Gransnet forums

Chat

Bus passes

(84 Posts)
seasidelady Fri 10-Mar-17 11:24:07

I would like to find out if the senior 's who get the great gift of a bus pass, like myself,
Think it woul be a idea for councils to charge once a year for this, I would not mind paying a payment of £20.00 to help with Social care, & NHS.
I have often heard young people, & Bus drivers make a off remark about us getting a free trip.
Our area used to charge £25.00 a year for a pass, & you only got the fare half price,
So what do you think of this.

Seasidelady

Badenkate Thu 16-Mar-17 17:28:51

I do enjoy going for free on top of the double decker buses when we go to London. And I'm afraid I sulk terribly if I don't get the front seat blush

TriciaF Fri 17-Mar-17 11:01:13

Gillybob and Trisher - that's interesting, we may go back there eventually.
I used to love getting on the bus to Newcastle with someone else and saying "Two to Toon please!"

Eloethan Fri 17-Mar-17 11:13:08

I have noticed that "small charges" soon turn into bigger charges and then much bigger charges.

I use my freedom pass a lot. If I did not have it, I would probably think twice about regularly travelling outside of my local area. I think it is important for older people to be encouraged to keep active and take an interest in cultural and social events going on around them. Physical and mental health will deteriorate if people become less likely to venture further than the local shops.

gillybob Fri 17-Mar-17 11:17:27

I agree Eloethan but the cost of travelling by Metro and Bus around here for young people and families is ridiculous. Surely there could be some kind of compromise.

Izabella Sat 18-Mar-17 11:37:16

Cornergran a good question. To give you an idea it was my pension day last week. My account after paying all bills and food is a balance of £34 until next month.

overthehill Sat 18-Mar-17 21:04:03

Maggiemaybe surely you have a bus pass don't you?

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Mar-17 22:53:44

No, overthehill, I'm a mere babe* of 62, so four more years to wait until I get my bus pass.

* I wish! [grin

paddyann Sat 18-Mar-17 23:47:06

bus pass at 60 here ,I didn't apply for one as I dont often use the bus.For people who do they are a godsend,we had a friend sadly no longer with us who hopped on buses and travelled the country ,a different place every few days for lunch.He was a widower and would probably have sat at home in front of the TV otherwise .Instead he was out and about and meeting new people .I'm sure many find the pass a lifeline