Gransnet forums

Chat

Dull Clothes in shops

(70 Posts)
nannynormal Thu 27-Oct-16 11:10:38

is it just me, or do others think that clothes in the shops in winter are boring. why do they have to be all black/grey/brown etc: I want to see bright colours to buy to cheer me up in the winter, not to see gloomy colours.

Alima Thu 27-Oct-16 11:16:48

No, it isn't just you nannynormal. I have always wondered why so many of the winter clothes on offer are so dull and gloomy. I don't think it will ever change.

Nelliemoser Thu 27-Oct-16 11:38:18

I have the same problem. Dull muddy colours do nothing for my skin tones. When I went for a colour consultation it brought that home to me very clearly. The designers do not cater for everyone they go for what is deemed fashionable. I have no luck at all with Next's clothing colours.

rosesarered Thu 27-Oct-16 11:40:54

I do think it depends where you look, although I don't like any really bright colours for Winter, mainly buy black, grey, aubergine, plum etc.Some times buy green.

TriciaF Thu 27-Oct-16 11:58:36

I like different shades of pink - you don't see many of those around now. I also like plum and aubergine.
Woolovers still have a good range of colours, but they've put up their prices a lot in the last 2-3 years.

DaphneBroon Thu 27-Oct-16 12:17:03

More than happy with some of the blues/greys/rich reds/winter whites /deep pinks around smile
Shame about camel and brown - can't wear these since my hair went white, but you can't have everything!!

TriciaF Thu 27-Oct-16 12:50:14

Voila!
www.woolovers.fr/women/jumpers/womens-cashmere-and-merino-polo-neck-jumper-pink-4857
I might order it - the only problem, if you get a mark on it, very difficult to wash off. Dark colours don't show the marks and dirt so don't need to be washed so often.

Teetime Thu 27-Oct-16 12:58:14

I agree I like the rich jewel colours for Autumn eg purple, claret, emerald all I can find is mud.

SueDonim Thu 27-Oct-16 13:58:41

The 1970's have returned! A friend and I were in Debenhams at the weekend and went round the women's dept saying 'I had a dress like that in the 70's. Ooh, I wore blouses like that! Ah, I had a jumper that colour!'

I'm an 'autumn' colour so the current colours do suit me but I like bright cheery things too. I think you can find that kind if stuff is you steer away from fashion ranges and go for more classic looks.

hildajenniJ Thu 27-Oct-16 14:04:10

Oh how I wish for brighter colours in the winter. I have a black uniform, and want a complete change when I'm at home. Why do the fashion designers think that when the sun goes below the horizon we should all go into hibernation. Winter is dull enough, without dull clothes to match!

Nelliemoser Thu 27-Oct-16 19:23:02

TriciaF that link came up in French.

squirrel5 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:32:32

I agree about the boring clothes colours this year, it doesnt exactly entice prospective buyers.

Battersea1971 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:43:50

Problem is they don't cater for fashionable reasonably priced clothes for older women. Most are dowdy and old fashioned. Places like Debenhams and M & S have nothing to offer now. And the younger women don't shop in these stores. Maybe we could suggest places for fashionable clothes for older women. I like Poetry and Wrap that you can get on line, but are quite expensive so only buy in their sales. Anyone else any suggestions. I am waiting for a knee operation at the moment so internet shopping is easier than trawling round the shops.

shysal Fri 28-Oct-16 10:58:14

I bought one of these recently, and have been amazed at all the conversations that have been struck up with strangers admiring it! It lifts my mood as soon as I put it on.

Funnygran Fri 28-Oct-16 10:59:40

I went into Debenhams last weekend as there was a sale or some sort of offer on. I wasn't even tempted to try anything on, I totally agree about some of the things on the rails being frumpy or dowdy. Had a bit of a job finding anything in M&S but was determined since I had a 20% off voucher. Bought boots and leggings in the end and then found a lovely Twiggy jumper online so ordered that too before the voucher expired. I justify it by looking at how much I've saved not how much I've spent!

DianneAngel Fri 28-Oct-16 11:10:58

Winter is coming. Grunge is back in clothes shops. Ugh. I want colour bright and sassy. hugs

Beammeupscottie Fri 28-Oct-16 11:11:55

I made a red coat (easy kimono style) from the material linked below. I can recommend this wool/cashmere fabric highly - very warm, easy to sew and cool washable. Best of all, very cheap. You can make a coat for under £20.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THICKER-WARMER-WE-ALL-WAITING-4-THE-RED-WOOL-CASHMERE-POLY-COATING-VELVETSOFT-/201697

UkeCan61 Fri 28-Oct-16 11:12:56

I don't know who does the buying for M&S but I tried to use a 20% off voucher the other day and couldn't find a single thing I liked. It's all dull and has no style. Debenhams is the same. It's all so boring!
A few fairtrade sites have nice things - Nomads, Braintree but they are not cheap so I wait for the sale. I like White Stuff and Fat Face but again expensive if you're retired.
I do love a good charity shop find and have been lucky in the last month or 2 - I found 3 lovely tunics an unworn White Stuff one, a Joules and a New Look!

Sheilasue Fri 28-Oct-16 11:25:11

Have got some long sleeved t shirts from marks, deep purple, dark green and a peach colour.

Maggieanne Fri 28-Oct-16 11:49:14

The answer with the latest fashion colours, if you can call them colours, is to dress them up. Colourful accessories will make all the difference, trouble is, I've never been a good accessoriser!(Is that even a word?), I'm sure you all know what I mean though.

Luckygirl Fri 28-Oct-16 11:56:09

Love that * shysal * - my sort of thing!

I went round town yesterday and mostly I stood on the doorway of clothes shops and scanned the muddy colour palette and left!

goldengirl Fri 28-Oct-16 12:10:20

I agree with what's been said too. I love bright colours but can't find them easily. Even Boden jumpers and tees are a bit dull for my taste. I think I'll do a trawl of the charity shops - there's quite a few in my town and more in the next town too.

Diggingdoris Fri 28-Oct-16 12:12:07

Oh how I agree! Winter colours are always , and everything this year seems to be dull orange, dull green or dull purple. All colours that make me look drained. Most of my wardrobe is red or blue shades, so I guess I won't be treating myself to anything new this year. Though I have bought a red coat and a blue Mac from the popular second hand website!

grandMattie Fri 28-Oct-16 12:48:25

You do shop in posh places! grin I have just brought myself some lovely clothes from Tu in Sainsbury's. Plain teal top, and four different tunics in red, violet, purple prints etc. Jewel colours, much admired by all and sundry who couldn't believe it was good old Sainsbury's.

pennyh47 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:53:08

I recently had my colours done and the clothes company they use is Kettlewell who have a lovely range in all different colours. Have a look at the website