Gransnet forums

Chat

Nuisance Telephone Calls

(47 Posts)
Heather51 Wed 07-Dec-16 13:46:02

The number of nuisance calls coming in seem to have increased over the last few weeks, don't know if this is connected with Christmas or not. I am well used to being told that my PC has been infected and that the caller can easily sort this for me hmm but this morning I have received a new one to me.

The call was purportedly from the Telephone Preference Service offering to block all marketeering or nuisance calls for the 'rest of my life' if I would just confirm some details and no he didn't want any financial details just to confirm how I paid my telephone bill and the last numbers of my debit card confused. I insisted on taking his number (which had initially shown on caller I'd as withheld) and after googling it, of course, it proved untraceable.

I contacted BT who confirmed they hadn't called me and that this was a scam, so please don't be taken in.

Icyalittle Wed 07-Dec-16 13:59:19

Haven't had that one Heather51 so thank you. I quite agree that they have multiplied again recently after they went reasonably quiet for a few months. I had 9 yesterday! Mostly a recorded female voice announcing that this was an urgent message for people on benefits (I'm not). But a new one to me was a strident recorded voice telling me sharply that my credit card had been compromised and to press 1 to deal with it. I didn't, but it was very peremptory and I can see how it might be convincing. ALL the numbers were fictitious and I reported them all via the Information Commission Office site, having checked them on 'Who Calls Me'.

hildajenniJ Wed 07-Dec-16 14:05:09

I bought a call blocker. It's a marvellous thing. We hardly get any nuisance calls now, and those that do get through can be blocked by pressing the big red button.

jusnoneed Wed 07-Dec-16 14:28:57

I had that one a couple of times, I just replied "did you mean calls like the one you're making?" He asked what I meant and I said that he was making an unwanted nuisance call so was that what he was referring to. Click.
Another one that annoys me is when you pick up phone and get a woman saying "Nat West, Barclays ....etc" about the mis-selling lot.

HildaW Wed 07-Dec-16 16:45:02

I've also noticed an increase in these calls over last two weeks. We have caller ID so anything that shows up 'International Unavailable' does not even get answered. Other unrecognisable numbers get a curt 'who are you' and it soon becomes obvious its some sort of fishing or scam call - so I just put phone down. My OH has a slightly different strategy - if it sounds faintly genuine (very rare) he will say ' well you've obviously got my details - send a letter' and leaves it at that. Needless to say they never do!

f77ms Wed 07-Dec-16 17:34:19

I have had to switch my phone to silent to stop the calls all day , every day . Will look up call blocker , it sounds as if it could be a good idea for me .

shandi6570 Wed 07-Dec-16 17:45:35

We've also been bothered again in the last week or two after some blessed time without getting calls. I was very taken aback last week when asked to answer survey questions (oh really?). I politely told the gent that I never answered questions via telephone and thanked him for his call (after all, they are only trying to earn a living), to be told very firmly that I could expect to get further calls from him, Madam, indeed to expect to hear from him again confused

Yes, he did ring again and again twice the next day, but after OH answered with a loud bell, the calls ceased. I'm not a happy bunny sad, mainly because I realise that calls like these could be quite frightening to some as I did feel a little threatened.

Kittye Wed 07-Dec-16 18:22:20

My conversation last week went like this
Nuisance caller : hello am I speaking to Mrs E
me: yes
NC: you have a problem with your computer.
Me: who is this?
NC: Windows
Me: oh good we need new windows.
NC: oh no no no no no! Microsoft Windows !!(shouting)
Me: oh you're a window cleaner, good I need my Windows cleaning.
NC : oh no no no no no !!( very frustrated by now)
Microsoft windows. Your computer..
Me: oh I don't have a computer
Nuisance caller cuts off call.
He's not bothered me this week, normally calls 3 or 4 times a week.
It's good playing the dotty old woman ?

phoenix Wed 07-Dec-16 18:32:17

The most frequent current one is "Stacey" from BT Openreach, I've had her 3 times at home, and twice at work! If you do the old 1471 thing,and then put that number into google, it comes up as a frequent scam.

Wobblybits Wed 07-Dec-16 18:43:25

I'd love to get one of the Windows callers. see how long I could string them along for grin

Carol1ne63 Wed 07-Dec-16 19:04:51

hildajenniJ where did you buy your call blocker? That sounds like a good idea. I've definitely seen an increase in calls lately and we belong to the telephone preference service!

Ginny42 Wed 07-Dec-16 19:10:33

I lost it today with a nuisance caller about an accident 3 years ago. Huh? confused In my defence I had earlier dealt with a serious leak from my shower into the hall below and when this person called my mobile, I just yelled, 'Did I invite you to call me? How dare you call my mobile? etc. She said, 'I'll remove you from our database'. To which I yelled 'Please make sure you do that.'

I immediately felt sorry for her, only doing her job after all, but I had compensation for the accident at the time, so these time wasters are simply dredging up old accident reports to be a nuisance with. angry

Elegran Wed 07-Dec-16 19:38:15

And she probably knew nothing whatsoever about that accident, ginny They ring numbers randomly - they get enough right accidentally to make it worth the effort.

Jalima Wed 07-Dec-16 19:52:24

Thanks Heather

thebrums Wed 07-Dec-16 21:31:10

Hi.
Also had some of these calls.I listened to background noise,and found other operators in their call centre are taking BT calls.It seems that the call centre works for various companies,and might be accessing bt customer records to use for other businesses.If this is so,data protection is being ignored,and BT should take action.

lesleyberry Wed 07-Dec-16 21:55:03

I tend to just hang up, get a good few calls every day.

Nelliemoser Wed 07-Dec-16 22:25:34

You have just made me think that we don't seem to have had any for a few weeks now.

Anya Wed 07-Dec-16 22:38:18

Kittye grin

Try this one if it happens again. They'll tell you to log onto your computer, so you say it's taking a long time to boot up, because it's very old, ages in fact. That's the first thing to annoy them. Then they'll tell you to click on 'my computer' ...so you ask how you can click on his computer? They'll try to explain that but you just pretend you can't understand and play up the dotty old dear card. If you can pretend to be hard of hearing that's even more fun.

You can string them along for ages. My record is 11 minutes.

I do miss this fun because it seems ages now since they called me hmm

Greenfinch Wed 07-Dec-16 22:43:48

Nice one Anya ! We usually just say" who told you I had a computer?"

Anya Wed 07-Dec-16 22:56:06

Greenfinch I think I'll try Kittye's idea next time, if they ever ring back again.

Greenfinch Wed 07-Dec-16 22:57:54

Yes I like that too.

harrigran Wed 07-Dec-16 23:57:39

WE had a call at 7.45 this morning from Microsoft about our infected computer, DH told the Indian lady with a very English name very politely to b****r off.

callgirl1 Thu 08-Dec-16 00:41:33

And the lady who says "now that winter`s here" is finally correct, she was calling all through the hot, sunny summer weather!

Wobblybits Thu 08-Dec-16 05:15:13

When they ask what Windows version you are using say 2.10 (two ten). They will assume you mean 10 and ramble on, when they finally realise there was a version 2.10 back in 1988, they will rung off.

Jane10 Thu 08-Dec-16 06:35:55

Our main problem is with autodiallers: its just a recording. As soon as the tinny voice says 'hello' we hang up (and often swear especially as I've usually had to hobble to the phone). These can come in batches throughout the day then a gap of days then start again. Grrrr