from) but there is no substitute for life experience and while I also encounter people of my own age , whom I consider set in their ways or narrow minded, that has less to do with generation than perhaps a more insular life.
Am I an archetypical baby boomer? I hope not!!

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 20:03:44

It does depend on outlook whatever your age; I know a couple of people who have barely ventured out from their own village, let alone into the big wide world.

rosesarered Wed 12-Oct-16 21:06:45

What does it matter if anyone is in step or out of step with any younger people, as others say anyway, 'young people are not a homogenous mass' they are as varied in their thinking as any other generation is.
Who wants to 'get down with the kids' anyway grin even if our backs would allow it.

granjura Thu 13-Oct-16 09:22:11

Of course it doesn't matter- and I was not talking about kids either. It just made me smile and found it interesting. Glad I have a huge variety of friends and acquaintances, all ages from very varied backgrounds and cultures, as it truly makes life more interesting - for me at least. Thanks for those who made very interesting and valid comments.