Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Remember Tebbit's speech - what would YOU do?

(73 Posts)
granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 14:13:59

If I lived in a war torn country, or a country where there is little hope of an education or a future for my kids- I would be on my bike- or on a boat. I'd risk everything, I think, to try and get myself and the family to safety, and a better future, an education, healthcare and a job... And if need be, I'd go first to find a way, then send the family- or I would get all the money together I could, to send my OH or my older son... to find a way to later bring us along too.

Wouldn't you? BE honest here.

granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 14:14:52

youtu.be/sU_pDM1N7i0

rosesarered Thu 22-Dec-16 14:19:01

Yes, (who wouldn't?) nobody should blame immigrants for trying, but Governments of all countries have a duty first and foremost to their own citizens, and therefore to limit immigration to manageable numbers, and what (who) is required.

rosesarered Thu 22-Dec-16 14:21:17

Norman Tebbit was urging people in the UK to get on their bike and find jobs outside the towns where they lived, not particularly to go global.

DaphneBroon Thu 22-Dec-16 14:25:26

No doubt this will occasion disapproval in some parts, but this is NOT a discussion I will choose to embark on over Christmas.
There are things to do, people whose company I look forward to enjoying, other priorities basically and as I fear it may become contentious in the season of goodwill, I will basically agree with rosesarered and wish those who enjoy a stimulating exchange of views on this topic, much mental stimulation.
Added to which, I feel most of what needs saying has been said already, often at length.

granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 14:31:06

Roses - the world has changed since and has got 'much smaller'. Remember the days when going to the nearest town was an adventure, the Stafforshire 6 towns. We all travel now and the world has shrunk. But even in those days, the English, Irish, Scotts and Welsh did go all over the world to find a new life - look at the origins of the current generation in the USA. Remember Auf Wiedersehen Pets, it was at the time of Tebbit.

Daphne, I don't think we have discussed at all WHAT WE OURSELVES would do. But of course, if you do not wish to discuss this - that is totally fine. Just ignore (was going to say 'get on your bike' but perhaps best not to, hey ;) )

rosesarered Thu 22-Dec-16 14:31:19

Very true DaphneB in fact I have mince pies to go and bake right now.tchsmile

granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 14:35:07

Quite a feat- is you are doing so whilst on your bike, lol.
Great idea- going to make some too.

Jalima Thu 22-Dec-16 14:37:59

My friend is attempting to find enough money to make a delivery to a refugee camp in Turkey (Paypal permitting, another story) - always warm clothes, bedding, towels, toys etc but NOT MONEY because no-one wants any of the refugees to attempt the hazardous journey across the sea.
Many, many of the refugees just long to go home again; many more than would wish to come to Europe.

I should go and bake mince pies too tchsmile

DaphneBroon Thu 22-Dec-16 14:38:27

Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring your thread. Time and a place and all that.

Jalima Thu 22-Dec-16 14:44:22

It's a funny one, though, when I suggested that people could move to another area of the country for work as we did, as per Norman's suggestion, I got my head bitten off on another thread ..... why should they have to do that etc

ah well, can't say right for saying wrong ......

Ana Thu 22-Dec-16 15:20:30

Yes, I remember that thread Jalima, some posters were up in arms at the thought of people actually having to move to where the work is!

Mince pie making for me too, I think...

Anniebach Thu 22-Dec-16 15:48:35

I want to blow a fuse . Not discuss because it's a season of goodwill? Priorities ? Mince pies above human suffering .

Anyone who sings Away In A Manger - Christ and his parents were refugees who fled to save him from being slaughtered

merlotgran Thu 22-Dec-16 15:48:40

Mince pies?

Done all mine

[smug emoticon]

tchgrin

Ana Thu 22-Dec-16 15:54:13

No one's stopping you from discussing the matter, Annie.

Ana Thu 22-Dec-16 15:55:04

In my case the mince pies were a figment anyway!

Anniebach Thu 22-Dec-16 15:55:33

I know Ana,

granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 16:02:29

If you don't want to discuss- may I politely ask you to just keep away and do whatever you want to do, hoovering or mince pies. Thanks- don't waste your time making sarky comments. Talk about time and place. You, the very ones who bit my head off for lacking in sympathy about the Berlin tragedy.

As always, it seems that some lives are worth so much more than others- depending on where they were born, their religion or skin colur sad - yep, close to blowing a fuse.

1000s and 1000s are suffering in Aleppo and elsewhere, igonored- but a few deaths in Berlin or Paris - and the whole world unites in despair.

granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 16:04:06

Then uses that despair to attack and blame the others mentionned - whilst singing 'away in the manger'.

grannypiper Thu 22-Dec-16 16:49:26

granjura maybe if i was in the situation that you have outlined i would have considered the mess of my homeland before i added to my family.
Whilst i mourn any death and suffering, i am not responsible for them and cant carry the world on my shoulders. I wish we had total world peace but there are millions in this world of every creed, colour and religion who dont and there is nothing you or i can do to change that.
Yes we can and should help but if you take a sack of rice and hand out a single grain to someone you wont be helping anyone.

Anniebach Thu 22-Dec-16 17:11:53

One sack of Rice? Just think what millions of sacks could do.

There is enough in the world for everyone's need but not everyone's greed

Gandhi

Jalima Thu 22-Dec-16 17:27:38

Well, I can spend time on here discussing and worrying or I can go and do something practical to help albeit in a very small way.

By the way, who knows what are the rights and wrongs of any situation - this was heartening to see:
www.almasdarnews.com/article/video-christmas-celebrations-begin-aleppo/

f77ms Thu 22-Dec-16 17:29:10

So so true Annie !

granjura Thu 22-Dec-16 17:31:15

Why would we give one grain of rice - when most of us will be stuffing our face and liver so much we will hardly be able to move for days... and our grandkids will get so many presents they just won't have a clue what to do with them for more than 5 minutes?

Ankers Thu 22-Dec-16 17:58:55

The difference I think between what is happening and what I might do is this.

I would stop in the first country that wanted me, not pick one and it had to be that one.
I would not act illegally I hope.

Other things.
I would try and blend in.
I would not try to impose my will.
etc