Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you out of step with your generation, in thinking, 'philosophy' and politics?

(56 Posts)
granjura Mon 10-Oct-16 12:37:46

Following several conversations with many young people this Summer- and the conclusion they all came to- I am wondering?

granjura Thu 13-Oct-16 09:22:11

Of course it doesn't matter- and I was not talking about kids either. It just made me smile and found it interesting. Glad I have a huge variety of friends and acquaintances, all ages from very varied backgrounds and cultures, as it truly makes life more interesting - for me at least. Thanks for those who made very interesting and valid comments.

rosesarered Wed 12-Oct-16 21:06:45

What does it matter if anyone is in step or out of step with any younger people, as others say anyway, 'young people are not a homogenous mass' they are as varied in their thinking as any other generation is.
Who wants to 'get down with the kids' anyway grin even if our backs would allow it.

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 20:03:44

It does depend on outlook whatever your age; I know a couple of people who have barely ventured out from their own village, let alone into the big wide world.

DaphneBroon Wed 12-Oct-16 19:57:58

I used to find secondary teaching and A level tutoring helped me to at least understand some of what (some) young people were talking about but I hope I never fell into the trap of thinking I was "one of them" . They indulged me, sometimes seemed to agree with my point of view and sometimes I saw where they were coming from) but there is no substitute for life experience and while I also encounter people of my own age , whom I consider set in their ways or narrow minded, that has less to do with generation than perhaps a more insular life.
Am I an archetypical baby boomer? I hope not!!

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 19:26:36

but I'm not as old as Mick Jagger grin

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 19:25:33

daphne smile
janea smile
and
margaretx yes

It surely depends how 'set in your ways' you are.
My MIL loved being out of step with those around her, of all generations!
I'm not a babyboomer, I'm just a bit too old.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Oct-16 19:17:24

daphne www.thebalance.com/baby-boomers-2164681
This may help you decide whether you are a stereotypical baby boomer. wink

janeainsworth Wed 12-Oct-16 19:14:37

Jalima grin no I'm not in my 80's, yet... though I hope I'm still astute etc when I am, and I know there are some GNers who are, and who write interestingly.
I just meant to illustrate with my post really that people of all ages can enjoy the same things (dancing) while having very different experiences of, and attitudes to others (food).
Of course marketing gurus like to categorize the generations and identify their differing values and beliefs and there presumably is some truth in it or they wouldn't devote so much time and effort to it.

MargaretX Wed 12-Oct-16 19:09:39

daphne I couldn't have put it better.

I like broad minded people who have travelled and lived abroad. You can find these people in any generation. I sometimes feel much younger than people younger than I am.

DaphneBroon Wed 12-Oct-16 19:00:07

I think I would need to establish what the general thinking on philosophy, religion and politics Is for my generation to say whether or not I am in or out of step with it . Of course individuals vary enormously depending on their level of education, life experience, general outlook ec and with friends whose ages range from their 50's to their late 70's or even 80's how do you generalise?
If I am "out of step" I would recall the weel kent Scottish aphorism "They're a' oot o' step except puir wee Jock"
And after all, marching in step was devised to keep the PBI (poor bloody infantry) putting one foot in front of the other even when they were advancing to certain death.

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:33:14

ps oh dear, if you are in your 80s janea I do apologise, your posts sound young, intellectually stimulating, astute, etc etc

grovel grovel

The dance sounds lovely

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:31:15

Surely that's not your generation janea shock

My SIL is in her 80s - she could tell a kipper from smoked salmon! grin

janeainsworth Wed 12-Oct-16 18:28:08

No Jalima but we have just come back from a tea dance at Alnwick Garden.
Beautiful surroundings in the pavilion, with views over the famous garden and potted palms on the patio. Live music, generous afternoon tea. Nice mix of dances.
We sat at a table with some ladies in their 80's.
When the sandwiches came (cheese and tomato, ham, smoked salmon with cream cheese on brown bread, nicely cut into delicate fingers), they were regarded with suspicion.
'This is tuna.'
'No, I think it's salmon, tastes smoky though.'
'Tastes more like kippers.'
'Yes that's what it is, they've mixed kipper in it.'
shockshock
I'm definitely out of step with my generation grin

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:27:59

It is becoming much clearer now though, thank you!

Now, where do I begin about what young people think of me?
Perhaps I'd better not, other people may find it boring.

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 18:21:49

Well you did promise Jalima that you would, granjura. Not much point starting a thread with no clear meaning without providing an explanation.

And it wasn't just me who didn't know what you meant by the OP.

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 18:17:03

None of them were Swiss Terri and none wealthy daddie's boys and girls either.

Ana, just a simple explanation would have done for you - and as you insisted I explained myself- I did.

Jalima Wed 12-Oct-16 18:07:53

Anyone bought their tickets for Glastonbury?

I hear from our 40 something friends that they have all been sold already!
I don't think they're going to get 'hammered' as they're taking their DC. Well-educated? Good jobs? Yes.

I am out of step there, as I don't fancy camping in a muddy field or even 'glamping' amongst such huge crowds although I may well love the music.

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 18:07:51

I gave my answer at 16.03 on Monday. Didn't realise a whole chapter on how wonderful young people find me was required!

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 18:03:19

Perhaps because you posted 7 of the posts without really contributing yourself.

TerriBull Wed 12-Oct-16 18:03:02

Are the younger generation a homogeneous mass anymore than previous generations? sure they've been shaped by their experiences, but that's the same for any of us. The group you hosted granjura could well reflect your views. I'd hazard a guess and say they'd appear to be well educated, maybe that's a presumption on my part. I'm thinking that young people from say a disadvantage demographics tend not to take beaks in Switzerland whilst reflecting on politics and philosophy. In fact I'd also say that the well educated youngsters I know, many with left leaning politics, seem to spend their leisure time at festivals or getting hammered somewhere hot and not particularly uplifting, taking numerous selfies with plenty of wine wine wine in evidence, if only to prove to themselves,"I -drink- think therefore I am!"

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 17:00:00

Really? Just me, out of all the others who've posted on this thread? Sigh...

granjura Wed 12-Oct-16 16:58:31

Well there you go Ana, CQFD - I think we can agree that we are definitely out of step with each other- it truly feels like I am living on another planet ;)

Ana Wed 12-Oct-16 16:30:05

Well of course, not many people are judgemental in conversation with a group of friends unless the discussion becomes heated!

And we are all of an age on GN, so no allowances are made for the folly or inexperience of youth! grin

rosesarered Wed 12-Oct-16 15:57:45

There is no 'damning' on GN we leave that to higher authorities.smile

rosesarered Wed 12-Oct-16 15:54:29

Ah, we have an answer to our questions.grin Thought it may be something like that, if it wasn't Brexit.