Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas decorations

(24 Posts)
Mumsy Mon 07-Nov-16 10:38:12

Just caught a section on this morning tv re xmas decorations, people have already put their decorations up! I think its far too early mine have never gone up before 1st Dec. (I dont celebrate it now Im on my own) when do yours go up?

rosesarered Mon 07-Nov-16 10:43:02

About the second week into December, and they stay up until ...whenever I can be bothered to take them down, in Jan.?????

ninathenana Mon 07-Nov-16 11:05:25

Someone I used to work with had a birthday on 4th November.
She always put her decorations up to celebrate her birthday shock I've not seen any decorated houses yet but I'm sure it won't be long. My tree and a few other bits will go up around 10th Dec and come down 2nd Jan

M0nica Mon 07-Nov-16 11:29:41

Mine go up a week before Christmas and come down on New Year's day.

JackyB Mon 07-Nov-16 11:32:30

Here in Germany they aren't usually put up until lunchtime on Christmas Eve.

However, for the whole of Advent, there are other decorations, and people start putting up lights in the windows and outdoors wherever there's an electic socket.

But definitely not before Advent starts (this year on 27 November)

glammanana Mon 07-Nov-16 11:43:25

Mine go up on 15th December which is my eldest son's birthday we have always done this 10 days before is plenty of time I think they come down on 12th night.

Synonymous Mon 07-Nov-16 11:46:55

Ours generally go up just before Christmas, sometimes on Christmas Eve, and are down again by Twelfth Night.
I love them when they all go up but, although we only have everything out for a relatively short time, I am so glad when they are all away. confused

Nowadays, when we go away for Christmas we don't bother to put any decorations up beyond the cards - so much easier!

Years ago, when DC were small, I remember a house in the next road to us where the decorations remained up all year round! The house looked very uncared for and the decorations certainly added that 'certain something'! hmm

Juggernaut Mon 07-Nov-16 11:50:32

Ours go up on or around Dec 20th and come down on Jan 2nd!

NanaandGrampy Mon 07-Nov-16 11:52:08

Ours go up the first weekend in December whenever that might be - could be the 1st or the 6th. We leave them up till Jan 4th usually when we take them down.

I love a bit of sparkle and sitting in the dark just with the Christmas tree lights on. Cheers up a dull, grey winter in my opinion.

tanith Mon 07-Nov-16 11:52:27

Up on Christmas Eve and down sometimes a week later or twelfth night . I love it when they are up but soon tire of them and can't wait to pack them away again and get everything back to normal.

jordana Mon 07-Nov-16 11:55:47

My decorations go up on my son's birthday 10th Dec and come down on my daughter's birthday 3rd January. Been doing that for years so will continue

Rigby46 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:58:53

Up mid-December and down on 12th night ( I know people argue about the date). I love putting them up and all the memories that engenders

jusnoneed Mon 07-Nov-16 12:15:22

I don't bother with them now but when the boys were younger they would go up about a week before christmas and down as soon as possible after.

SueDonim Mon 07-Nov-16 12:22:40

Usually the weekend before Christmas here. Any earlier and I find they look tired by Christmas Day. They come down just after NY.

Greyduster Mon 07-Nov-16 12:24:54

I'm a bit of a grump when it comes to Christmas decs. DH loves them and would cram every corner with stuff if I let him, and he probably wouldn't take them down! I absolutely won't have them up until the middle of December or later if I can get away with it and then down again ASAP. Bah humbug! wink

grannylyn65 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:14:07

Bah humbug indeed !!!!?

Teetime Mon 07-Nov-16 14:17:02

Ours will go up on 15th Dec this year and come down on 31st Dec- I like to start the New Year with a nice clean, uncluttered house and I cook a special dinner (we don't do NYE).

hildajenniJ Mon 07-Nov-16 14:24:31

My birthday is the 11th December. My parents always put up the decorations and the tree in time for my party. I have carried on doing so ever since I left home. I don't think that two weeks before Christmas is too early. ????

whitewave Mon 07-Nov-16 14:40:15

I love Christmas and love the whole paraphernalia. Usually decorate mid December and take down twelfth night.

Daddima Mon 07-Nov-16 16:37:11

The Bodach and I won't be here, so the pop-up, ready decorated tree will go up on 27th for the chiltern.

J52 Tue 08-Nov-16 15:36:25

Up a week before Christmas Day, then down on the 4Jan. The day before my birthday.

rubylady Wed 09-Nov-16 01:04:47

I've brought mine downstairs today but, as I have a poppy display where my little tree goes, I will wait until after Remembrance Day until I put the tree up. Then I will add other decorations as and when I feel ok to do so or I get some help. Big paper pom poms to put up this year in cerise and lime. And the old paper streamers, same colours. Balloons too and my tiny tree. Fairy lights ordered and window stickers too. I bought two light up canvases last week and have converted to battery operated candles so it will be very grotto like, hopefully. smile

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 11:18:15

The effort it takes to put them up would drive me crazy if only for a week.

We put ours up about the second week of December and take them down when people return to work and the kids go back to school. Why, because we love the cheeriness of it all and so do the children.

Linsco56 Wed 09-Nov-16 11:23:59

We put ours up the middle of December (well, I put them up as DH doesn't have a clue!) and take them down 2nd/3rd January.

The house always seems a bit bare afterwards.