Gransnet forums

Chat

UK Police

(12 Posts)
Yorkshiregel Thu 16-Feb-17 16:05:15

Have you ever had a good think about what our policemen have to face every day of their working lives? I am in the process of reading this book, the second one of 'PC Copperfield's' that I have read. The first one was funny, this one is a bit more serious. I think the politician in charge of the police force should be made to read it from cover to cover. You can almost feel the frustration all these policemen from all over UK are trying to express. The world has gone mad. There is a thread about how the Norwegians have a 'holiday camp' near Oslo for offenders. Read this book and see if you think we should introduce it here. I definitely don't. If we did the prisons would be over flowing.

You can get this on kindle for about 2-3 pounds: Very revealing. We need to start again imo.

Wasting More Police Time

Further Adventures in La-La Land

by PC David Copperfield (not his real name)

Ana Thu 16-Feb-17 16:09:42

Our prisons are already overflowing!

Yorkshiregel Thu 16-Feb-17 16:36:38

So build some more!

Ana Thu 16-Feb-17 16:44:28

Yes, it's that simple! Our hospitals are overflowing too...

Grannybags Thu 16-Feb-17 16:54:19

My son is a police officer. He arrests people, they are given a slap on the wrist, he arrests them again, another slap (not literally!!), he arrests them again they get a "final" warning, he arrests them again, they get another "final" warning. They sometimes have as many as 5 or 6 "final" warnings before anything further is done.

Anniebach Thu 16-Feb-17 16:57:12

Your son has arrested the same people at least eight times ?

Grannybags Thu 16-Feb-17 16:59:20

Yes, over a period of several months.

rosesarered Thu 16-Feb-17 17:49:13

Another poster here who has a policeman in the family.....yes,all the warnings are to keep people out of prison.It may well be right to keep people out ( and in a few cases wrong) but it's true that many criminals have no real respect for officers and no real fear of the law either.Not only criminals btw but a lot of the general public as well.If anyone thinks it's an easy job....think again.

Ankers Thu 16-Feb-17 18:21:51

There is a very high divorce rate in the police force. For very good reasons.
Sadly, it is not a job I would recommend to people.

grannypiper Thu 16-Feb-17 18:36:37

Anniebach one young man was arrested in out local town last wweek, it was his third time this year. He knows as well as the copper who arrested him that its a waste of everyone's time. I dont know how the police cope and i have so much respect for them

Christinefrance Thu 16-Feb-17 18:58:59

Yes like all the services, police,fire, ambulance, we hear a lot about the corrupt or problem staff but nothing much about all the good people. Thousands going about their work every day doing things which most of us couldn't cope with on a regular basis. It makes my blood boil when I hear about hooligans throwing stones at firemen or hoax calls to the ambulance service they deserve better.

Iam64 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:34:13

My father was a police officer and I worked closely with police for over 40 years. I am a supporter of the police but as Christinefrance points out, the police force isn't the only branch of public service that is on the receiving end of abuse from the public, or who feel the work they do is totally unrecognised and unappreciated.

It's my belief that underpinning the problems in the Uk can be traced to a problem with anti social and criminal behaviour, often involving the same families. Children who are disruptive, often foul mouthed and aggressive at primary school. There are far too many children growing up with drug/alcohol dependent parents and increasingly, grandparents. People use foul, abusive language in front of and often towards children. Parents/grandparents/carers who are dependent on substances usually provide chaotic levels of care and often expose their children to mood swings, they aren't emotionally available to the children and often fail to protect them. Their children lack routines and often have a poor diet.
We had family centres working to support people whose parenting skills need improving but austerity has led to them being closed. Social work, probation mental health and drug/alcohol services have all been cut to the bone.

As a country we need to support children and families but also to have more effective ways of reducing drug and alcohol dependence and abuse. Talk to police, social workers, nurses, health visitors, teachers - anyone whose work brings them into contact with the public and these issues will be mentioned.
Sorry for the rant folks. The UK is a great place to live, there are so many positives but we have a greater problem with alcohol and other substances than other European countries.