Gransnet forums

Chat

Different approach from Spanish judge

(9 Posts)
thatbags Fri 27-Jan-17 11:23:58

Salon burglar avoids jail but gets the chair (Graham Keeley in Madrid, for The Times)

January 27 2017, 12:01am,

A judge in Spain has ordered a teenager who broke into a hair salon to go on a hairdressing courseGetty Images
A teenager who broke into a hairdressing salon in Granada has been ordered to go on a six-month stylist course and then cut the hair of the judge who handed down the sentence.

Judge Emilio Calatayud, who sits in the city’s youth court, ordered that the 16-year-old burglar learn the trade. In case the boy is tempted to give the judge an inappropriate style, Judge Calatayud has warned him that he is expecting a professional trim, or the youngster faces being convicted of disobedience.

The youth, who obtained no school qualifications, broke into the salon last May, causing damage amounting to €600. He also stole a hairdryer.

The judge is known in Spain as el padrazo — the adoring father — because he has spared many young criminals jail, making them pay their debt to society in other ways. One boy who liked to draw was sentenced to spend 50 hours creating a 15-page comic that told the story of a boy called Enrique who rode his motorbike without insurance — the crime of which he had been convicted. He then had to show his work to paraplegic patients who had been injured in car crashes.

Swanny Fri 27-Jan-17 11:48:36

Thank goodness the burglar appeared in front of el padrazo and not one of the 'lock em up and throw away the key' brigade. This lad has at least a chance of improving his lot - it's up to him now. I wish there were more judges like this in the youth courts.

mumofmadboys Fri 27-Jan-17 11:56:38

That is fantastic! Let's hope the youngster makes full use of his opportunity.

Christinefrance Fri 27-Jan-17 16:35:53

What an amazing judge, sounds like he has the right idea on rehabilitation for young offenders. Do hope the boy understands how this could turn his life around.

Elrel Mon 13-Feb-17 15:51:30

What a great judge!

grannypiper Tue 14-Feb-17 08:33:49

We need this for first offenders in this country, everyone deserves a chance but only one.My brother spent his teenage years in Borstal but it didnt make a blind bit of difference.

Badenkate Tue 14-Feb-17 08:37:11

I can just imagine the headlines in some of our more right-wing papers if that happened here!

Rinouchka Tue 14-Feb-17 08:37:55

What an astute judge! Turning a negative into a future positive.

Iam64 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:57:19

Your comment made me laugh Badenkate, I've just posted on the other thread about prison expressing despair that we're such a lock them up society. granny piper, Borstal was ended because it was unsuccessful.

My experience is it helps when a Judge reserves a case to her/himself as this Judge has. Won't it be excellent if the intervention here is effective.