Gransnet forums

Chat

coronation street

(23 Posts)
earnshaw Wed 08-Mar-17 13:19:37

i would welcome opinions on the matter of wolf whistling that seems to be causing unneccessary furore on Corry at the moment, we have Sally with her megaphone and even Ritas joining in, Rosie , who was at the receiving end of the wolf whistling , isnt at all concerned, the lad has now been sacked, i know its only a story line but, come on, get things in perspective, is it that big a deal,

Jane10 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:25:09

Its just an angle to get a good story going re Rosie embarrassing councillor Sally. The wolf whistling is just a pretext for the writers. Chill!

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Mar-17 14:35:53

I think Sally is a really good comic character. I love her snobbery

Jane10 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:41:59

Oh yes. Sally and Liam are very funny as is the airheaded Rosie. Sophie is a good foil for them -always embarrassed at their behaviour. Its well written.

GillT57 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:06:11

Sally and Tim are a great, well scripted couple.

Ana Wed 08-Mar-17 16:06:43

Liam? confused He's only about 4 isn't he? Do you mean Tim, Jane?

Some people (especially on Mumsnet) get very cross about wolf whistling. I don't think our generation found it such a threat, I musst admit...

Jane10 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:15:35

Yes of course! Its Sally and dim Tim!

Karanlouise Wed 08-Mar-17 16:20:10

I love Sally's character and her relationship with Tim makes me laugh out loud sometimes. Glad Rosie is back as she brings even more humour to the programme. About the wolf whistling, this is a debate that has gone on for years and I still don't really know how I feel about it.

Christinefrance Wed 08-Mar-17 17:45:57

Sally is such a great character and enjoy all the family interaction with Rosie,Sophie and Tim. Wolf whistling is not a great problem in my opinion whether directed at men or women. Problems arise when the whistle is accompanied by lewd remarks which can feel threatening.

Karanlouise Wed 08-Mar-17 18:16:15

Agree about lewd remarks christinefrance .

Jane10 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:57:50

I get rude comments as I limp along. The Charlie Chaplin tune shouted out. I can't think how to write it though. Sorry.
Nice bunch of workmen (irony alert)! I just think 'well you're the ones doing the hard outside job and I'm on my way back to my car to get back home to a nice cup of tea.' Keeps me smiling!

BlueBelle Wed 08-Mar-17 20:30:35

I used to love getting wolf whistles can't see what they re worried about nowadays just a simple form of admiration

Corrie is great I love it I think Tim has come into his own lately

suzied Thu 09-Mar-17 07:10:04

I think little Amy is turning into a great character

Charleygirl Thu 09-Mar-17 07:35:57

I think that Amy is a rude brat.

Christinefrance Thu 09-Mar-17 08:14:15

I think Amy has to hold her own against her very difficult mother and has developed this way of coping. Yes I do know its fictional. smile

hulahoop Thu 09-Mar-17 08:32:14

I think Sally and Tim are very entertaining sorry but can't stand Rosie . I can't remember last time I heard builders wolf whistle and it's never bothered me either way .

henetha Thu 09-Mar-17 10:43:21

The young actress playing Amy is very good, isn't she.
I love this Sally storyline at the moment, it's funny.
Being Sally, she's gone over the top of course. No way does that young man deserve to lose his job. I haven't been on the receiving end of a wolf whistle for years, but never found it offensive. Too much over-reaction these days.

suzied Thu 09-Mar-17 11:14:32

Not sure about the Sinead-Daniel storyline tho.

Jane10 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:36:20

I wonder though. I bet this is a situation young people have been in often over the generations. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Its good how Ken finally has a child who is like himself. Its history repeating for him. Remember him and Val?

Grandma2213 Fri 10-Mar-17 02:26:48

I love Corrie. Yes it is a soap and can be far fetched but it also deals with real life issues, unexpected pregnancy, loss of a baby and IVF to name but three recent storylines. I like the mix of serious and tragic alongside the everyday relationships, Yes there are some actors who are 'not so good' but others who are brilliant eg Roy and Hayley with the cancer storyline had me openly weeping, as did the loss of Steve and Michelle's son.

Now ..... wolf whistles - I used to find them quite flattering - not that I had that many! I never found them intimidating as there was clearly no intention of anything other than appreciation.

Cindi Fri 10-Mar-17 02:57:40

I love Corrie!

Karanlouise Fri 10-Mar-17 10:49:13

Totally agree with you grandma2213. I love the balance of serious, tragic and the fact that they bring real life issues to light. Also love the humour. Have a good day everyone. smile

goldengirl Fri 10-Mar-17 11:22:38

I don't watch Corrie but I certainly didn't mind be wolf whistled at in my 'yoof'. It was all good banter as far as I was concerned yet today it's taken so very seriously. If you don't like it ignore it is what I say.