Gransnet forums

Chat

Dull Clothes in shops

(71 Posts)
nannynormal Thu 27-Oct-16 11:10:38

is it just me, or do others think that clothes in the shops in winter are boring. why do they have to be all black/grey/brown etc: I want to see bright colours to buy to cheer me up in the winter, not to see gloomy colours.

littleoldlady Sat 29-Oct-16 13:19:42

Have to agree with grandMattie , look in your super markets some jewels on the go colour wise .

Have to agree with grandMattie , look in your super markets some jewels on the go colour wise .

littleoldlady Sat 29-Oct-16 13:19:43

Hilltopgran Sat 29-Oct-16 16:24:41

So frustrating, I have more time to shop for clothes that at any previous time in my life, and just can not find any shop that attracts me. I resort to online shopping, and keep to staples like black trousers and jewel coloured tops, with some nice scarves and a couple of dressy jackets for occasions. We have a wedding to attend in December, can not find anything I like to buy so will get out old favorites.

Caroline123 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:31:56

I agree that all the shops have on offer are dark drab colours.
I've been to two city centres recently looking for shift dresses,and found two in nice bright ish colours in Hobbs,but sadly out of my price range,I'm now looking for warm winter fabric to make a couple myself.

NotTooOld Sat 29-Oct-16 16:53:19

My beef is with the fabrics as much as the colours. In most of the big stores you find a sea of polyester in horrible shades of pink and orange, MandS being, as usual, the worst offender. I did have a look at Sainsbury's TU offering recently which I find quite good for summer stuff but at this time of year it is mostly polyester. There is an Isle of Wight firm called Rapanui who do good 100% cotton t-shirts - they are on the internet - and my other favourites are Whitestuff and Fatface.

threexnanny Sat 29-Oct-16 17:50:45

Very sorry about the demise of Monsoon as just walking through one of their stores full of colourfull clothes was cheering.

DaphneBroon Sat 29-Oct-16 17:53:21

WHAT?!?!?!?
Monsoon has bitten the dust?
That does sadden me sad

M0nica Sat 29-Oct-16 18:15:40

I am very disappointed by the clothes in Sainsbury's this winter. I suspect the selection varies from store to store.

I too agree that the clothes in the shops this year are dull, dull, dull and when they are not dull they are neon orange, or neon red, even in very upmarket shops. I love orange and red they are colours that suits me, but not in the neon lurid shades.

I would also love to see more dark grey coats. I desperately need one but for the last two or three years all the coats have been black, a colour that really doesn't suit me.

Seasidenana Sun 30-Oct-16 08:13:42

Why not use brightly coloured accessories like scarves ? Also don't rule out eBay for good quality clothes cheaper. If you buy known brands you know will fit, and choose a seller with good ratings it's a way of buying nice clothes at a fraction of the price. Always check for items only worn a few times or new.

DaphneBroon Sun 30-Oct-16 08:57:39

M0nica, I am sad that oranges, reds and warm tones no longer do anything for me since my hair turned silver, because I really liked this from EAST. Might it suit you?

LyndaW Sun 30-Oct-16 09:23:12

I hadn't heard that about Monsoon! I agree the sludgy colours of autumn do get a bit much. And I have to laugh every time burgundy is touted as the 'new' seasonal colour (as it is every year!)

Nelliemoser Sun 30-Oct-16 09:47:58

I bought a cashmere and silk pashmina for £2.50 in our local charity shop last week. There are some slight pulled threads but for that price I don't care. It was patterned in blacks and greys but they can be useful. (I put the 50p change in their charity box as I felt they were really under selling it.) It's gloriously soft.

gettingonabit Sun 30-Oct-16 10:07:46

It's not just the colours and materials, though. It's the styles. Is there anything simple and fitted, with a v neck out there in a non-sludgy colour? Most clothes seem to be baggy, with peplums, with frills, with high necks. And all that polyester....no thanks.

But at least they're cheap (ish). Should we moan?

M0nica Sun 30-Oct-16 16:14:12

I am dyspraxic and clumsy, scarves and anything flowing gets caught in my heel, dipped in my food, caught on door handles, and my biggest fear, dragged over lighted gas burners when cooking, so I stick, usually to colour in sweaters and shirts, shoes/boots and sometimes skirts. I have bought a lovely warm sweater from Cotton Traders in shades of blue and turquoise.

For the past week we have been in France and DD and I hit the big warehouse clothing stores in Caen and came back with several sweaters, and pairs of shoes apiece. All at supermarket/High Street prices.

peterjhon720 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:23:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

peterjhon720 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:24:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.